*** Sky TV Cancellation & Negotiation Thread ***

Soldato
I just got a letter saying they're upping the price of my Sports channels because they're adding HD to it, which means less than nothing to me. the letter also said i could get a Sky+ HD box for free - is there any benefit to this? i'm still using the old white box i got about 15 years ago. don't know if there's any benefit to the HD box if i'm not going to be watching any HD [old TV]. don't want the carry-on if they make some stipulation of having to have the box permanently connected to a phone line, like they used to for my current box.

Caporegime
I just got a letter saying they're upping the price of my Sports channels because they're adding HD to it, which means less than nothing to me. the letter also said i could get a Sky+ HD box for free - is there any benefit to this? i'm still using the old white box i got about 15 years ago. don't know if there's any benefit to the HD box if i'm not going to be watching any HD [old TV]. don't want the carry-on if they make some stipulation of having to have the box permanently connected to a phone line, like they used to for my current box.
You should get a wireless +HD box which uses the Internet so no need for a telephone connection. And I noticed a slight picture improvement watching HD on an SD TV as well.

Also as many have said before, this is why HD isn't standard. Many have no use for it.

Associate
Just for reference for everyone, I have just negotiated with Sky for,
Q 2Tb (4K)
Q mini
Movies
Box sets
Kids
Entertainment
(basically all TV without sports)

£41 per month and a one off upfront of £20.

I could have had it without Q mini for £29 P/M

For clarity, I don't have BB or phone with Sky, I tried to negotiation with them on their 80Mb MAX but they just couldn't match most others , so went to Plusnet.

Soldato
You should get a wireless +HD box which uses the Internet so no need for a telephone connection. And I noticed a slight picture improvement watching HD on an SD TV as well.

Also as many have said before, this is why HD isn't standard. Many have no use for it.
ta for the info. i have nothing against HD, my AV set-up upstairs isn't hooked up to the skybox though. i still tape everything on VHS so i think that probably negates any actual HD broadcast :D i understand the boxes now had a harddrive, but the last time i looked into such things they said stuff like the WWE PPVs couldn't be added to the Sky+ box [preumably for piracy issues] so i'd still need the ability to output to my VHS cos i'm not staying up till 5AM to watch stuff!

Soldato
well as i said, the last thing i read said you couldn't record it on the box. if i could do that i'd have no use for the VCR any more.
quick look at an old page from april says "Only bookings via Sky TV remote are recordable using Sky+." ~ i couldn't book through the box as i don't have it connected to the phone line any more, i just book online.

Caporegime
well as i said, the last thing i read said you couldn't record it on the box. if i could do that i'd have no use for the VCR any more.
quick look at an old page from april says "Only bookings via Sky TV remote are recordable using Sky+." ~ i couldn't book through the box as i don't have it connected to the phone line any more, i just book online.
So if you can connect your box to the internet wirelessly then you can book through the remote.

Man of Honour
Just for reference for everyone, I have just negotiated with Sky for,
Q 2Tb (4K)
Q mini
Movies
Box sets
Kids
Entertainment
(basically all TV without sports)

£41 per month and a one off upfront of £20.

I could have had it without Q mini for £29 P/M

For clarity, I don't have BB or phone with Sky, I tried to negotiation with them on their 80Mb MAX but they just couldn't match most others , so went to Plusnet.

Details on how this negotiation was done would be nice :)

Associate
So just seen that sky today are doing Fiber unlimited for £25 a month with a £100 pre paid Mastercard which seems decent but if I was to look at adding sky entertainment would be £40 a month with no pre paid card. Not sure if it is good value to be honest.

Any thoughts?

Soldato
So just seen that sky today are doing Fiber unlimited for £25 a month with a £100 pre paid Mastercard which seems decent but if I was to look at adding sky entertainment would be £40 a month with no pre paid card. Not sure if it is good value to be honest.

Any thoughts?

Just an FYI really

NowTV do fibre and landline for £20 a month inc £50 gifcard (12month contract)

Soldato
I've been paying £46 for the last 2 years for the following...

2tb Sky Q box
Multiscreen
Entertainment
Kids
Sports
Cinema

Basically the whole package. I have broadband and mobile with EE.

I had to do the usual cancellation nonsense two nights ago and was expecting to be offered something around £75 or so given that it's going to be going up to £94.
Anyway, without too much messing around, I was offered the same package for £53. Needless to say, I accepted.

Soldato

You dont have to have your telephone line connected anymore pretty sure that stopped ages ago when the internet capable boxes came out - I never had mine connected. Also remember the Sky HD box you get will probably be a refurb as they dont make new ones anymore. ie if you join as a new customer you are only offered the new Sky Q box. Are they still produced by Sir Alan ?

Been out of the Sky loop for a few years now and just found out they are showing all the Tue and Wed Championship football matches live on the red button. Alas NowTv and BT TV Sky Sports dont have red button so I was looking at how much it costs to join Skt as a new customer.

