*** Sky TV Cancellation & Negotiation Thread ***

Caporegime
If you want premium channels then Virgin or sky are the only choices afaik.

You could possibly get away with fibre and streaming/downloading services if you are not into live sport

Associate
After 17 years with sky our sub ended on Tuesday, during the cancellation period we never had a phone call and only got one letter offering 35% off.
Guess they didn't value us as customers.

Associate
Have you logged into MySky to check if the 50% offer is there?

Yeah that offer is there, won't take it because when I rang to cancel told them the box was playing up freezing missing recordings etc and the best they could do was offer an engineer visit at my expense or for me to buy a new one.

Associate
I agree it is annoying, but i'm not going to waste my time or money ringing them hoping I speak to someone a bit more favourable.

Associate
Just phoned up to cancel my Sky sub.. Pay £71 just for TV no BB etc and it's way too much..

Good guy on the phone and kept telling me how they value loyal customers like us who have been with them for over 13 years now, to which I said then how come new subscribers get better deals than long time customers :)

Most he could offer was 20% off for 8 months or to consider cutting down my packages. Shame after all this time, but it's gone now and just waiting for the cut off date on the 11th September..

Got a phone call in less than a week with an offer of just under 50% for 12 months no renewal of contract and same bundles as previous..

Wife accepted it seeing as it was only the cost that was our issue.. we can live with that for now..

Cob

Cob

Soldato
All they offered me was £20 off the engineer visit, and they wouldn't budge on that so told them no thanks and went ahead and cancelled.
They really do not value loyal customers

Go onto their live chat and tell them you'll take the 50% offer if they will supply a new box.

You'll get it without any problems.

Caporegime
VM are worse than Sky when it comes to loyalty. They will offer you peanuts even after you cancel. Sky at least offer 50% off, etc.

I cancelled VM last year to get Sky for a year and they offered me like £10-£20 off a £120 bundle. They asked what Sky had offered me (as a new customer) and for how much, the person on the phone clearly understood why there was no way I was going to accept their offer. I even explained I've been a customer for all these years and you won't beat them? the only thing they had to stand on was that they offered far superior broadband but I had to pay more than double to get the same package as sky with that broadband.

After that call nobody bothered calling me back, they must have noted there was no way they could match the offer I had already accepted from Sky.

New customers always get the best deals.

Brand New Boxes for free.
Cheapest Prices available (no need for discounts).
Quidco Cashback on top of the cheapest prices.

You have to be ignorant to stay loyal in the tv sub market.

Even if you cannot get VM, cancel sky and sign up under your partners, brothers, fathers, name, etc every year. I posted a tutorial in this thread on how to get the best deals I told them to sticky my posts but nobody listened.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=25311434&postcount=684

there is one of my posts explaining how to do things, plenty more in the thread

Last edited:
Soldato
All they offered me was £20 off the engineer visit, and they wouldn't budge on that so told them no thanks and went ahead and cancelled.
They really do not value loyal customers

I know and it's so annoying, I ranted on saying of I treat my customers the same I'd be out of business, I think a lot of it depends on who you speak to

How are the both of you speaking with the person on the other end? Are you being nice and friendly, chatty, and being sincere, or are you talking to them in a way that makes you sound like a self-centred and entitled so-and-so? I've found that what they give you largely depends on how nicely you talk to the person on the other end of the phone. I'd be far less likely to try and get a good deal for someone that's talking to me like I'm a piece of rubbish.

Soldato
I agree it is annoying, but i'm not going to waste my time or money ringing them hoping I speak to someone a bit more favourable.

Again, this is a mistake and a reason why you're getting nowhere. If the person you're talking to isn't budging, and you are being friendly and nice when you're talking to them, there's no reason at all why you can't call them back and try someone different. I did that a year ago and when I called back I got £10 off my monthly bill for a year and a new 2TB wifi box. All it took was another 10 minutes on the phone. Honestly, how important is your time that you can't call back to save £120 per year and get a new box upgrade?

Soldato
Or you could just ring up and ask for a deal, worked every year for me for the last 3 and saves the hassle of cancelling. Got 75% off TV last 2 years and 50% this year but with the free internet deal the bill costs about the same.

As others have said, there's no need to try and be a hard-nosed negotiator, just call up and be nice and ask. I think they're feeling the heat from BT and a bit more likely to try and keep you.

Soldato
I've been with SKY for a couple of years now and called to cancel the other day, they dropped from £38 to £23 but I don't have any premium packs, I was a bit miffed about the fact I've been paying for the HD pack from an old bundle when I didn't need it.

Their excuse of it being for F1 HD which I never watch didn't work and the fact their response to me saying it was too expensive was to remove the thing I shouldn't be paying anyway fell on deaf ears.

That said, I am planning to stay I just didn't expect them to agree and take the cancellation so quickly lol!

What can a box actually do if you've no subscription? Still view/record freeview? How about the HD freeview channels?

Back
Top Bottom