Steam Summer Sale 2018

Soldato
OP
Im thinking of getting dying light but don't have a vast amounts of time due to kids...what's save system like, can you jump in and out?
Took me months to complete for the same reason as yourself. The save system works very well. It seemed that every little bit of significant progress was saved.

In addition to this when the level loads, when you come back to it, you are read a sentence that summarises what the plot is. So if you come back to it a couple of weeks later you know what is going on.

I made a point of completing this one and although I rushed through the end, I really enjoyed it.

Soldato
Here's a couple of games I can recommend on sale:

Slay the Spire
Wuppo

Slay the Spire is a cross up between a rogue-like dungeon crawler and a card game. It's early access but it's near complete and is very fun. Wuppo is a puzzle platformer that's also very fun with a lighthearted story and great gameplay.

Soldato
Picked up Firewatch, could have easily just watched a playtrough on Youtube due to the type of game it is but I feel like the developer deserves some money as art direction in this game is just beautiful.

Caporegime
Train Valley is my only purchase so far. It's like a very basic Sid Meier's Railroads but the game puts artificial restrictions on things like single-track platforms so you have to micromanage just as much. Watching trains chootle along has always been fun. It's a great little buy for just over a quid.

V F

V F

Soldato
Still not bought anything, will be third year in a row if I don't!

There isn't really anything screaming out at me. There are some I'm interested in but it doesn't feel must have.

I have my eye on Squad, Hellblade, GTA5, The Division...

I haz 4090!
Don
£31.99 on CDkeys. Perhaps still a bit expensive but better than £45 on Steam... It is worth that price in my opinion, I've 13 hours put in to it so far and it only feels about half way through the game. I also think the game is awesome by the way.

I've had the store page open all day, sat with my hand over my chin. Now I've wasted 1/4 of my weekend gaming time and still haven't bought it. :D

Soldato
I've had the store page open all day, sat with my hand over my chin. Now I've wasted 1/4 of my weekend gaming time and still haven't bought it. :D
I'd say it's a £20 game, the world is de-leveled which is incredibly rare for an RPG these days. You take a wrong turn early game and end up getting into a brawl with lv20+ enemies that one shot you, but when you level up you really feel the power increase which is another thing I haven't seen for so long in an RPG. A sidequest had me fighting lv18 monsters at lv1 (hadn't slept to level up yet) and after about an hour of being obliterated I went and leveled up to 10 and even though the +8 levels was definitely a challenge still, it became doable.

It's RPG mechanics are incredibly satisfying and the voice acting is 10/10. Only downsides are the shoddy performance and that the moral choices don't seem to do much except give you different dialogue in the moment and change a few things NPCs have to say in the following chapters, or spawn a couple of enemies in a previous location. They aren't handled terribly but definitely feel very lacking compared to the other RPG focused mechanics the game has. The social mechanic is also very interesting but quickly loses it's appeal when you figure out that it does nothing but provide bonus XP points when you eat the people involved, assuming you want to go the 'evil' route.

I haz 4090!
Don
Very well written, thanks.

I'll give it a miss for now then. I was tempted to grab it for £30 off the key sites, but I want the option to refund if I don't get on with it. I'm not a huge RPG lover.

It didn't run well for you on a 1070?

Associate
What are Activision smoking? Call of Duty, a 15 year old game is only 51% at £7.34 and Modern Warfare 2, a 9 year old game at ~£10. Considering there's a good chance they won't even work on modern PC's, their "milk every penny for as long as possible" attitude to sales is disappointing.

Soldato
Only one purchase this year - Fallout 4 Far Harbour. Ok, so it costs more than the base game in the sale, but its got better reviews than it as well, so fingers crossed.

Back
Top Bottom