Sony XF90

Soldato
Thanks sonny.
Last daft question so whats going to look better when gaming on a pc:
my current lg 34" 3440x1440@60hz super wide monitor (no gysnc/freesync)
Sony xf90 55" 1080p@120hz

Higher resolution will ofc look sharper, esp. at a smaller size. There's no way to tell which you'll prefer, it's going to depend on a lot of things. You just gotta test it out, buy from a shop with good return policy.

So looking at my pc spec in my signature would you say I'll be okay with CPU and GPU demanding games at 1080p@120hz?

100% I have a similar PC (6800K + Vega 64) and it crushes 1080p 120hz, but then even my RX 480 handled that superbly.

Soldato
Those rushing to manually install - the last time an "over the air" update was halted by Sony was when they released a new Firmware for the XE90 in the US and it was causing serious problems with the TV.
Just saying it's unlikely they have pulled it for no reason.

Soldato
So looking at my pc spec in my signature would you say I'll be okay with CPU and GPU demanding games at 1080p@120hz?

Absolutely - I was on my mobile when I replied, and didn't see your specs. An i7 is plenty enough (overclocked especially), and the 1080 should be fairly comfortable hitting north of 100 FPS at 1080p, especially if you drop the quality settings a little. Understanding what each setting does really helps optimise the game, as there will be many settings you probably can't tell the difference between

Soldato
True about understanding the settings. Like AA is needed more on lower resolution but when you go into 1440p and 4k territory then you can lower it as jaggies are less obvious, would you agree?

Soldato
True about understanding the settings. Like AA is needed more on lower resolution but when you go into 1440p and 4k territory then you can lower it as jaggies are less obvious, would you agree?

Kinda, AA is still needed at 4K. I'd say AA need is more dependent on PPI than simply resolution, i.e. a lot of people with 24''-27'' 4K monitors don't see as much a need for AA - true, but that's because the pixel density in those is more than double that of a 55'' 4K TV. Imo most AA now, especially the temporal kind, is very forgiving on performance, so it's no biggie turning it on. The ones that really hurt - MSAA, SSAA - just aren't used as much anymore. There's the odd exception where you're kinda screwed no matter what, because that's just how the game is (e.g. GTA 5 - jaggies over jaggies, besides MSAA 8x or doubling your resolution - no real solution), but that happens very rarely.

Soldato
Thanks for the video, so yeah AA is really not needed on 4k, or have the lowest setting on for one or two games. But like you said if the performance difference is minor, then might as well have it on.

Associate
Those rushing to manually install - the last time an "over the air" update was halted by Sony was when they released a new Firmware for the XE90 in the US and it was causing serious problems with the TV.
Just saying it's unlikely they have pulled it for no reason.

That one was a bit more serious as it was bricking TV's. This update is only causing issues with HDMI ARC connected soundbars so is pretty minor.

Soldato
I pitty anyone running an XF90 without some kind of external sound. Love the TV and all, think it's a fantastic picture with excellent local dimming - but the sound, oh you can see where they saved some pennies.

Soldato
I pitty anyone running an XF90 without some kind of external sound. Love the TV and all, think it's a fantastic picture with excellent local dimming - but the sound, oh you can see where they saved some pennies.

I actually liked the sound. Got a separate sound system now but I had no issues with the TV's, but I also don't crank up the volume in general. The system makes a big difference for movies but other things - not as much.

Associate
The speakers on my 55 sounded awful when I first tried the set. I was just glad I'd picked up a soundbar at the same time.
The ones in my old 43" Samsung ks7500 were much much better.

Caporegime

it's not about saving pennies but the laws of physics. decent sounds requires decent speakers. decent speakers require larger drivers. larger drivers require more space.

modern tv's are built to be as small as possible. then with no bezels. so there is no space for decent speakers. although some have somehow managed it. LG for instance their speakers are made by harmon kardon the same company that makes soundbars for samsung. so they have really good in built sound.

i use a YSP 2700 with mine and it is amazing however for my use i would have been fine with just the built in speakers. i already have a proper 5.1 system in the living room and another yamaha soundbar in the bedroom.

Soldato
it's not about saving pennies but the laws of physics. decent sounds requires decent speakers. decent speakers require larger drivers. larger drivers require more space.

modern tv's are built to be as small as possible. then with no bezels. so there is no space for decent speakers. although some have somehow managed it. LG for instance their speakers are made by harmon kardon the same company that makes soundbars for samsung. so they have really good in built sound.

i use a YSP 2700 with mine and it is amazing however for my use i would have been fine with just the built in speakers. i already have a proper 5.1 system in the living room and another yamaha soundbar in the bedroom.

But as you mention, it can be done.
My Sony XE93 from last year, I don't know what they did, but there is some clever channeling of sound going on and the quality really is quite impressive - I'm using a 5.1 setup with it anyway, but as built-in solutions go, it's very good.
It can be done, the LG you mention, the Sony....it's just most don't and at the end oft he day, if it can be done, it can only by cost that is prohibitive.

Soldato
My remote has become unresponsive, I’ve tried changing the batteries. Has anyone here sent back a remote for replacement from Sony before?

Soldato
My remote has become unresponsive, I’ve tried changing the batteries. Has anyone here sent back a remote for replacement from Sony before?

The IR-receiver in my TV went faulty, only after a few months too.

Could see the remote was still working as the IR could be seen through my phone camera and also the voice search was still working, seems to use bluetooth.

Soldato

Seems it was a clash with the new NowTV stick I just plugged in - have taken it out and the remote works fine again.

Back
Top Bottom