SPL Season 2009/10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Great news from celtic park today. Interim results just in show profits even though there was no Champs league income. Was not expecting that and its very re-assuring to know that the club is financially stable.
Hopefully, we can attract a decent manager to get the best out of the squad Mowbray has assembled !

Bank debt has increased by £2m though? :confused:

Still, I guess that it's good going considering the loss of the £10m CL income and all the transfer deals.

Soldato
You wont see the true reflection in terms of lack of Champions League revenue until next years figures.

All Champions League money is distributed between the clubs who competed in the competition when the competition ends, these figures produced today take only the gate receipts/merchandise/etc from European involvement into consideration and the lack of Champions League paritcipation has indeed effected the figures.

Full year figures will more than likely see a further increase in debt due to the fact lack of Champions League money at the end of the season including such things as less home games being played in the 6months etc etc.

Not a Rangers fan trying to make more of the figures than they are but I am just stating a few of the facts for you thats all, no doubt someone will say I'm wrong or take offence but as stated all CL money is payed at the end of the competition.

You were right about one thing - someone will say you are wrong. Your post would be correct except for the fact that that is not how accounting works.

In accounting there is a concept of accounting for income and expenditure known as accruals. What this means is that if any money is earned during a period even though it has not been recieved yet, it has to be included in the figures. This means that Celtics share of gate money, TV revenue, prize money etc (had they been in the Champs league) would have been included in the interim results and, by default, those figures exclude that money - basically, the bad news has already been delivered is what i am saying.

For example, if Rangers prepared their interim results to the same 31st december period, it would include an accrual for the champs league money that they effectively earned in that period, despite the fact that they won't recieve it until the summer.

So, in summary, Celtics figures already reflect the fact that there will be no champs league income and, you can compare them with any other season where Celtic have played in the group stages until Xmas. Not a bad set of results.

From looking at the figures, the increase in bank debt can be put down to investing 7 or 8 million in the team when income genrated has been lower.

Not a bad set of results all things considered.

Soldato
You were right about one thing - someone will say you are wrong. Your post would be correct except for the fact that that is not how accounting works.

In accounting there is a concept of accounting for income and expenditure known as accruals. What this means is that if any money is earned during a period even though it has not been recieved yet, it has to be included in the figures. This means that Celtics share of gate money, TV revenue, prize money etc (had they been in the Champs league) would have been included in the interim results and, by default, those figures exclude that money - basically, the bad news has already been delivered is what i am saying.

For example, if Rangers prepared their interim results to the same 31st december period, it would include an accrual for the champs league money that they effectively earned in that period, despite the fact that they won't recieve it until the summer.

So, in summary, Celtics figures already reflect the fact that there will be no champs league income and, you can compare them with any other season where Celtic have played in the group stages until Xmas. Not a bad set of results.

From looking at the figures, the increase in bank debt can be put down to investing 7 or 8 million in the team when income genrated has been lower.

Not a bad set of results all things considered.

Should that indeed be the case(fair enough that I'm wrong) then there will possibly be an increase in debt in the full term results regardless....

Due to the lack of games so to speak at home in the 2nd half of the season due to no involvement in Europe over Xmas(same applies for Rangers) then that would mean less opportunity to receive income through the home gate, merchandise etc, do you see where I'm coming from there?

Only benefit we've had in terms of extra home games is through replays lol!

It must be said though as we all know, a period without inclusion in the champions league is bad for either Old Firm side...

Soldato
Should that indeed be the case(fair enough that I'm wrong) then there will possibly be an increase in debt in the full term results regardless....

Well, one can speculate certainly and I can't disagree with you as I really don't know.

I do agree that prolonged periods without champs league football is extremely damaging to either side of the old firm. It is definitely of concern but slightly re-asssuring that we were in a pretty healthy state to begin with and I do think we have the best board at managing finances.

Soldato
:
Even considering how bad we are at football?

I take no comfort in knowing that the PLC is being run by very clever, responsible people when we're being served up dross on the park every week.

It's not their fault. they have backed the manager 100% - I don't rate Mowbray at all - i think they shoud get Strachan back - imagine if they had given him that sort of money to spend ! :p

Owen Coyle next year for me i think

Soldato
Coyle would cost a lot of cash plus they either have to hope Mowbray resigns so they dont have to pay him compensation unless he is on a rolling contract but I cant see that as they paid up a chunk to ££ to get him.

Associate
OP
:

It's not their fault. they have backed the manager 100% - I don't rate Mowbray at all - i think they shoud get Strachan back - imagine if they had given him that sort of money to spend ! :p

Owen Coyle next year for me i think

Strachan is the man who signed Willo Flood and Chris Killen not once, but twice. :eek: I think he'd be dangerous with that kind of money.

Any idea what Mowbray's net spend is? There's been lots of undisclosed fees and loans so it's tricky to know exactly what he's spent.

Associate
OP
Pretty sure they were both permanent deals.

I've no idea how much the papers are saying Mowbray spent, but, given your average Scottish football hack's affinity for hyperbole, I think it's safe to say you're right.

Don
Strachan is the man who signed Willo Flood and Chris Killen not once, but twice. :eek: I think he'd be dangerous with that kind of money.

Any idea what Mowbray's net spend is? There's been lots of undisclosed fees and loans so it's tricky to know exactly what he's spent.

Flood has been a bit of a revelation at Boro :D Killen, still not sure on.

Soldato
Coyle would cost a lot of cash plus they either have to hope Mowbray resigns so they dont have to pay him compensation unless he is on a rolling contract but I cant see that as they paid up a chunk to ££ to get him.

I have a funny feeling that mowbray is the type who WOULD resign if things are as bad by the midway point next season

Soldato
Pretty disgraceful to be knocked out the cup by Raith, although I thought we would lose to Dundee again anyway. The team needs a complete overhaul to be honest.

Keep Fyvie, Paton, Pawlett in the team and recall McGuire and there is at least solid foundations for a good young team. It's the only positives to take from this season.

Soldato
I have a funny feeling that mowbray is the type who WOULD resign if things are as bad by the midway point next season

Heard rumours he tried to do it b4 crimbo this season and got knocked back. All rumours but then he didnt look happy and had clearly lost the dressing room hence why most were shipped out either sold or on loan.

Correct re Killen and Flood apparently they were let go for 0.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom