Sony Xperia 1 II - A return to form for Sony?

Soldato
Feeling a bit meh about mine tbh.
Not sure on over all size, few mm longer than the s8+ only went for this one as I keep phones for 3ish years so tend do go top end processor to last, but looks like rumours are Xperia 5 ii could be the same. Camera actually been a bit under whelmed, not sure if I hyped it up in my mind or not.
Software wise different to Samsung, which takes getting used to. Need to change from away from the Google gallery, fed up getting suggestions or it trying to organise for me.
Couple of bigish things.
Can app drawer be changed to horizontal pages?
Can time left to charge be on show when plugged in on lock screen and notifications?

Soldato
If not experienced with camera settings, then you really need to watch some of the tutorial videos (few on youtube). I was clueless myself, but they've really helped and I've found some of the photos I have taken have been really good. I see there are some pre set modes available too, so hoping some pro photo wizard will release them and can just import and use for certain scenarios.

Not sure on battery yet, peoples previous posts seem to think it's good, but it seems awful in comparison to my honor which also had a 4000mah battery.

Not sure on your q's though. But seems odd though like basic things like a calculator or health side for step counter is missing, I've always been used to having that all on a device already, unless I'm blind and it is actually pre installed.

Soldato
Time left to charge shows on my lock screen.
Battery is ok, I use mine quite a lot, so need a top up sometimes.
I have a calculator pre installed.

Used the camera a bit more today, it's actually pretty decent. Been trying the 4k HDR video as well. Overheats the phone pretty quickly, same as my main camera does too.

One thing I don't like, why did they ditched their own gallery. Guess I'm just used to it, sure I'll get used to using Google photos

Just watched some of my 4k HDR on the tv, looks very nice.
As you have to watchs bids via Google photos, the 4k HDR doesn't seem to use HDR. Guess I'll need a seperate app? This is why they should have had their own gallery software

Last edited:
Soldato
Nope, you don't have that dynamic sound thing turned on?
It was, realised I had poor description. I can be scrolling a webpage and phone gives one vibrate. Think I even witnessed it while just laying on the desk.

Auto brightness is getting frustrating, but I believe it's auto learning? Can turn on phone, it'll be at full brightness, I'll manualy turn down brightness then the phone finally comes to and turns it down itself, at this point to "zero."

Still can't get battery time to charge to show on lock screen or in notifications. Also is there a way to have sound mode in notification tiles? (Or whatever it's called)

Soldato
Xhoq7ky.jpg

Little picture from today, still playing around with settings... But for someone who is absolutely useless at taking photos, I am quite happy with how this came out.

Soldato
What are people's 4G speed like.
On O2, there's no 4G plus here, just 4G, get around 30Mbps.
My missus phone on Vodafone, gets 4G plus and it's getting 60/70Mbps.
Put her sim card in my phone, I get about 35Mbps.
My O2 sim is faster in her phone too.
Tried work phone Vodafone sim, 25Mbps in my phone.

Not sure why I'm not getting 60/70Mbps?

Quite disappointed at the signal at work too. My last phone only did H+ and had about 8Mbps.
I get 4G on this phone and about 8Mbps.....

Bit concerning......tried it with cover off too.

Can't even watch 1080p on YouTube without buffering, wtf

Last edited:
Soldato
Urgh, just rebooted phone to see if helps, all icons have reset to as if phone hard reset.....wtf

Still doesn't play 1080p on YouTube on 4g. Even though I have 35Mbps connection and it says you only need 4Mbps.

Soldato
Tried some Vimeo videos, all seems ok. W
everyone's YouTube like on 4G?
Put the stats on in YouTube, it didn't bother using any bandwidth and readahead is 0. On WiFi it all works fine.

Tried sim card in 2 other phones, all ok.
Looks like and Xperia 1 ii problem with YouTube.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
No you can't - it's not compatible withe the X1ii - I tried sideloading it but it needs some wizardry to get it to work which I haven't worked out yet.

Says I'm not compatible

That's a pain. I wonder what Sony's thinking was to make its own Album app incompatible with its flagship - particularly as most Sony fans love the app! Makes no sense.

Soldato
What are people's 4G speed like.
On O2, there's no 4G plus here, just 4G, get around 30Mbps.
My missus phone on Vodafone, gets 4G plus and it's getting 60/70Mbps.
Put her sim card in my phone, I get about 35Mbps.
My O2 sim is faster in her phone too.
Tried work phone Vodafone sim, 25Mbps in my phone.

Not sure why I'm not getting 60/70Mbps?

Quite disappointed at the signal at work too. My last phone only did H+ and had about 8Mbps.
I get 4G on this phone and about 8Mbps.....

Bit concerning......tried it with cover off too.

Can't even watch 1080p on YouTube without buffering, wtf

Just tested with my old phone, I'm within 1Mb difference if I swap my 3 SIM between my Xperia and mate 20 pro

Soldato
Just uninstalled the YouTube updates and it's fine on 4g, can watch 4k HDR fine.
Weird, won't update those again!
Will try at work today and see what is like there.

4g is getting around 50Mbps this morning. Seems ok. 4g+ would be faster, but o2 doesn't have that here.

Back
Top Bottom