Siliconslave's how to make espresso thread

Got the DF64 today, seasoned this evening, can't dial in until tomorrow evening as Nil By Mouth from 07:00 tomorrow :(

foIEclJ.jpeg

Further to your advice - when would you advise spritzing the beans? Just before putting them through the grinder? Worried that any moisture on the beans might affect the grind.

just before putting them in the grinder, your only putting around 2 little spritzes of water, max of around 0.2g water for 18g of espresso. Apparently it doesn't effect the grinder long term and while yes it'll effect the grind its not going to make it a soggy mess or anything!

I would try it without the water into the beans first and see the results. Both static and also taste in the cup.

For me, static isn't too bad from the Niche and the taste is fine. My negative feeling is that it makes some beans sticks at the top and I need to push it in, when I open the chamber up to check, I can clearly see clumps of grind that is harder to shift. There are also people in the Niche group on FB that has been spraying a while (12 months) and their burrs are tarnished, whereas mine looks new still. They've had their Niche a year and I've had mine for since May 2020.

So....no spritz for me.

Last edited:
christmas decadence - daily espresso machine hot chocolate - substituted sugar by a tbs of xmas JS's brandy cream

Not that specific mod, but I did mod the grinder to allow it to grind finer (forget what the mod was called now).
if you have any problems optimizing extraction time - then stepless is useful, rather than, say, just tamping harder, because you find it runs through otherwise.

I can't seem to find anywhere stocking a kingrinder k4, does anyone know of any where holding stock?

Additionally Is there a good alternative anyone can suggest. Mainly want it for espresso and aeropress grinding.

Just ordered me a grinder finally. What absolute hell finding the 'ideal' one for ones needs. In the end I opted for a Baratza Sette 270. I'll use a single dose hopper instead of the gigantic stock one with my Bambino Plus.

Stocks for Manual and Electric grinders since December have been an absolute joke.

Last edited:
Just ordered me a grinder finally. What absolute hell finding the 'ideal' one for ones needs. In the end I opted for a Baratza Sette 270. I'll use a single dose hopper instead of the gigantic stock one with my Bambino Plus.

Stocks for Manual and Electric grinders since December have been an absolute joke.
What was the best price you found it for

£299 from Coffeehit along with the single dose hopper for £22. Prices seemed to vary massively from retailer to retailer.

Just need to wait for it to arrive and be prepared to be deafened as it’s meant to be loud but fast.
Same place I’ve bookmarked thank you

Can anyone confirm that there isn’t a better bean to cup machine than the Bambino Plus and Barratza Sette 270 combo for a similar cost. I’m ready to take the plunge, my original budget was £500 but happy to go to around £600 for this combo

Can anyone confirm that there isn’t a better bean to cup machine than the Bambino Plus and Barratza Sette 270 combo for a similar cost. I’m ready to take the plunge, my original budget was £500 but happy to go to around £600 for this combo
I’m biased - but separate grinder and machine gives you more options in the future if this becomes a rabbit hole. I’ve used a friends bambino plus and it’s a great machine all round. Only quirk is the portafilter size but given how popular it is there’s a lot of 54mm accessories around now compatible with it.

I’m biased - but separate grinder and machine gives you more options in the future if this becomes a rabbit hole. I’ve used a friends bambino plus and it’s a great machine all round. Only quirk is the portafilter size but given how popular it is there’s a lot of 54mm accessories around now compatible with it.
Could you elaborate on the porta filter size, I didn't realise this could be an issue, do you mean as in it is too small?

I think most, if not all Bean to Cups will be beaten by a portafilter machine of any kind mainly because you've got complete control over almost every variable - mostly the grind size. With my Bean to Cup on the far right (new bambino temporarily next to it) I have a wheel for grind size, which is at the finest setting and I can't go any further, nor can I clean and access the burrs without ripping the thing apart. Otherwise it has been a solid workhorse for 4yrs. It produces a nice enough espresso but I'd like more control - both a good and a bad thing I suppose.

I buy beans from a few roasters, primarily Rave and I've always felt I am not getting the best out of them unless I have proper control over the grinding aspect, which is obvious I suppose. The Bambino+ is my entry point into making a proper espresso.

z5eHGGul.jpg

Last edited:
Could you elaborate on the porta filter size, I didn't realise this could be an issue, do you mean as in it is too small?
Size is absolutely fine - more just the mass market is 58mm portafilters so more accessories traditionally at that size but given how popular 54mm sage machines are you see lots more 54mm accessories (portafilters, baskets, dosing rings etc) than you used to.

can you go ridgeless or convex at 54mm.
Unhappy with LaMarzocco 17g ridged basket , extraction typically too fast & inconsistent with about 15g dose and also wet puck ( lot of space above coffee) so tried a change to the IMS Italian option 18g but ridgeless and also has slightly convex base.
So far getting better results, was concerned that the ridgeless might drop out, knocking out, but holds fine with pf spring and yes I guess it does help for puck ejection.

basket_zpslqjkgmm7.jpg~original

After researching about LM (I had originally been disappointed by finish)
that is what they say anyway - but I do not have one of those.

Back
Top Bottom