Significant age gaps in relationships

Caporegime
Divide by 2 plus 7.

^^^ This, not necessarily a hard and fast rule but basically the right idea

In general, I reckon up to 10 years but it can probably be widened when you get a bit older, things like income, status etc.. come into play, within reason...

For example, Leonardo DiCaprio regularly gets grief for this - he's 46, his current girlfriend is 23... so a 23 year age gap, that causes social media criticism "she's half his age" etc...

Suppose instead Leo is 60 and starts dating a 37-year-old - same 23 year age gap, but no longer a young-early 20s that women get jealous about, fits the half age + 7 rule too, no one would care.

Ben Affleck, he's around Leo's age - 48, he was recently in a relationship with Ana de Armas (the lucky *******!) - she's 32... so a 16 year age gap... no one really cares about that age gap, it fits the rule.

I think the general principle of a larger gap being fine as the ages increase is pretty sound.

Soldato
Your age; decade tens numeric x 2 and that equates to range from your own age.
If you're 20 | 2 x 2 = 4 so between 16 and 24.
if you're 40 | 4 x 2 = 8 so between 32 and 48.
if you're 60 | 6 x 2 = 12 so between 48 and 72.

*drinks more beer*

Caporegime
Have i got this right

So that could be a 80 year old with an 47 year old

So which 47 year old blokes here have an 80 year old girlfriend/Wife :D

Yeah, it breaks down a bit at each end of the range, especially in the older categories, but the principle is sound and it seems fine for say 18-50-ish... maybe older too if rich/high status.

For example at one end an 18 year old can date a 16 year old+ and at the other end a 50 year old can date a 32 year old+ etc....

Soldato
MrsHB is 8 years older than me and no issues. My dad was 17 years older than my mum. They had a successful marriage and two children, however it did mean he died when I was younger. He died at 67 when I was 20.

Soldato
At my age I think maybe over 38ish is the cut off, I am mid 50s but in good Condition, tbh the people I get on with most at work are the younger females, not in a pervy way, just frivolous conversation and the humour ,positive outlook they have

Soldato
As long as both parties are legal and consenting, who cares? One of the good things about living in the middle of a couple or three universities is the sheer amount of pubs and bars dripping with students. Or at least it was, before Covid.

Soldato
At my age I think maybe over 38ish is the cut off, I am mid 50s but in good Condition, tbh the people I get on with most at work are the younger females, not in a pervy way, just frivolous conversation and the humour ,positive outlook they have
You sound exactly like a mid-50 year old who think they're in good condition.

Soldato
At 35 my limit would be (roughly) 25 to 40

It would only be 40 if the if the girl was active etc.

Actually a early 30s girl is the last type I'd want to date. They are likely to either have no kids and want them.. Soon. Or have young kids. Obviously if they don't want kids that's fine.

As someone who doesn't want kids if I was dating now I'd definitely consider someone older who's already done the kids thing

Come to Sheffield. By early 30s most are grandmothers on certain estates :p

Soldato
If you want see some big age gaps go to Asia. There's loads of fat older men with young pretty wives and I don't think it's looked down on socially. If those women were in the West, I'm sure they wouldn't be seen dead in public with old men.

I know a couple and the guy is 30 and the women 40 (good looking for 40). My wife winds me up about having a nice young man in reference to this couple. But I pitty that guy in 10 years time, I'll bet they aren't even together, but who knows.

Soldato
I’m 40 and my husband is 52 and he has two grown up children. We don’t think about the age gap, it’s never really been an issue. I was a little worried about what my parents take on it would be when I first introduced him to the family but they love him.

We laugh every day. I think that’s what makes it work.

Back
Top Bottom