To give you an idea whether its good value on your upgrade/existing customer pack. It would be £40 per month for Sky Entertainment+Sports+Sports in HD+Entertainment in HD then on top they want £199 for the Sky Q 2tb Ultra HD box. I cant believe they still in this day and age charge extra for HD. Sky Sports in HD is £6 reduced to £2 and standard Entertainment in HD is £5. So if it was not on offer it would be £11 for both in HD. When I had Sky last it was £10 for HD, any channel to whether Sport or Cinema.

Also find it annoying they charge you £199 for the box and its not even yours to keep.

All Sky Q kit is loaned to you at no cost and must be returned at the end of your relevant subscription. Sky Q 1TB box: 700GB personal storage. Sky Q 2TB box: 1.7TB personal storage. 300GB storage reserved by Sky.

They get round this as the £199 is classed as a setup fee when we all know in reality its the cost of the box, thats not even yours.

Really turns my stomach that they still are devious and charge this way. Ahh well, I will keep as I am and be better off for it moneywise.

Soldato
So you could easily reduce this without too much trouble. Do you need the old HD pack for the F1? If not, Entertainment + HD is £25pm for 18m. Cinema can be had for £10pm for 18m too. You should be able to get a decent discount on your Fibre too if you look around and talk to the agent about the deals you've found, being specific. I'd say at least £30 for both Fibre and Line Rental should be doable.

£25 Ent+HD, £10 Cinema, MS £12, Fibre + LR £30, Calls £4. £81?

Thx for the advice got a good deal on my broadband just need to speak to TV team now.

Edit; got off the phone with TV Team Entertainment+HD+Kids+Box Sets+SkyQ multiroom £57

So all in all £79 for broadband talk and telly, £42 saved. 12month contract for BB and Phone, 18 months for TV. So I'm saving £500 in the next year alone :eek:

Last edited:
Soldato
I can't see me ever getting sky again under the current business model. You got Zero bargaining power with the Q system. Don't want to pay after your discount contract runs out???? Tough, cancel as you have to return the equipment. They literally have you by the balls.

Exactly the reason I haven't got Q and haven't got my Fibre with them. Bundling your TV, Mobile and Internet together is a very bad idea in nearly every case because the supposed saving just do not materialise and what actually happens is you end paying more for the convenience and then accept crap deals because of the fear of losing a bundled service.

I negotiate every year and if I don't get the deal I want just cancel. My old HD box is still going strong and I've got a brand new sealed HD+ box sitting upstairs when this one bites the dust.
As good as Q is, it can kiss my ring piece until rental scheme ceases or the price premium dies.

Caporegime
Exactly the reason I haven't got Q and haven't got my Fibre with them. Bundling your TV, Mobile and Internet together is a very bad idea in nearly every case because the supposed saving just do not materialise and what actually happens is you end paying more for the convenience and then accept crap deals because of the fear of losing a bundled service.

I negotiate every year and if I don't get the deal I want just cancel. My old HD box is still going strong and I've got a brand new sealed HD+ box sitting upstairs when this one bites the dust.
As good as Q is, it can kiss my ring piece until rental scheme ceases or the price premium dies.

Many people like the rental deal as it means any service calls are also free, one of the biggest complaints about Sky+HD boxes. Also no one complains about Virgin retaining ownership of the boxes? :confused:

Soldato
Many people like the rental deal as it means any service calls are also free, one of the biggest complaints about Sky+HD boxes. Also no one complains about Virgin retaining ownership of the boxes? :confused:

Because Virgin dont price tier the box seperately although admittedly Virgins equipment is awful in the main.

£12 per month for the rental is just silly money on top of the already too expensive subscription and once you are in there is no going back and therefore the price is only going one way though I suppose the £5bn for Premier League has to recouped somehow.

I get it though, its a clever way of selling a product to customer that leaves them with little choice at the end of the contract and from that angle kudos to Sky.

Oh and the service calls arent free, they are built into the £12 per month that you are forced to pay if you want Q.

Caporegime
Because Virgin dont price tier the box seperately although admittedly Virgins equipment is awful in the main.

£12 per month for the rental is just silly money on top of the already too expensive subscription and once you are in there is no going back and therefore the price is only going one way though I suppose the £5bn for Premier League has to recouped somehow.

I get it though, its a clever way of selling a product to customer that leaves them with little choice at the end of the contract and from that angle kudos to Sky.

Oh and the service calls arent free, they are built into the £12 per month that you are forced to pay if you want Q.

Perhaps, but the Multiscreen subscription for Sky+HD was £12 as well without the box ownership?

Soldato
That still leaves the obsured practice of being forced into multiscreen for 4k even if you don't want it. And on that subject I still don't see why a 2 tb box is needed when 1 tb will do. Say the boxes can't do it is a nonsense.

Having 2 separate design boxes for the Q system makes no sense and isn't cost affective. So the 1tb should easily be able to do it.

Back
Top Bottom