So.... Twin Peaks is due to return.

Soldato
The most recent episode was pretty lame to be honest.

Its been good up until this one. Hopefully it gets back on track. I've got an Agent Cooper Funko model looking at me, with a cup of joe and his thumb up. He better come back! lol.

Permabanned
Really, REALLY loving this new season. It's got everything I love about Lynch's style as a creator and I think that's also where a lot of the criticism is coming from. His work is often SO abrasively obscure that I can't really blame people for getting frustrated with it.

However, those criticising it for it's effects do genuinely irritate me. As if all CGI should be held to this perceived standard of quality regardless of artistic purpose or intent. There's a reason it feels so out of place and jarring at times, especially when within the black lodge.

Soldato
The most recent episode was pretty lame to be honest.
Its been good up until this one. Hopefully it gets back on track
Agree the latest episode actually bored me was by far the worst one so far. It's so frustrating having been waiting for this for years since it was first mentioned I keep watching each episode wanting to love it but end up disappointed.
Some of the scenes with the older original characters just seem pointless and forced like they have no meaning and Cooper walking around in full retard mode is getting really boring now! It was funny at first but it's time to end it and get the real Cooper back

Permabanned
Agree the latest episode actually bored me was by far the worst one so far. It's so frustrating having been waiting for this for years since it was first mentioned I keep watching each episode wanting to love it but end up disappointed.
Some of the scenes with the older original characters just seem pointless and forced like they have no meaning and Cooper walking around in full retard mode is getting really boring now! It was funny at first but it's time to end it and get the real Cooper back

I think it's important to remember that Lynch has never really been interested in giving audiences what they want. That was partly the charm of the original, it was so out there unfamiliar and pretty much remains so to this day. Even more so with his movies. They've become so revered because he plays with the unconventional and the obscure. I can understand where people are coming form though, especially if they've not seen his movies. Twin Peaks by in large is the black sheep of his portfolio in that it's ironically quite tame and coherent by comparison (most likely down to Frost's involvement, as well as the studios).

At the risk of sounding like the worse kind of IMDB pretentious snob, you have to trust him as a creator to take you on the journey that he WANTS you to go on. You have to forget all the major conventions, even within the work he may have done previously and trust in his vision. I sort of new prior to the first episode that this wasn't going to be the Twin Peaks I love, because Lynch isn't the type of creator to pander. And it really isn't, it BARELY is in fact, and now I've had time to reflect on it, nor should it have ever been. The original is a product of it's time in the most literal sense and I think this season is very much the same in that respect.

However, I do believe we'll start seeing the original characters take centre stage again soon, if ep 7 was anything to go by.

Last edited:
Soldato
Wow what a disturbing trip episode 8 was :eek::( anyone care to explain anything that went on because I have no idea what I just watched lol

Permabanned
After last week's more traditional episode, Lynch went 'full Lynch' this week... I didn't really enjoy it to be honest but then I didn't really hate it either... Some parts dragged a bit, could probably have been condesnsed down in to half the time.

Permabanned
Probably my favourite episode yet. Lynch taking full advantage of the freedom Showtime have given him. I'm just so happy that something like this isn't being restricted to the underground art house cinema screenings around Europe that most people will never see.

Wow what a disturbing trip episode 8 was :eek::( anyone care to explain anything that went on because I have no idea what I just watched lol

So yeah, like most of Lynch's work, what you're seeing isn't just a random string of abstract images. Each has purpose and place, however cryptic and distorted they may first appear.

Ironically perhaps, this episode had some of the biggest reveals the shows ever had, depending on how you look at it.

We'll skip that opening sequence with "Mr C" and Ray for the moment and jump straight into the weird ****.

The Manhattan project... what an incredible shot of the bomb going off?! The camera zooms into the mushroom cloud (which started to look alarmingly like 'the evolution of the arm' towards the end...). A serious of abstract colours reminiscent of 2001, which I equally could draw very little meaning from. This whole sequence felt like a purposeful assault on the senses by Lynch.

Cut to the humanoid creature birthing some cosmic mush from it's mouth. In it we see a tumour like blob containing Bob as well as some shapes reminiscent of the egg we say later in the episode.

I think what we're meant to take from this is that by starting down the path to potential nuclear destruction, we inadvertently created Bob. As always, this can be paired with Lynch's obsession with abstract metaphor and there are many ways one could interpret this.

