Scottish Elections Result

Caporegime
I know absolutely nothing about politics. Can someone explain why Scottish independance is so popular?

The majority of Scots want a referendum on independence, with the majority of Scots wanting to remain part of the UK. And it's understandable, isn't it? Given how much they get from the UK.

Soldato
Couldn't the UK government take all their assets just before independance, it would truly screw the country becoming independant because they woudn't have any police cars, fire engines, millitary equipment, government computers, or anything.

Not that they would ever actually do that :p

Caporegime
well you can have your independance as far as im concerned, dont expect the north sea oil though :D we invaded other countries for less lulz

Don
It's not, a vote for the SNP isn't a vote for independence. Now the SNP have a majority, they will have a referendum, and it will be a unanimous no.
I wouldn't go as far as saying it would be a unanimous no, recent polls show 40% support it, against 44% not for it. Who knows how this election result will sway people.

Soldato
This local election is unique in that we currently have a UK government that Scotland didn't vote for (Tory and puppets). Labour won't make the blindest bit of difference and the Lib Dems can't be trusted. With the SNP we will see changes that actually effect Scotland; which we have started to see already with the previous minority government. The question right now isn't about Independance, but making our own decisions.

It's a fantastic result for Scotland. I just hope David Cameron starts to respect the voice of the Scottish voters. Which he clearly doesn't just now.

Caporegime
I wouldn't go as far as saying it would be a unanimous no, recent polls show 40% support it, against 44% not for it. Who knows how this election result will sway people.

I'm sure they'll use the financial crisis card to good effect, whilst carefully not mentioning Scottish Banks, etc. It won't take much clever spin by the SNP to get the vote they want.

Caporegime
This local election is unique in that we currently have a UK government that Scotland didn't vote for (Tory and puppets). Labour won't make the blindest bit of difference and the Lib Dems can't be trusted. With the SNP we will see changes that actually effect Scotland; which we have started to see already with the previous minority government. The question right now isn't about Independance, but making our own decisions.

It's a fantastic result for Scotland. I just hope David Cameron starts to respect the voice of the Scottish voters. Which he clearly doesn't just now.

So you don't want independence because being a member of the UK is clearly beneficial to Scotland, and yet you want the ability to make your own decisions, lets use free tuition fees as a rather basic example. Thats possibly nothing to do with the fact that the money received from the UK helps you achieve these desireable factors?

Caporegime
Alex Salmond said that Scotland would'nt have been able to handle the financial crisis alone. He is a realist.

What will realism have to do with the SNP trying to push a yes vote on the referendum? And when has what a politician said in the past affected what they say in the future? The SNP will do everything they can to paint Westminster in a bad light in order to get the result they desire.

Back
Top Bottom