Sony Xperia 1 II - A return to form for Sony?

Associate
Half a day in and a lot to like about the phone - weight, build, size, screen, camera (once I've learned to use camera pro correctly).

But, still not sure it's as good a daily device as my OnePlus 8 Pro. Adaptive brightness seems broken - always starts my screen off pretty much max brightness, screen in bright outdoor conditions doesn't seem bright enough or is too reflective, not as good a point and shoot device using standard camera app and overall software feels a little 'buggy/glitchy' in places.

I need more time with it I guess - always had the intention of selling the OP8 Pro - but just now I'm not so sure which Android I'll keep.

Soldato
Soldato
I always manually adjust the screen brightness. Never found a phone that does it how I like it.

Battery life, will never be better than my last phone, that had 6000mah. But a little top up won't hurt.

Photo pro is great, just like using my a99i

Soldato
Can someone try record something using either app and play it back and see if the sound is okay. I get a horrendous buzzing sound when recording which definitely isn't right. Thanks.

Soldato
Yeah had a play, have to set mic volume on 3/4 and it's fine. Anything higher and it's just way too sensitive, picks up absolutely everything.

Associate
Yeah think the brightness thing is definitely bugged at the moment as I keep having to adjust also.

Not sure on battery yet either will see how a full days use goes as previous device was 4000 and lasted all day no issues.

I ended up buying this case and screen protector. Fits perfectly and grips well on surfaces, as found the phone being glossy was sliding all over the place.

https://www.mobilefun.co.uk/olixar-sentinel-sony-xperia-1-ii-case-glass-screen-protector-black-80868

Thats what i ordered yesterday

Soldato
So when should I cancel the o2 rolling monthly?
Phone received,
headphone claim in,
cancel now?
Wait till headphones arrive?
I guess wait till you have the headphones. In theory, you should be able to do what you say, but companies will find any way to wiggle out of doing something for you!

Been watching some 4K HDR, wow, simply looks stunning

Soldato
Google feed reporting WhatsApp issues.
Prob them, not you.

I do notice it's not a 120Hz screen like my old phone. But not under every circumstance. Some things are really smooth.

Last edited:
Associate
Must admit, this device is really growing on me. The screen when watching 4k HDR content is just superb. Headphone jack is really welcome also.

Other things they have got spot on (for me anyway) are the size and weight and I must admit, while not as good as hardware 120hz, the motion smoothing is actually decent enough for me not to really miss the higher refresh rates even when scrolling through large list type apps etc.

I've had a crash or two which I hope just needs some firmware updates to sort. On a positive note though - battery life on the first full charge was more than acceptable - 16 hours + with 6:30 SOT :)

Otherwise, if this becomes my daily, I'll miss the Super Macro mode of the OP8 but appreciate there is a whole lot to learn to get the most out of the camera pro app so need to get to grips with that. I'm sure the benefits of that will outweigh the macro option.

Soldato
Same here. I'm down to 25% with 6hrs and 42mins of SOT after my first full charge, I'm happy with that. Pretty impressed so far, the 21:9 form factor is growing on me, less scrolling down to see stuff. I'm loving the 4K screen and photo pro app is so intuitive coming from my a7r2 camera. I like how the phone feels, really comfortable in my hand.
Have stuck a cheap case and protector on for now until I can decide on something better based on reviews.

Soldato
Style cover looks nice, but I prefer not having a front.
I like the look of the other cover, but it lacks side protection.
My current case is protected all down the sides, which I like.

Back
Top Bottom