A few more 2001 like visuals, then we end up at the convenience store. A very odd sequence but again, one that is not entirely bereft of meaning. It seemed to me as if it houses the entities we now know as 'Woodsmen' (the vagrant like characters). It's very hard to place exactly what these things are. Perhaps precursors to Bob? Perhaps servants to his will, aiding him in finding a 'host'? Interestingly, this has been mentioned before...

"We lived among the people. I think you say, convenience store. We lived above it. I mean it like it is, like it sounds…”

Again, this could just be seen as abstract metaphor or nothing at all. I need a bit more time to formulate a theory...

Cut to the gorgeous shot of the structure in the middle of the ocean. I think this is perhaps where Cooper was prior to 're-entering' reality. We see a woman en joying some old timey tuneage and 'The Giant'! An alarm goes off (apparently signalling the arrival of the evil entity 'Bob'). 'The Giant' watches the birthing sequence on a screen and on seeing Bob, proceeds to create a golden orb with Laura Palmer inside...

AGAIN, this could mean many things. To me, it appears that the giant is attempting to re-address the balance of good and evil by creating the 'good' entity in Laura. The orb is loaded into a machine which fires it into the screen where it seems to land on earth (in north America, in case you where wondering...).

An egg hatches in the dessert and a toad like bird locust thing emerges... this scene creeped me the hell out.

Cue the 'Woodsmen'. I have no idea what the sequence involving the couple in the car is meant to represent. Either way, it scared the crap out of me...

"Got a light...?"

Then comes my favourite sequence in the series so far. The head 'Woodsmen' arrives at a radio station, crushes the skull of the receptionist and proceeds to take control of the station, repeating a certain mantra into the microphone.

"This is the water and this is the well. Drink full and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within".

This seems to have a hypnotic effect on all those listening. Everyone collapses. The aforementioned roach bird frog thing takes advantage of the situation and enters the room of a young girl featured earlier. It seems to make a noise which commands her to open her mouth where it then enters.

A friend of mine theorised this the roach thing is perhaps the essence of Laura Palmer. I disagree. The 'Woodsmen' appear to be in cohorts with the creature, actually creating an opportunity for it to enter a host. I theorise that it is infact 'Bob', or some precursor to him.

Back to that opening sequence. I appears that the Bob like entity was removed form 'Mr C' by the 'Woodsmen' for whatever reason. Perhaps to save it for another host? Perhaps they where just repairing the damage done. My theory is that it was in fact removed and the this wont be the same 'Mr C' anymore...

Again, I have to stress that all this could be entirely wrong and that whilst it seemed long, this is just a brief look at some of the many theories there most likely are.

Hope this helped somewhat xD

I think this episode will very much be the dividing line when it comes to who's staying to the end and who's had enough...

Last edited:
Soldato
Probably my favourite episode yet. Lynch taking full advantage of the freedom Showtime have given him. I'm just so happy that something like this isn't being restricted to the underground art house cinema screenings around Europe that most people will never see.
So yeah, like most of Lynch's work, what you're seeing isn't just a random string of abstract images. Each has purpose and place, however cryptic and distorted they may first appear.
Ironically perhaps, this episode had some of the biggest reveals the shows ever had, depending on how you look at it.

We'll skip that opening sequence with "Mr C" and Ray for the moment and jump straight into the weird ****.

The Manhattan project... what an incredible shot of the bomb going off?! The camera zooms into the mushroom cloud (which started to look alarmingly like 'the evolution of the arm' towards the end...). A serious of abstract colours reminiscent of 2001, which I equally could draw very little meaning from. This whole sequence felt like a purposeful assault on the senses by Lynch.

Cut to the humanoid creature birthing some cosmic mush from it's mouth. In it we see a tumour like blob containing Bob as well as some shapes reminiscent of the egg we say later in the episode.

I think what we're meant to take from this is that by starting down the path to potential nuclear destruction, we inadvertently created Bob. As always, this can be paired with Lynch's obsession with abstract metaphor and there are many ways one could interpret this.

A few more 2001 like visuals, then we end up at the convenience store. A very odd sequence but again, one that is not entirely bereft of meaning. It seemed to me as if it houses the entities we now know as 'Woodsmen' (the vagrant like characters). It's very hard to place exactly what these things are. Perhaps precursors to Bob? Perhaps servants to his will, aiding him in finding a 'host'? Interestingly, this has been mentioned before...

"We lived among the people. I think you say, convenience store. We lived above it. I mean it like it is, like it sounds…”

Again, this could just be seen as abstract metaphor or nothing at all. I need a bit more time to formulate a theory...

