So I've been posting on these forums for 10 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
OP
There was another nuke/hack in March 2001 so you may have predated that.

I have vague memories of DJ_Jestar (the OP) posting some huge long thread about about a night out that involved spending hundreds in a strip club and taking one back to a hotel or something, amongst other shenanigans, it was a good read and I can't even remember if it was supposed to be fiction or not.

It's possible I may have him confused with somebody else but I normally have an exceptional memory for trivial details like this.

No, that was me in early 2004 and unfortunately not fiction :o

Associate
I was on here back in 99/2000 with my K6-2 400 (Never managed an OC on that).
I then moved on to a 2nd hand SL35D P3 450 which I clocked to 600mhz.

After that the Abit KT7A-RAID with AXIA 'Y' and Thermoengine + 60mm delta screamer @1.4ghz. Got bored of the noise so went for a Alpha PAL 8045 with 80mm thermaltake fan and a home made fan controller (switch between 7v & 12v for all the case and cpu fan) Manage to hit 1.5ghz with this CPU once I got a friendly chap to help me with a voltage mod.

Stuck with the alpha through an Epox mobo (can't remember the model) with an Athlon XP1700+ (AIUGA stepping) clocked at something like XP2500 speeds. Then I got the XP3200+ (Cheap through work) and hit 2.5ghz with that.

After that I sort of dropped out of the OC fraternity as I was working in IT and when I wasn't working had a life (could't be bothered with computers). lol

After then I wasn't really interested in PC's built an Athlon 64 3500 on a cheapo mobo etc so that I could play a few games got bored again and sold it (a friend of mine still has this rig).

I stuck with work laptops since then as I had no interest.

I remember these forums going offline and have recently gotten back into the fold with my 2500k rig which I am enjoying playing with. (unfortunately I don't use it enough)

Soldato
December '99 was when I first joined (I think) but I can barely remember anything about the forums other than I got a lot of good advice on how to put together my Juno P6 case with Athlon Slot A processor (550MHz overclocked to 850MHz). My Pioneer slot-loading 16x region free DVD-ROM was faulty and I had to send it back via Spie himself.

dear god we joins at the same time and had nearly the same build!! Although I had a 650mhz slot A clocked to 900mhz :) with a solid copper twin delta screamer fan setup that was louder than my mums hover! My Juno was fully loaded with twin psu's and a start relay to make them both work, I had that many fans I was running two 300w psu's man the power draw was huge!

Soldato
56k, man what a horrid memory, we lived in the boonies until 1.5 years back. So Until 2009, no high speed was available. The whole UK is the same size about as a lot of our states, so it was a lot harder getting highspeed everywhere. My mom use to type in a URL & load/unload the dishwasher before a page completely loaded.

Soldato
juno_p4.jpg

I had this case too, with 6 fans.

Lol.

In fact it is still at my mums house, along with P4 processor, ABIT motherboard, 512MB RAM, ordered from OcUK after my AMD build.

:D :D

Juno P3!!!
I had that case too! and the little do-dad that let you run 2 PSUs!

Soldato
Computer hardware.
Back around September 2000 the AMD Duron Processor came out, OCUK offered overclocked bundles and thats where my money went. I joined the forum around the same time. A little earlier I believe.

Internet Connectivity.
Around this time (2000) I woulda been using either 56k or Broadband from Telewest. Service was great. Used to chat to buddies on MSN and on ICQ

Gaming
Counterstrike Beta 5.2 was where I started, being pretty obsessed and quite skilled on the game for years onwards.
I may have tried Ultima Online briefly back around this time as my first taste of MMO style gaming.

Politics (well, what I can remember of them from then)
Was too busy playing Counterstrike and discovering clubbing to notice Politics :)
No wars to really speak of.

The Media
Paedos were big in the media back then, lol, Brasseye satirised it around the time.

These Forums
Guns as avatars.
People I remembered Eyedot, Alphanumeric? Piggymon?.. was lots of stand out people but my memory needs refreshing.

Me
I was a skinny kid, just developing a liking for dance music and playing PC games moreso. Went into the clubbing scene around 2001 and did a year at college and then a plumbing apprenticeship. 10 years on, Im in the RAF and in Scotland.

Big change! :)

Soldato
Juno P3!!!

I remember someone telling me about ocuk and how they had a case with like 10 fans that all controlled themselves based on temperature. Did that ever exist ?

The "must have" CPU of the day was the AMD 1.4GHz "Thunderbird".
Coupled with 512MB of RAM - an amount considered more than ample! - and a GFX card such as a GeForce4 Ti4400

I bought a Thunderbird also and you could overclock it by drawing on it with a pencil to alter the speed to what you wanted :confused:
OCUK did the job of pre overclocking them :p

It came bundled with some pizza sized do it all motherboard and a little aliminium heatsink.
The concept of heatsinks was still quite new then, older CPU were like a southbridge now, could be used with nothing on top of them - its true kids. The old cyrix chips would just slow down when the heatsink fell off lol

Anyway I swear we were using that little cheese grater aluminium heatsink till just recently because it clips on to anything

I didnt buy a Ti4200 till 6 months before BF2 came out. I saw one for 20 dollars, an art musuem was selling it alongside a Van gogh painting.
I kid you not, I won and I told them to skip the $50 UPS fee and use surface mail instead. So they did, from Colorado! it took from Sept till Xmas to ship over.

The box went upto my knee with foam, no wonder it cost so much. 6 months later BF2 wouldnt work it, doh. Played the hacked BF2 demo with green sea and invisible tanks for 3 months

Internet Connectivity.
Had like a 7 digit ICQ number but got locked out of the account. Also my correct name @hotmail (no numbers!) and again they wouldnt let me back into the account, was rubbish after MS bought them anyway and they were wiping peoples saved mail

Maxtor 60GB hard disk in 2000 cost me about 200 and it lasted me for years so was a good deal imo :)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Juno P3!!!

Unless I'm very much mistaken it's a P6, not a P3. I wrote a review of the case for a now-dead website, and a few months later one of my pictures from that review turned up in someone here's sig. The two PSUs thing was useful in those days: I used an old AT supply to run all the fans (I'd cut extra holes for three more) and an ATX for the hardware.

M

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom