*** Sky TV Cancellation & Negotiation Thread ***

Associate
Expecting good service from a large telecoms supplier will only end in frustration.

Accept that the CS is awful, pay as little as possible while dealing with them as little as possible, and you will be much happier :)

Mediocre service would be welcome after being spoken to like I was! Going to see if a 50% offer comes my way and if not then it won't be the end of the world. Will sign as a new customer under a different name and pay even less. The monopoly Sky has on pay TV is absurd. I don't know how it gets by the competition commission.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
You'll get offered 50% off anyway once the account closes down, log in to mysky to see it after your services stop.

I just renewed for another year as a new customer using F&F, but logging into last years account shows this:

Come back to Sky and get an exclusive 50% off Sky TV for 12 months.
Start live chat
Or call 08442 411360

Its still better to be a new customer every year though, as you get 50% off, currently a £50 pre paid mastercard, and all new equipment. The box is worth around £50.

Associate
You'll get offered 50% off anyway once the account closes down, log in to mysky to see it after your services stop.

I just renewed for another year as a new customer using F&F, but logging into last years account shows this:

Its still better to be a new customer every year though, as you get 50% off, currently a £50 pre paid mastercard, and all new equipment. The box is worth around £50.

Yeah, whilst resigning with 50% off would be convenient joining as new customer is better as we need another HD box for multiscreen.

If they query the same address but different name how do you combat that? I would imagine the 'partner left' would only work once?

Soldato
Cancelled Sky yesterday a year after signing up under the great offer they made to 02 broadband customers, to be fair they did try pretty hard to keep us with an offer of free broadband and 50% off the sky package and after a bit of moaning they offered the discount for paying line rental upfront again. It wasn't enough for me though we watch very little TV and most of it is on the terrestrial channels so all we wanted was the Sky+ functionality, the catchup TV and 12345. After some shopping around we've gone with BT TV they had an offer for broadband (non infinity) and TV for £13 a month plus line rental of £159 a year with a £150 Sainsbury's card and £250 quid from quidco all of which means they are paying me £50 for the year and at the end of it I get a fully working Humax Youview box that offers record and pause without a contract.

Long and short of it Sky to expensive silly BT offer made more sense!

Quick update, just had a phone call from a sky man wanting to do a 'survey' of people who hat submitted cancellations, surprise surprise he could offer me a better deal! If I hadn't already have signed up with BT I would have been tempted as they were prepared to offer my the sky+ functionality and all the Freeview channels with broadband and phone for £16 a month. I pointed out to him that if they made these offer available to the renewals team they might keep more customers as most people sign up to a new service after cancelling!

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Yeah, whilst resigning with 50% off would be convenient joining as new customer is better as we need another HD box for multiscreen.

If they query the same address but different name how do you combat that? I would imagine the 'partner left' would only work once?

Ive never even had it queried :)

Associate
I ring them whenever I want to blag something cheap or free and TBH they've always been polite and I always get what I want and normally something on top as well.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Do the F&F codes still come in waves as they seemed to before? I signed up years ago using F&F, but any contacts I had there are now no more I think.

Not sure mate, i just ask around whenever i need one and someone is usually kind enough to provide one.

Misscheif on here usually has some although i think he said he didnt have any for a little while at the moment :(

Associate
OK, anyone that does it on a regular basis - whats the best timeline to do this??.. ie ring up on 1st to cancel and give 30 days notice, sign up on 2nd as new customer and arrange install for day after original is stopped??.. would that work ok

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
OK, anyone that does it on a regular basis - whats the best timeline to do this??.. ie ring up on 1st to cancel and give 30 days notice, sign up on 2nd as new customer and arrange install for day after original is stopped??.. would that work ok

Yep, or even sign up ages in advance, you can move the install as many times as you like on the online install planner. :)

Associate
Cancelled on the 14th July and switched to nowtv. Just had a call from Sky offering me TV free for a year. I didn't bother asking what packages would be included, I'm guessing if it was free it would be bugger all anyway. The woman on the phone couldn't believe I wasn't interested and kept repeating it was free for a year. We're perfectly happy with the NowTV box, it has entertainment and movie subscriptions so why would I want to go back to satellite?

Caporegime
Trust me the details and I will see if I can find out what's happened. No guarantees though!

Thanks but I think I have sorted it...

I told sky I decided to stay with them...so they stopped the cease...

I then emailed plusnet who tried the transfer again ...finally it looks like sky have allowed the transfer to go ahead.

Caporegime
Cancelled on the 14th July and switched to nowtv. Just had a call from Sky offering me TV free for a year. I didn't bother asking what packages would be included, I'm guessing if it was free it would be bugger all anyway. The woman on the phone couldn't believe I wasn't interested and kept repeating it was free for a year. We're perfectly happy with the NowTV box, it has entertainment and movie subscriptions so why would I want to go back to satellite?

HD ?

Associate
Not sure what you're asking but on-demand via sky now is HD, only 720 but it seems to look better than our sky hd box did. Netflix is via the tv so 1080. As for the free year it's possible they were only offering SD, I didn't bother asking.

Soldato
There was a 50% off code on MSE the other day, not sure if it's still there!

Aha: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/cheaper-sky-cheap-cable#sky

Screenshot_2014_09_09_at_22_59_09.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom