** Star Wars Episode VII - SPOILERS WITHIN **

Associate
I can't believe they've literally decided to basically kill the entire EU by labeling it non canon. Too lazy to adapt the books and lore to film and just sample what characters they feel like.

This is basically the first thing that comes to my mind when I think of all the characters in the book - "I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened."

On 28 April 2014, following the acquisition of the Star Wars license by Disney, it was announced that all previously released Expanded Universe content would henceforth be considered an alternate universe, referred to as "Legends." A Lucasfilm story group moving forward will ensure that all new comics, books, games, and other media are all considered canon and valid to the story being told in the films. Content and characters from the Legends (previous EU) may reappear in the new canon.

Thanks George.

kill-me-now.jpg

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Here's the thing, the people that give a **** about the EU are a minuscule proportion of the people that will see Star Wars.

Also why does it matter? They are still stories and they are still good stories, why do you need someone to say "These are real"?

Soldato
i couldn't disagree more strongly.
I hate the action in the new films - its so plastic and fake. All style and no substance, no emotional impact at all. The fights in the originals are supposed to be slow, like knights fighting with old swords, all the time knowing that one slight mistake and they are dead - that makes it real - that one scene in a new hope between vader and obi wan has more tension and emotional impact than every scene in the prequels combined.
All the prancing about and twirling and somersaults in the new films is just awful.

This, just this, times a badjillion. 'Modern' fight scenes have more to do with dance, choreography, slapstick and wire work martial art films than actual fighting. Hollywood audiences have unrealistic expectations that sword work is a poncy elongated fencing match with point scoring and good form. A real sword fight is 2 or 3 moves at most, brutally, one mistake and the loser is dead. This is what the fighting in the original films feels like.

Caporegime
Here's the thing, the people that give a **** about the EU are a minuscule proportion of the people that will see Star Wars.

Also why does it matter? They are still stories and they are still good stories, why do you need someone to say "These are real"?

I guess people just like continuity in what they have been reading and watching. I guess it's no different to variation marvel stories and re-boots. The last 20 years have been great reading those books I'm gutted that some of those characters and stories won't appear on film but I'm more excited of the propest of going to the cinema with my son to watch the next one. His view of the SW universe is 1-6 and the clone wars series.

This, just this, times a badjillion. 'Modern' fight scenes have more to do with dance, choreography, slapstick and wire work martial art films than actual fighting. Hollywood audiences have unrealistic expectations that sword work is a poncy elongated fencing match with point scoring and good form. A real sword fight is 2 or 3 moves at most, brutally, one mistake and the loser is dead. This is what the fighting in the original films feels like.

What's real life sword fighting got to do with people fighting that can use the force and being able to sense your opponents move. If they moved at obi wans speed the fight would never end.

The Jedi that died in the palpatines arrest scene need not apply, worst scene ever. :D

Man of Honour
I can't believe they've literally decided to basically kill the entire EU by labeling it non canon. Too lazy to adapt the books and lore to film and just sample what characters they feel like.

This is basically the first thing that comes to my mind when I think of all the characters in the book - "I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened."

On 28 April 2014, following the acquisition of the Star Wars license by Disney, it was announced that all previously released Expanded Universe content would henceforth be considered an alternate universe, referred to as "Legends." A Lucasfilm story group moving forward will ensure that all new comics, books, games, and other media are all considered canon and valid to the story being told in the films. Content and characters from the Legends (previous EU) may reappear in the new canon.

Thanks George.

kill-me-now.jpg

But, and I say this as someone with a near complete EU book collection, probably 75% of the EU content is crap.

Given that the new films are going to be set 30 years after RotJ it would be impossible to maintain the eu canon without loads of flashback sequences to explain everything that had gone on.

Associate
But, and I say this as someone with a near complete EU book collection, probably 75% of the EU content is crap.

Given that the new films are going to be set 30 years after RotJ it would be impossible to maintain the eu canon without loads of flashback sequences to explain everything that had gone on.

I'd rather they do it this way and spend the time making these films the best they can be.

Caporegime

Yeah I'd say the Heir to empire trilogy was good as was the Jedi academy. The rest of the main books upto the vong war were pretty average at best. The legacy series I enjoyed but ended so badly. The only ones I would like to see as films would have been the vong war but it wouldn't be PG to get the right atmosphere of the vong.

There have been plenty of standalone books I have enjoyed though, on the whole I agree with you though. The prequel books are better of the ones I have read.

As I said it's the characters I hope they can incorporate, Mara, Coran, Anakin Solo, Thrawn etc.

Although knowing Disney I wouldn't be suprised to see the maw installation and yet another death star :D

Yeah I'd say the Heir to empire trilogy was good as was the Jedi academy. The rest of the main books upto the vong war were pretty average at best. The legacy series I enjoyed but ended so badly. The only ones I would like to see as films would have been the vong war but it wouldn't be PG to get the right atmosphere of the vong.

There have been plenty of standalone books I have enjoyed though, on the whole I agree with you though. The prequel books are better of the ones I have read.

As I said it's the characters I hope they can incorporate, Mara, Coran, Anakin Solo, Thrawn etc.

Although knowing Disney I wouldn't be suprised to see the maw installation and yet another death star :D

You're forgetting bot the Thrawn trilogy, duology, Han Solo Trilogy and the X-wing Rouge & Wraith squadron books they were awesome.

Caporegime
I said the Thrawn trilogy :p

I didn't care much for the Solo trilogy, his parts and Leias in all the books bored me. I like the Rogue and Wraith books but the last one was appalling, I got my money back from audible on that one.

Tales from Jabbas palace, mos eisley etc where decent single books. More forgettable books though than awesome all totalled.

Caporegime
Ford, Fisher and Hamill battling round the universe aged 71, 57 and 62.

May the farce be with you.

Jesus give them a chance

You assume that the film will cast Luke, Leia and Han as the main characters again and battling around the universe ?

The way I read it, they have cast younger actors as the children of Luke and Leia and they will be the ones battling around the universe.

Their parents are still alive, as this is set 30 years after episode 6. So of course they should be in the films. Its not like the original star wars didn't have older characters in it ? Everybody raves about how amazing the first three were, and they had Obi Wan Kenobi as an old man !

Indeed, those fights with laser swords are so unrealistic. I wish they were like those real laser sword fights.

quite !

Nobody fights for real using swords anymore because nobody is stupid enough to bring a sword to a gunfight. But the whole point about these things is they are laser swords. Lasers are not huge chunks of steel and thus don't weigh a ton ! so it makes no sense for them to look like they are fighting with steels swords, while wielding laser swords that weigh next to nothing !

Last edited:
Caporegime

Exactly

This film will probably break all box office records and surpass even avatar's takings at the box office.

The percentage of those people who will be disappointed that the fan fiction known as the expanded universe got binned off will be minuscule.

Back
Top Bottom