*** Sky TV Cancellation & Negotiation Thread ***

Soldato
I definitely know this! I spend more time paging up and down the channel list than I do watching anything. Trouble is, my wife likes the ease of Sky Q.

I had a look at my account on Sky.com and there's no indication when my contract expires. There's a surprise.

Definitely, I was paying in total, £105 a month on TV for privelage of scrolling and then recording things I'd never watch!

She'll get used to an alternative, ease of use is no reason to get locked into a deal. Yeah same with BT, you have to call to find out.

Soldato
I definitely know this! I spend more time paging up and down the channel list than I do watching anything. Trouble is, my wife likes the ease of Sky Q.

I had a look at my account on Sky.com and there's no indication when my contract expires. There's a surprise.
Major bugbear of mine that - you can see your future bills for a couple of months and that is usually a good indication when you're about to go out of contract (they shoot up silly amounts) - but of course nobody will contact you to tell you.
Now Sky have got rid of live chat, you have to either call them up or use the live messaging which seems to have a 6 week delay on replies.

Soldato
Also received the email today to say they are going to put my package up by £4 per month.

I have however just received the £175 cashback through topcashback which more than offsets what I paid for installation so I might well ring them up and threaten to cancel, given I only took the package out at the end of Oct 2019

What gives you the impression you can walk away from your 18 month contract at month 5?

Associate
I just got my email through £6 price hike, I take it I just have to live with it? Recently took an 18 month re contract with the half price movie package deal.

Associate
What gives you the impression you can walk away from your 18 month contract at month 5?
Do you not have the option to cancel when they put the prices up?

I read this on money saving expert, may be wrong of course as it's the internet!

Can I cancel my Sky contract if they increase the price?
If you're still within your minimum term for a Sky broadband or phone contract and are affected by these price increases, you CAN cancel it without paying an early termination charge. To do this you must call Sky within 30 days of receiving its price rise notification.

Associate
There is a lot of small print at the bottom makes no sense to me but I dont see why I should be paying £85 for tv when new comers can be paying around about £55

Caporegime
There is a lot of small print at the bottom makes no sense to me but I dont see why I should be paying £85 for tv when new comers can be paying around about £55
Make sure you’re comparing like for like. We had no end of calls asking why were advertising Sky tv for £25pm when they’re paying £70 and they have Multiscreen, sports, movies and HD and the £25 has none of these.

then check you’re getting your in contract discount or if you’re out of contract call and ask to discuss reducing your package.

Associate
I do have a lot, but I went online and checked my full package that I am on came to £63.

40 mins later on the phone and 3 times on hold so he could ask his manager for "special discounts" I am now down to £59.50. 50p dearer than what I would be being a new customer so I'm happy enough.

Associate
Hi all, new member here! I’d love to get your opinion having given my Sky Q cancellation in at the end of my contract. I’ve been paying for the Entertainment, Sports, HD & Multi-room packages which crept up throughout the contract to £44 a month. I wasn’t prepared to pay £100+ that it would be out of contract.

But since giving my 31-day notice, I’ve had zero communication from Sky retentions - no calls, letters, emails etc.

So I called them a couple of days ago. I negotiated it down to £33, which I admit was good, but she then couldn’t keep that price as there was an ‘error’ and it went up a few pounds. I decided not to take her up on it.

I called them back today and the best they could do was £45.

So what does everyone think I should do? Whenever I’ve given my notice to Sky before (I’ve been with them for a long time), I’ve always had a call from retentions department. But nothing this time.
Do you think now that the notice has run down, that they’ll contact me or should I give it another go in a couple of days time?

Cheers!

Soldato
Hi all, new member here! I’d love to get your opinion having given my Sky Q cancellation in at the end of my contract. I’ve been paying for the Entertainment, Sports, HD & Multi-room packages which crept up throughout the contract to £44 a month. I wasn’t prepared to pay £100+ that it would be out of contract.

But since giving my 31-day notice, I’ve had zero communication from Sky retentions - no calls, letters, emails etc.

So I called them a couple of days ago. I negotiated it down to £33, which I admit was good, but she then couldn’t keep that price as there was an ‘error’ and it went up a few pounds. I decided not to take her up on it.

I called them back today and the best they could do was £45.

So what does everyone think I should do? Whenever I’ve given my notice to Sky before (I’ve been with them for a long time), I’ve always had a call from retentions department. But nothing this time.
Do you think now that the notice has run down, that they’ll contact me or should I give it another go in a couple of days time?

Cheers!

Are you prepared to leave if you don't get what you want?

Associate
Are you prepared to leave if you don't get what you want?

Well the interesting thing to come out of today’s call was that my bills would have continued after today, and tonight after the call I’ve had an email to say ‘We’re sorry that your Sky TV entertainment is going to end’... so although we’ve received the packaging to send the boxes back, maybe they didn’t have me down as leaving anyway, hence why no communication from them?! Very odd.

And to answer your question... I’d rather not leave, no.

Soldato
Well the interesting thing to come out of today’s call was that my bills would have continued after today, and tonight after the call I’ve had an email to say ‘We’re sorry that your Sky TV entertainment is going to end’... so although we’ve received the packaging to send the boxes back, maybe they didn’t have me down as leaving anyway, hence why no communication from them?! Very odd.

And to answer your question... I’d rather not leave, no.

They're totally incompetent.

Well, if you're going to stay anyway you've really not got much bargaining power.

Associate
They're totally incompetent.

Well, if you're going to stay anyway you've really not got much bargaining power.

Yes, I’m not sure whether they’ve only just put me on the official cancellation list despite now coming to the end of the 31 days!

I’ve been a customer for 15 years apparently, & I know that they have the ability to reduce it to low-£30 mark.

Soldato
Yes, I’m not sure whether they’ve only just put me on the official cancellation list despite now coming to the end of the 31 days!

I’ve been a customer for 15 years apparently, & I know that they have the ability to reduce it to low-£30 mark.

I'd hold out for that If I were you, if not go through with the cancellation and see if they come crawling back.

Soldato

Companies don't care how long you've been a customer. No company does. You're just money to them and the longer you stick around the better they like it, but you don't get any special treatment for it.

Soldato

I gave notice to cancel earlier this week and will see if a great offer comes up but if not I'm fully prepared to leave.

Annoyingly we don't have an aerial in our new build so will need to get one installed for Freeview but even picking up a cheap recorder box too will be paid for within a few months given we're not paying Sky £67 a month...

Back
Top Bottom