*** Sky TV Cancellation & Negotiation Thread ***

£9.99 per month for 3 months and then £15 per month from then on or pay <£100 for a roku 3? or some other device?

i know what i would choose.

also i pay i think £2.50 per month extra for sky movies in HD over not having it in my package due to everything else im on plus the deal i got.

you dont have to take out a subscription.

im using it for the iplayer etc and a plex streamer.

(all id use a roku for anyways)

so my cost is £9.99 for the box and thats it.

i have an ATV2 with plex installed. difference being that cost £99

Just to add this this thread:

Phoned sky up this morning (10+ years of having Sky Sports and a while of having phone, bb and HD etc) explained to them that it was too expensive and I wasn't even getting all the services for my 70 quid (the truth, pretty much). The lady on the phone did mention something about being a "loyal customer" but was happy to cancel the account. Will see if they give me a call near the end of the notice period.

Rang up myself about 6 weeks back, got sick of paying £65 for what I've got.... managed to get to £35 after the "I'm leaving, it's too expensive" speech.

Rang up yesterday for Mam, played 45 solid minutes of poker face and only just managed £62 from £85 for 9 months then back up again.... they weren't having it at all yesterday!

Really does seem pot luck after that. Won't be doing the call for my sister, as I can't be bothered with the call tennis again after yesterday.

Rang up myself about 6 weeks back, got sick of paying £65 for what I've got.... managed to get to £35 after the "I'm leaving, it's too expensive" speech.

Rang up yesterday for Mam, played 45 solid minutes of poker face and only just managed £62 from £85 for 9 months then back up again.... they weren't having it at all yesterday!

Really does seem pot luck after that. Won't be doing the call for my sister, as I can't be bothered with the call tennis again after yesterday.

They did that on the phone? It's just a lottery. I can understand that people are more canny with phone contacts and haggling than they used to be and that Sky are more wise to it than they used to be, but I'd really rather that it was just the same price for everyone. No one has to pay extra, no-one gets a stupidly reduced deal. Something like 45-50 quid for a decent package would be fair.

They did that on the phone? It's just a lottery. I can understand that people are more canny with phone contacts and haggling than they used to be and that Sky are more wise to it than they used to be, but I'd really rather that it was just the same price for everyone. No one has to pay extra, no-one gets a stupidly reduced deal. Something like 45-50 quid for a decent package would be fair.

it's just how the market works.

in order for Sky to lure away customer's from VM and VM to lure away customer's from Sky, they offer "new customer" discounts, which are substantial, usually less than half the going rate if you go through quidco, etc.

they then bump the price up once your "loyal" and out of contract.

if you keep paying they are happy.

if you kick up a fuss they will give you a small discount to keep you paying.

either way, it doesn't bother me, as i always go for the best deal when out of contract and with BT now on the scene, there is more competition, meaning even better deals.

it pays to switch company when out of contract, not to stick to one. you are literally throwing money away by sticking with one company when out of contract, unless they offer you a better deal than the competition, which they 99% of the time can't due to cashback.

it's just how the market works.

in order for Sky to lure away customer's from VM and VM to lure away customer's from Sky, they offer "new customer" discounts, which are substantial, usually less than half the going rate if you go through quidco, etc.

they then bump the price up once your "loyal" and out of contract.

if you keep paying they are happy.

if you kick up a fuss they will give you a small discount to keep you paying.

either way, it doesn't bother me, as i always go for the best deal when out of contract and with BT now on the scene, there is more competition, meaning even better deals.

it pays to switch company when out of contract, not to stick to one. you are literally throwing money away by sticking with one company when out of contract, unless they offer you a better deal than the competition, which they 99% of the time can't due to cashback.

Yeah, I realise that, but I think a better regulated market would sort it out and be better for everyone. It's one of the worst aspects of capitalism, without many of the bonuses or benefits as there's such limited competition for TV and fibre broadband (I guess due to the very high outlay costs)

I always switch phone contacts or move to SIM only at the end, but it's a PITA to remember and get round to it just to save a bit when you've been happy with the service. You have to play the system, but it doesn't mean I agree with it, whatever the reasons.

btw: you're not literally throwing money away, you're metaphorically/figuratively throwing money away..

Can I also ask - is it possible now I'm out of contract and cancelled with Sky to sign up with one of the quidco deals? I can use another family member's name and different bank card etc. I've tried to google it, but haven't found anything definitive

Can I also ask - is it possible now I'm out of contract and cancelled with Sky to sign up with one of the quidco deals? I can use another family member's name and different bank card etc. I've tried to google it, but haven't found anything definitive

people say that you can't.

but i managed to do it last week for a relative.

cancelled phone - BT, internet - o2, tv- sky.

then signed up using a different family member's name (same surname) and their bank details at the same address for tv, broadband and same phone line all through Sky, saving them over £60 a month.

the best thing was, they save £60 per month and I get their £160 cashback. so win win for both of us.

