1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.


Discussion in 'CPUs' started by Gibbo, Feb 22, 2017.


Which Ryzen did you buy or are planning to buy?

  1. 1700

    142 vote(s)
  2. 1700X

    92 vote(s)
  3. 1800X

    112 vote(s)
  1. pastymuncher

    Man of Honour

    Joined: Jul 12, 2005

    Posts: 17,639

    Location: Aberlour, NE Scotland

    I really don't understand why anybody would pre-order when there have been no independant reviews yet. People are buying based on speculation, rumour, leaks that may be false and selected screenshots from AMD. It's complete madness to spend money on something that we still don't know very much about.
  2. LHM


    Joined: Dec 17, 2015

    Posts: 153

    Location: Cheshire

    agreed totally. Going to wait for independent benchmarks rather seeing AMD hand pick their own benchmarks.
  3. Daaaveee

    Wise Guy

    Joined: Feb 21, 2006

    Posts: 1,806

    For those thinking about overclocking potential, its worth noting that OcUK have a couple of Ryzen prebuilt overclocked systems online:


    So we can assume these are safe overclock levels at least:

    R7 1700 @ 3.8ghz
    R7 1700X @ 4.0ghz

    I would think they could probably be pushed a little more as the skylake/kabylake overclocked systems run at relatively conservative clocks as well compared to what most manual overclockers get out of them.

    Reading between the lines from other posts by 8Pack for example, it looks like there is not a lot more headroom over these figures. Jury is out on the 1800X though, personally I expect around 4.5ghz overclocks on those, but again who knows at the moment.
  4. Techen

    Wise Guy

    Joined: Feb 5, 2012

    Posts: 1,939

    Well amd do 4ghz with 95w where is the i7 6900 does 4ghz at 145w?
  5. Bonjour


    Joined: Mar 30, 2004

    Posts: 9,076

    Location: London

    If I could get 4.5Ghz, I'd be all over it like a rash.
  6. ToTheMax


    Joined: Nov 28, 2012

    Posts: 611

    If you can get that with a top end AIO that would be an instant buy for me, but waiting on reviews before deciding anything.
  7. Devrij


    Joined: Jul 23, 2009

    Posts: 13,058

    Location: Bath

    It really hinges on how well they overclock. It sounds like they don't stretch much further (which makes sense as otherwise you'd never buy a 1700x/1800x), but I'll be hanging on for independent reviews to get a feel for overclocking performance and benchmarking across a wider spread of scenarios. I am definitely slating these chips for my next upgrade though!
  8. daman2k


    Joined: Oct 8, 2009

    Posts: 121

    Easy, the processor doesn't come out until the 2nd March. I would expect reviews before then and even not by law we have 7 days to return it, I will not open it until I see benchmarks.
    Now on the other hand I could wait, not preorder and risk the SKU I want being sold out when I am finally ready to order.
  9. theor14


    Joined: Nov 24, 2013

    Posts: 202

    Ryzen 1700
    Asus X370 prime
    Upgrading from 6700k @4.8, 1.37v so want to see reviews and overclocking headroom because if it's poor then it's probably not worth it for me as I got a good 6700k.
  10. subbytna


    Joined: Oct 22, 2008

    Posts: 8,827

    Location: Belfast


    Almost £1700 and you only get a 470 GPU? Wow that's expensive.
  11. Fanatic


    Joined: Jan 25, 2006

    Posts: 2,653

    Location: Birmingham

    I think this is what I would buy, coming from a 3770K. Maybe swapping for a 1700X if reviews show there is a difference in the overclocking compared to 1700. Also need Corsair to release an AM4 bracket for the 110GTX Cooler.

    My basket at Overclockers UK:

    Total: £744.92
    (includes shipping: £0.00)

  12. Bonjour


    Joined: Mar 30, 2004

    Posts: 9,076

    Location: London

    I'm wondering what cooler they're using on that pre-built 1700x@4Ghz.
  13. eldergeek


    Joined: May 18, 2014

    Posts: 437

    Location: The UK.

    Because of this:

  14. Daiyus


    Joined: Feb 23, 2017

    Posts: 18

    Location: United Kingdom

    I'm waiting for the R5 line-up to be released. My current build plan if I were to go Intel is an i5-7600k. If an R5 gets anywhere near it in gaming for the same price I'll be going for that.
  15. lltfdaniel

    Wise Guy

    Joined: Feb 23, 2009

    Posts: 2,112

    Location: Bournemouth

    Toss up between the 1600 x or 1700.

    As for the 1700 it has better bang for buck i think, plus it will give you more overclocking headroom i reckon.
  16. ubersonic


    Joined: May 26, 2009

    Posts: 20,492

    Planning on going with this:

    AMD Ryzen 7 Eight Core 1700X 3.80GHz (Socket AM4) Processor - Retail
    Gigabyte GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD X370 (Socket AM4) DDR4 ATX Motherboard
    Team Group Elite 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-19200C16 2400MHz Dual Channel Kit - Black

    Should be pretty tasty :)
  17. Rossi~


    Joined: Nov 5, 2010

    Posts: 18,782

    I don't see what the problem is. If somehow it turns out as disappointing, you can cancel the preorder or return within 14 days for a full refund.
  18. ubersonic


    Joined: May 26, 2009

    Posts: 20,492

    Because AMD's claims have been independently verified. It's not like they showed a graphic of a Ryzen chip beating an Intel one and that was that, they had full blown systems side by side for guys like Linus to inspect on camera to verify that the results being produced by the benchmarks were on the level. Hell they even put one of their systems next to an Intel one they knew would beat it slightly (because it was double the price).
  19. thenewoc


    Joined: Mar 9, 2012

    Posts: 4,473

    Location: West Sussex, England

    The sticking point at the moment if I were upgrading would be availability of brackets to make use of existing cpu air coolers. I already have a Phanteks TC14PE and a Megahalems but haven't seen any word on mounting bracket availability.
  20. Gibbo


    Joined: Oct 17, 2002

    Posts: 30,732

    Location: OcUK HQ