Scottish Elections Result

Permabanned
OP
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/briantaylor/2011/05/shout_of_joy_for_snp.html

This is probably the best summation of the election campaign by the partys.

It also mentions what I have said before - SNP win does not equal a call for independance merely they were good at the job over the last term.

I quite like Brian Taylor! Where as with Glen Campbell now....

Given the tough decisions they now have to face they cannot blame others. The people will give it's verdict next time.

They haven't blamed anyone for much in the past so I don't see why it would start now. They correctly identified and highlighted where the spending cut to the block grant is coming from, and why.

Other than that, it's been relatively fine.

And in case you haven't noticed, the people have just given their verdict.

And that is an SNP majority government.

What they will have in five years time is the chance of offer its verdict on that term, then.

Permabanned
OP
Congrats, and under a PR system too

The honours go to the campaign teams and candidates of course, but yes I am very pleased thank you.

Yup, the SNP not only punched through the Labour designed anti-SNP glass ceiling at holyrood, but while doing so they also grabbed them by the scruff and repeatedly landed body blows until they were rolling about the floor. Metaphorically speaking, of course.

Hooray for common sense and a total rejection of negative politics.

anyone would have thought given the AV campaign that it would be impossible... ;)

:p

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
I only have a odd few pictures of the historic campaign sadly;

Debate about to start...

110503192425.jpg

Family getting a quick photo op..

peeblesx.jpg

A rest for wee eck..

peeblesy.jpg

Dog that thinks its a fox. Looked after her so a woman could go in to vote and yes I was a bit bored. Nice doggy though.. (looks like a german shepard head?)

110505165950.jpg

And no, this of course had nothing to do with me but the ironic summary of the whole campaign was worth a quick snap..

110505200426.jpg

:p

Permabanned
OP
Probably because the main age-old argument is Scottish independence from the Union.

I have to say it's a bit more unique than that, again if the disparity is that concerning for English tax payers they should be moaning about the lot.

Not just below average Scotland.

Permabanned
OP
So If Scotland became independent and was successful does it pretty much seal the fate of the UK?

Not if the Unionists are right, it would be way better off without us.

I believe that dismantling the UK is in all of our long term interest though.

Can't see it staying together without Scotland really.

They technically could, but I don't think it would be worth it to continue myself..

Permabanned
OP
If Scotland becomes Independent, that will basically mean that England and Wales will be run by the Conservatives for the next million years won't it? Doesn't England vote predominantly Tory?

Near enough.

Not only this, but the massive swings to the SNP effectively means they are increadibly unlikely to overturn the seat majorities next time round either.

They aren't wiped off the map, but it's near enough. Westminster and holyrood voting intentions clearly are varied and disconnected, but this will start to have a cross over effect.

In pictures;

2007;

2007a.jpg

Now;

2011ys.jpg

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
Permabanned
OP
Most people round here who vote SNP are proper knuckle draggers who can't get beyond their hatred. They fail to see beyond SNPs claims they will have a referendum for independence and instead seize upon it as a means of letting that hate out. It's undeniable that SNP have picked up a lot of votes from neanderthals who wouldn't normally vote but can only see an option of splitting from the Union.

I never had anyone mention independence to me really, the clincher was council tax freeze.

Permabanned
OP
*jumps ship*

So... if you get independence, can the North East go with you? Then we just need a republic of London and the Tories can pretty much please themselves :p

lol.

I wouldn't say no there are a few cultural similarities as well, but it couldn't be immediate it would drown the potential.

After a while if the North East is still lacking required attention and investment from Westminster, hell why not.

Permabanned
OP
In addition to this, where has the myth that Scotland would own the North Sea oil reserves in the event of accedence from the union come from?

Scotland has a claim for Scottish North Sea Oil, not ALL north sea oil.

(are you actually being serious here? If it is a myth, you've just made it up)

North sea oil reserves are owned by five countries.

Irrelevent.

In the event of Scotland splitting from the UK, the Continental shelf convention would need to be reworked, and ratified differently, it does not automatically mean that England would lose access to North Sea oil reserves.

Absolute make believe.

Try harder.

Permabanned
OP
Yeah, thats better. You seemed to miss the part where I said that i voted for SNP, im happy that they have a majority and Im willing to give them a chance, im even happy for a vote on independence but also pretty confident it would get turned down once and for all.

At present, yes I totally agree.

The coming decade is our chance to show the Scottish people that there is the chance of another viable direction.

Permabanned
OP
as far as im concerned you can have your freedom, dont expect us to help when it goes **** up

We would operate like any other small country in that regards.

or someone declares war on you

Very very unlikely, and no European country will be attacking another neither will neighbours stand idly by and watch agression.

Scotland will have armed forces appropriate for self defence, nothing more.

We wouldn't invite a declaration of war, no one would be interested.

Back
Top Bottom