Ended up phoning Sky back and asking what they could offer (in light of the fact that retention offers seem to be commonplace, but said it seemed a bit pot-luck). Also said that it would probably save us both a lot of unnecessary hassle. The lady on the phone had to speak to her manager for about 5 mins, but came back with 50% off for 12 months. Much better and no aggro.

Just cancelled our tv now as the amount of TV which is pure rubbish was getting beyond a joke. When I sit on my sofa on a Saturday night and resort to going and playing a game, I knew it was time to cancel. The misses also only really watches channels you can also get on freeview.

We normally pay £50 for TV, HD pack, phone and broadband. They offered me £40, if they took the F1 off it goes to £35. The main reason for Sky was for the F1 so we said no to that.

So TV is cancelled ive kept the phone and broadband. Time to find a Youview box of some sort.

I currently have a Sky BB and Talk package at a discounted £17.50 per month. Sky rang me up yesterday and offered me the HD TV package with every channel bar movies and sports for an extra £7.50 for 12 months. No installation or box fees.

I'm not particularly interested in TV but the missus is and considering we don't have a dish or aerial installed in our new-build house (we dont currently watch live TV), this is a pretty good deal.

The woman on the phone said this is a TV deal they are currently offering, so just a heads up really.

Cancelled my service last night. Originally took the subscription out in 2010, was paying £33 or something a month for HD and Entertainment+ due to being on the old two mix system and keeping that price when it changed. Got offered £11.50 a month discount for 12 months without having to re-contract which I thought was pretty decent, but in the end cancelled anyway. Like matthab said, there's still a lot of times when you can switch the TV on and there's nothing but pure crap showing, and it was a lot of money to pay out to watch on average 2 F1 races a month, half of which are on the BBC.

I'll miss their F1 coverage because it was genuinely good, but I just can't justify paying that much for it.

I currently have a Sky BB and Talk package at a discounted £17.50 per month. Sky rang me up yesterday and offered me the HD TV package with every channel bar movies and sports for an extra £7.50 for 12 months. No installation or box fees.

I'm not particularly interested in TV but the missus is and considering we don't have a dish or aerial installed in our new-build house (we dont currently watch live TV), this is a pretty good deal.

The woman on the phone said this is a TV deal they are currently offering, so just a heads up really.

Entertainment Extra +? that's usually £30+ a month alone, so if you got it for £7.50 that would be 75% off.

I imagine she sold you one of the lower packages on a 50% off deal though, which means not all the channels bar movies and sports. Most likely the basic package.

If it is indeed entertainment extra + you literally robbed them. But i have my doubts as you can see from above, it's a much better deal than even the F and F discount.

Cancelled my service last night. Originally took the subscription out in 2010, was paying £33 or something a month for HD and Entertainment+ due to being on the old two mix system and keeping that price when it changed. Got offered £11.50 a month discount for 12 months without having to re-contract which I thought was pretty decent, but in the end cancelled anyway. Like matthab said, there's still a lot of times when you can switch the TV on and there's nothing but pure crap showing, and it was a lot of money to pay out to watch on average 2 F1 races a month, half of which are on the BBC.

I'll miss their F1 coverage because it was genuinely good, but I just can't justify paying that much for it.

if you don't like whats on tv atm, record all your shows, and watch them when you do have the time.

the wire is being re-run atm.

theres plenty of brilliant shows on tv, you just need to find them and record them to watch when you have the time, look in the tv show section of the forums.

luther, ray donovan, continuum, defiance, suits, sons of anarchy, the walking dead, revolution, homeland, etc, etc.

add in other normal shows like top gear, mock the week, have i got news for you, etc and you should have plenty to keep you going.

theres on demand content as well, so you can watch something at anytime by downloading it to your box.

people who watch crap like corrie and eastenders though every day, i can understand why you wouldnt think it's worth paying for, you couldnt pay me enough to watch shows like that.

but if you get a good deal like the one you were offered £20 a month (£5 a week), there are worse things you could spend that £5 on.

Entertainment Extra +? that's usually £30+ a month alone, so if you got it for £7.50 that would be 75% off.

I imagine she sold you one of the lower packages on a 50% off deal though, which means not all the channels bar movies and sports. Most likely the basic package.

If it is indeed entertainment extra + you literally robbed them. But i have my doubts as you can see from above, it's a much better deal than even the F and F discount.

I've just checked my account and it is "Entertainment Extra+". She confirmed on the phone that it's HD and every channel bar movies and sport.

Not a bad deal then:p

When she ran through the contents of the package, she mentioned that I was getting a free box and installation at £200 and £120 respectively. Now I know nobody ever pays for those two, but my contract is £90 for the year. There is no way they can be making any money from me in the first year. They must be banking on me keeping it on when it goes upto £32 per month or whatever HD and Entertainment Extra+ is.

Last edited:
Yeah, and there's also better things I could spend it on. I'm well aware of what's on but I have The Wire on DVD and Luther was a BBC thing anyway. I watched a couple of shows on Atlantic but I'm not going to go out and fill my planner up just to justify having the service.

Back
Top Bottom