** Star Wars Episode VII - SPOILERS WITHIN **

Soldato
Does the blue ray have any deleted scenes or addition bits, or is it just the straight theatrical release?

I have the darkside version and it is 2 disc with the second being the special features like behind the scenes, deleted scenes, making the music etc. I haven't got around to watching any of them though so can't comment on if they are anything good or worth watching.

Permabanned
First time watching it and I don't know if it was meant to be a mild comedy or action film. The Sci-Fi elements and sound were good as expected but since when did Hans Solo and Princess Leia give birth to an ugly child? Talk about putting in actors just for the sake of it :rolleyes:

A very average film and if it wasn't for appearances of the old cast/droids would have flopped as imo this film just relies on nostalgia than a good storyline and acting.

Average film 4/10

Soldato
Watched it the other night and, can't really put my finger on it, just doesn't really seem like Star Wars. Reminds me a bit of what JRR Tolkien once said when approached about writing a sequel to LOTR. Said he had considered doing it, but it would just have been a run of the mill adventure story not adding anything to the original trilogy. And that's how this feels TBH, making the story up as you go along for the sake of it (or the money) rather than because there's a genuine new part of the story to tell. In many places, it felt inferior to the Star Wars Rebels animated series currently watching Season 2.

About the only thing it had going for it (which I may already have commented on after watching at the flicks), is the restoration of some of the humour compared to the po-faced and strait-laced Jedi "monk" trilogy. And no Jar Jar Binks. Then ruined by the
apparent death of Han. I say "apparent" as there is a school of thought circulating this was staged to allow Ren who is really a deep cover Jedi to get closer to Snoop and kill him.

Caporegime
I quite enjoyed it at the cinema. Probably because it was my sons first time seeing one at the cinema. I put the Bluray on last night so we could watch it again and tbh with all the hype worn off I thought it was crap. Acting was terrible, worse than I remembered. Stupid story, poor characters and I tuned it out by halfway.

My son loves it though (6 nearly 7) and that's what matters. He rates it 2nd after ROTS. So I guess they did their job.

Soldato
Watched again twice, I love this film. I can't help but look for spoilers online regarding ep8 and hopefully it will answer some questions. The bonus content is fine but there just Isn't enough in my opinion.

Soldato
Just watched my blu rey (lol)

yeah its pretty good, the stuff that I thought was clunky I now just think "meh"
its got the heart that the OT had - and its a fun ride at the same time, it sets up new films really nicely as well - will be interesting to see it develop (seeing as after the OT there wasn't really much else story to tell)

Soldato
It's pretty clear that the Force Awakens is a reboot of the original trilogy for a new generation. I fully expect that Episode 8 and 9 will be completely different (which seems to be the word coming from the set and people who've read the script.)

I like the movie, it's a joyous ride, not perfect by any means, but it certainly feels like Star Wars and that's a good thing IMO. It has pacing issues and the movie doesn't breath enough (JJ Abrams) but it also combines the old and new cast brilliantly, and more importantly, it introduces new characters that are all genuinely likeable and feel like they belong in Star Wars. That's a great accomplishment.

As much as it sucks to see Han Solo die, it serves a purpose and lets be honest, given the situation with Harrison (his age, accident prone, dislike of the character etc) they couldn't have done much else with him. He can't suddenly become another character, it'd be way too wierd. Han Solo is a 2-dimensional character and I think, given the circumstances, his death by the hands of his son has given emotional energy to some massive scenes in the next 2 movies, and that's pretty much what Harrison Ford wanted and I think its for the best. I would much rather he exit the franchise this way than us never seeing him again and him being written out as a line of dialogue because Harrison didn't want to do it.

I'm really looking forward to seeing where Rian Johnson takes this now. I think it's going to get much better.

Soldato
Then ruined by the
apparent death of Han. I say "apparent" as there is a school of thought circulating this was staged to allow Ren who is really a deep cover Jedi to get closer to Snoop and kill him.

I literally said that somewhere in this thread right after watching it. The dialogue is written so they could easily pull a switcharoo and have him come back.

Soldato
I'm really looking forward to seeing where Rian Johnson takes this now. I think it's going to get much better.

Just googled him, not done a lot but he did direct Looper which while full of holes is still a really well made entertaining film. He also directed what is widely considered to be the best ever episode of Breaking Bad "Ozymandias "...on that alone, i'm excited :D

Back
Top Bottom