*** Sky TV Cancellation & Negotiation Thread ***

Associate
To be honest Ive never went with Sky due to the really crappy Broadband service in my Area from them. The fact they say you can have a superfaty 3mb line doesnt do anything for me

I think the 100mb from Virgin just wins out- ohh & I get BT Sport for free now too

Caporegime
The only thing extra you have is Movies, as from what I can gather I have Entertainment Extra+ despite the online thing saying otherwise and as I said, I have Talk Unlimited.

The 75% off doesn't include the HD fee so my TV package is
£10.25 HD
£47.50 TV minus £35.63 discount = £11.87

Total of £22.12 for Entertainment Extra+, Sports and HD plus £19.50 for Talk Unlimited and line rental with free broadband.

So you're paying £10 more than I am just for Movies. Adding them on would cost me £2/month but they're not even worth £2 imo!

Edit: classic Psycho Sonny, wades into the thread, is generally obnoxious, is corrected and never comes back.

HD isn't £10 a month, i pay £2.50 with 50% discount, so it's £5 a month full price.

something just doesn't add up, fancy doing a screenshot of your package online and of your monthly bill online?

either way i would phone up and see how much you are paying for HD and if it is £10, ask them why, since it's price is £5.

Caporegime
So it seems that Sky have actually cancelled the broadband and phone without me actually telling them to, and it was too far along for them to stop it from being cancelled and do a home move to the new house, even though I only got a confirmation email last night but luckily the final charge is only going to be ~£50 and not every month until December.

Good news is that I've used a F&F code form MissChief for the new house, move in on the 3rd and TV set up is the 4th and broadband and phone is the 13th.

Soldato
HD isn't £10 a month, i pay £2.50 with 50% discount, so it's £5 a month full price.

something just doesn't add up, fancy doing a screenshot of your package online and of your monthly bill online?

either way i would phone up and see how much you are paying for HD and if it is £10, ask them why, since it's price is £5.

I appear to be on an old package so though I'm paying extra for HD, I'm paying less (nothing) for Entertainment Extra+. The HD price change only happened in the last 12 months IIRC. I'll post a screenshot later if it makes you happy.

Edit: here's the thread about HD price changes; http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18491994

Last edited:

V F

V F

Soldato
I'm not so sure it was. I watched it on Film4HD and it wasn't particularly sharp. I remember watching it on C4HD (i think?) and again I think it was just upscaled.

I also couldn't help notice how bad The Dark Knight Rises was compared to Blu-Ray. One, the full Sky HD version is in constant black bars and Two, it's fairly blurry. Yet the 007 stuff is nearly pin sharp like the Blu-Rays. It puts The Dark Knight Rises to shame.

I can never understand why there's so much inconsistency with a lot of HD films on Sky.

Soldato
I also couldn't help notice how bad The Dark Knight Rises was compared to Blu-Ray. One, the full Sky HD version is in constant black bars and Two, it's fairly blurry. Yet the 007 stuff is nearly pin sharp like the Blu-Rays. It puts The Dark Knight Rises to shame.

I can never understand why there's so much inconsistency with a lot of HD films on Sky.

I agree. Watched part of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, just to compare with my Blu-ray version, but the one Sky showed must have had the brightness up too high. My TV is calibrated properly, but the blacks were terrible when they showed it.

V F

V F

Soldato
Yes. Thats another thing. There's a number of films I've noticed that Sky seems to mess with the colour balance. Sometimes even pushing too much saturation. Big Trouble in Little China was bad for this. I have also seen some films where the blacks are kind of messed up.

Why they do this I do not know.

The Dark Knight Rises pushes some weird subtle dark green through the film unlike the Blu-Ray. Same with Underworld Awakening.

Then there's other films it's like for like.

Soldato
I appear to be on an old package so though I'm paying extra for HD, I'm paying less (nothing) for Entertainment Extra+. The HD price change only happened in the last 12 months IIRC. I'll post a screenshot later if it makes you happy.

Edit: here's the thread about HD price changes; http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18491994

To follow this up, my bill is basically nonsense at the moment due to all the adjustments. I think I've explained myself sufficiently though! :p The working I originally posted is correct.

Associate
I signed up to an "offer" yesterday, I already had sky broadband and phone for which I pay £25.00 a month (including line rental). They offered me entertainment extra 50% off for a year, Free HD box, Free installation, and £40 credit for an extra £7.50 an month. I asked them to add entertainment+ which came to £10.00 extra a month (£35.00 overall for TV,BB,Phone).

Is that a decent deal or have I been had. Got till next Thursday to cancel but it seemed fine to me!

Caporegime
I signed up to an "offer" yesterday, I already had sky broadband and phone for which I pay £25.00 a month (including line rental). They offered me entertainment extra 50% off for a year, Free HD box, Free installation, and £40 credit for an extra £7.50 an month. I asked them to add entertainment+ which came to £10.00 extra a month (£35.00 overall for TV,BB,Phone).

Is that a decent deal or have I been had. Got till next Thursday to cancel but it seemed fine to me!

entertainment extra+ is like £32.50 a month (full price, but new customers never pay full price)

are you on BB unlimited and Talk Unlimited?

if so then line rental is usually like £15 a month (im assuming this is included in the £35 a month and not additional quoted above).

so £20 a month for EE+, BB Unlimited and Talk Unlimited, i would say that is good deal, i would try and get them to throw in a free wireless connector though just to sweeten it a bit more.

Caporegime
Just got an email about sky go extra.I have multiroom so I assume it is free, but if I sign up to 'extra' will that lock me into another 12 month contract?

no, it's a part of multi room now, so your getting it for free as an add on.

just like if the added a new channel to your package like Sky Pacific HD, if you watched that new channel that wouldn't mean a new 12 month contract.

as a result of the above change, we not have a cheaper bill, was paying £2.50 extra for sky go extra and already had multiroom.

Back
Top Bottom