Spiders

I've been bitten by an orange baboon tarantula (Pterinochilus murinus) - I wouldn't recommend it, it's fairly uncomfortable.

You appear to have used 'fairly uncomfortable' quite liberally there! I'd imagine it was quite bloody painful!

I have a phobia of spiders but I still find them fascinating. So even though they scare me, I absolutely love watching and learning about them. The fact you use the Latin names makes me think you're a collector or also have a big interest in the subject?

I only really know what I know through a few various YouTube channels ( The Spider-Man, The Dark Den, Exotics Lair and, probably my favourite, Ants Canada) but I managed to 'whoo' my partner through my arachnid knowledge many years ago. She's an ecologist and one of our first dates in the Zoo i used the world pedipalps when we were looking at the tarantulas and she said it was at that point she knew I was her type :cry:
That can't be real! Looks like something off harry potter!

Their big eyes and intelligence makes them so much less scary, in a weird way. Jumping Spiders just seem like cats to me. Overly friendly.

Though there is a video of someone helping a huntsman spider and I'm sure they're a lot more intelligent than we think.

Last edited:
You appear to have used 'fairly uncomfortable' quite liberally there! I'd imagine it was quite bloody painful!

I have a phobia of spiders but I still find them fascinating. So even though they scare me, I absolutely love watching and learning about them. The fact you use the Latin names makes me think you're a collector or also have a big interest in the subject?

I only really know what I know through a few various YouTube channels ( The Spider-Man, The Dark Den, Exotics Lair and, probably my favourite, Ants Canada) but I managed to 'whoo' my partner through my arachnid knowledge many years ago. She's an ecologist and one of our first dates in the Zoo i used the world pedipalps when we were looking at the tarantulas and she said it was at that point she knew I was her type :cry:

Their big eyes and intelligence makes them so much less scary, in a weird way. Jumping Spiders just seem like cats to me. Overly friendly.

Though there is a video of someone helping a huntsman spider and I'm sure they're a lot more intelligent than we think.
Yeah, the initial pain was not nice, and the muscle cramps for weeks afterwards were worse.

I kept spiders for about 20 years, I've been "in the hobby" for about 30 or so years I suppose! I had over 250 tarantulas at one point.
Now I grow carnivorous plants instead of carnivorous spiders :D

Yeah, the initial pain was not nice, and the muscle cramps for weeks afterwards were worse.

I kept spiders for about 20 years, I've been "in the hobby" for about 30 or so years I suppose! I had over 250 tarantulas at one point.

Funnily enough I've started growing a few plants! Nothing major, I managed to get a venus flytrap to flower last summer which I was happy about as I usually kill them!

Currently looking after a Sarracenia but I'm tempted to buy a Nepanthes or some form of Sundew plant. They all die with me anyway :cry:

Madness I say. Complete madness! Spiders are best kept at a great distance. A few hundred miles may just about do it.

Last edited:
Jumping Spiders just seem like cats to me. Overly friendly
Yeah, I like jumping spiders. I think it’s funny that they “threat orientate” themselves so will turn around to look at you if they think you’re a threat.

IMG-3401.jpg

Last edited:
I'm getting itchy just reading this thread.

I dont do bugs. I'm not as bad as i used to be. small or spindly ones in the corner of the room, i'll leave them. But if there is a big one charging across the floor in the evening, the type you spot in your peripheral vision, it must die. If i'm around the kids, i try and catch it and put it outside.

I have an old concrete garage that has some whoppers, and a shed that needs to be burned really.

Did you ever have one of the big centipedes?

I do not like them AT ALL.

I am sending the last of my spiders to Dave from Dave’s Little Beasties, that’s his YouTube channel. As I sold my place they are going to an experienced keeper.

Last edited:
I am terrified of thunderflies/thrips. Not because their innate threat to my bodily person, but because they are laser focused on getting inside my tellies.

Back
Top Bottom