Solar panels and battery - any real world reccomendations?

do folks have to change (octopus) contracts during winter months away from preferential feed in ones, to the agile ones potentially giving lower off-peak battery recharge ?

Why would you do that right now if you are on go or similar.
Charge overnight at 7.5/8.25 unless really recently signed up.

Agile practically never hits that price point right now

Plus if you come off go and the guaranteed pricing you run the risk of not being able to get back on it.

The potential time to go onto agile is the summer when you can potentially benefit from the outgoing price being significantly higher than the capped price you are allowed when on go.
Octopus even say the reason they stick to the low outgoing price when on go is that you have such beneficial incoming pricing.

I may consider coming off go around April, my pricing is fixed to end of Sept. Its a gamble though.
Really need to see if any of the other companies start to try to challenge Octopus for cheap off peak since right now none are even close.

Well, it seems my inverter is on the fritz again, couldn't access it at all and GivEnergy have confirmed that it needs looking at as they can't do anything remotely. Seems to be working OK (I think) but I am wondering what could have happened, the only issues we have had was a small power cut last week, and I had to turn off the system when I couldn't access it.

I know the grass is always greener, but I am looking forward to getting my Victron gear in the new year.

I'm not using Wi-Fi, I am on Ethernet. My V.1 HY was replaced with a V.2 earlier this year after it went faulty.

I see, that is still a dongle of some kind right just one that accepts ethernet instead of WiFi?

If it's a hardware fault not much you can do except follow the process to repair/replace stuff as guided. Would be suspicious timing though if it coincides with a power cut.

Is there a website for comparing solar micro generators? I’ms sure I saw it on these forums a few years ago. Basically domestic and small micro generators uploaded their location and power generation. I can’t seem to find it anywhere.
Anyone here know what I mean?

My best is 12.6 so far, but only had system 6wks……looking forward to sunnier times ahead
Yeah, probably not a bad thing - you'll have a full run ahead of you of improving numbers. I hit low 30s and only installed in 1st Sept, so thinking I've still got a high to reach Apr-Aug next year....! Just a miserable couple of months before that.... ;)

Yeah, probably not a bad thing - you'll have a full run ahead of you of improving numbers. I hit low 30s and only installed in 1st Sept, so thinking I've still got a high to reach Apr-Aug next year....! Just a miserable couple of months before that.... ;)
Im looking forward to those days…i only use around 3 to 4 kwhs daily, so the rest will be exported and a pot built up for next winters bills.

Has anyone installed only batteries? I can’t explain it well, but I am not completely sold on solar. For ~5 months of the year the generation is rubbish, and it doesn’t seem to add any value to the house.

Batteries on the other hand are easily removable, and charging from the grid is relatively cheap at the moment. I know that the installation is VAT free if combined with solar, and I haven’t worked out what the pay off period would be with batteries only.

Back
Top Bottom