Cut to the gorgeous shot of the structure in the middle of the ocean. I think this is perhaps where Cooper was prior to 're-entering' reality. We see a woman en joying some old timey tuneage and 'The Giant'! An alarm goes off (apparently signalling the arrival of the evil entity 'Bob'). 'The Giant' watches the birthing sequence on a screen and on seeing Bob, proceeds to create a golden orb with Laura Palmer inside...

AGAIN, this could mean many things. To me, it appears that the giant is attempting to re-address the balance of good and evil by creating the 'good' entity in Laura. The orb is loaded into a machine which fires it into the screen where it seems to land on earth (in north America, in case you where wondering...).

An egg hatches in the dessert and a toad like bird locust thing emerges... this scene creeped me the hell out.

Cue the 'Woodsmen'. I have no idea what the sequence involving the couple in the car is meant to represent. Either way, it scared the crap out of me...

"Got a light...?"

Then comes my favourite sequence in the series so far. The head 'Woodsmen' arrives at a radio station, crushes the skull of the receptionist and proceeds to take control of the station, repeating a certain mantra into the microphone.

"This is the water and this is the well. Drink full and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within".

This seems to have a hypnotic effect on all those listening. Everyone collapses. The aforementioned roach bird frog thing takes advantage of the situation and enters the room of a young girl featured earlier. It seems to make a noise which commands her to open her mouth where it then enters.

A friend of mine theorised this the roach thing is perhaps the essence of Laura Palmer. I disagree. The 'Woodsmen' appear to be in cohorts with the creature, actually creating an opportunity for it to enter a host. I theorise that it is infact 'Bob', or some precursor to him.

Back to that opening sequence. I appears that the Bob like entity was removed form 'Mr C' by the 'Woodsmen' for whatever reason. Perhaps to save it for another host? Perhaps they where just repairing the damage done. My theory is that it was in fact removed and the this wont be the same 'Mr C' anymore...

Again, I have to stress that all this could be entirely wrong and that whilst it seemed long, this is just a brief look at some of the many theories there most likely are.

Hope this helped somewhat xD

I think this episode will very much be the dividing line when it comes to who's staying to the end and who's had enough...
Thanks for taking the time to give your summary on the episode it has made things a little clearer actually. The episode had some amazing scenes in it but was really dark and disturbing at the same time.
I think I'll rewatch it tonight as it was just too much in one episode for my brain to take in one viewing lol.

Permabanned
Thanks for taking the time to give your summary on the episode it has made things a little clearer actually. The episode had some amazing scenes in it but was really dark and disturbing at the same time.
I think I'll rewatch it tonight as it was just too much in one episode for my brain to take in one viewing lol.

Aha yep, I think that's very much by design. I think it further outlines the fact that the show would be best viewed in long, extended sittings as apposed to bite sized chunks like this.

Last nights episode demonstrated the quintessential Lynchian motifs that divide so many viewers. As he's heavily influenced by dreams, one minute you'll get largely normal scenes and even entire episodes where things only feel slightly 'uncanny valley', then you'll get something like episode 8 where everything goes completely bat **** insane.

That difference in abstraction is razor thin for some people, if not most, which is why so many are having problems with this season in my opinion. Not that there's anything wrong with that, some just have trouble disengaging there brain enough to allow themselves to be utterly captivated by it, which is exactly what Lynch's work requires of an audience.

I get so damn ranty in this forum... apologies!

Permabanned
I can put up with that much Lynch in a couple of episodes but I do hope for the rest of the series to be 'traditional' and more narrative driven in nature. At least for the most part.

Associate
I've persevered with this season up to now, it has had one or two great moments and some interesting visuals to be fair. Someone like Mark Frost should have tried to reign in Lynch a bit though and give it more structure and coherence . . . I'm done with the modern video art, excruciating pace and poor old Special Needs Agent Cooper.

Soldato
I feel like I needed to take something before watching E8, I'm not epileptic but parts of it where starting to make my eyes hurt and give me headache.

What I got from the episode was that setting off the nuke ripped a tear into the other side and allowed Bob to be born and get out (the frog thing) and that Laura in her golden egg was sent to try stop him.

Apart from Legion having 10 minutes or so I can't remember the last time a show had no one speaking for nearly a full episode.

Last edited:
Soldato
Any reason Twin Peaks wasn't on this week? :( Hope it hasn't gone off for a break like Walking dead does it annoys me when they do that

Soldato
Damn episode 9 was painful to watch :( don't know if I can take this for 18 episodes lol it's just tooo weird and nothing like the original which is annoying. Some scenes are just so bizarre your left wondering wtf!

Back
Top Bottom