1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Story behind your forum username?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Acme, Mar 21, 2020.

1. Azza

Caporegime

Just a nickname.

2. Greboth

Mobster

A name I created I don’t want to work out how many years ago when I needed an hotmail email address to sign up to msn messenger. It’s a simple portmanteau of greebo* and goth but I didn’t like the extra ‘e’. I started using it is my name in games and it stuck to the point outside work and family most people refer to me by it.

*By my music tastes, not Nanny Ogg’s cat.

3. BigBoy

Soldato

Back in 1999 I walked into a LAN gaming lounge in the new town we had moved to. O was 18/19 and 6ft 4 and 17st if solid muscle (the days before computer games took hold!!), The owner looked up from the car and said bloody hell yours a Big Boy and it stuck ever since, was my gaming tag on Barry's world and Jolt playing original CS Alphas and Betas, Half Life Death match, and Unreal Tournament.

4. d_brennen

Capodecina

Signed up for a charity bike ride in, ooh, 2002/3 I think. The admin messed up our bibs and I was apparently David Brennen. The format of the bib was d_brennen and it's been my online alias since.

Was stone last give or take but they held everyone outside town so we could do a ride through en mass, got my picture in the local rag finishing first :)

5. Mushy Peas

Capodecina

When I first got online in the very early 2000s, I was a very active poster on the Linkin Park Message Board. I think my first username was 'Satan's Best Mate,' because I was like 12 and a turbo edgelord. By my seventh or eighth rereg i had settled on Theophany as a username because what else would a teenage edgelord settle upon other than a word that literally means 'the human incarnation of a deity'?

For some reason, the name stuck with me just due to familiarity and back then people in unrelated parts of the internet recognising the name from online games, random forums and IRC. I registered domain names just to lock down my internet identity. Probably 9/10 accounts named 'Theophany' are mine. The downside is that I am now incredibly easy to doxx, but to balance it I really don't give a hoot :p

So I guess the beauty is that even after all these years and the Freeserve and AOL free trials, I came into the internet the same way I am on it today - moments away from a permaban :D

6. Bluecube

Wise Guy

The name I would usually use was taken when I tried to sign up so I was struggling to make up a new one. Looking about my room, I saw a blue dice lying on a shelf. Didn’t like BlueDice so Bluecube it was.

7. Street

Sgarrista

Mine is my nickname, and also my last name. It's what everyone called me when I was a kid, no idea why, and it's just stuck.

8. lunar

Gangster

Mine is based on nostalgia. I recall the moon landings in the early 70s and was very fascinated with the Moon. Hence, I went on to work as a scientist.

9. Unicorn

Mobster

I have literally no idea, Perhaps i was high in 2014

10. garsands

Wise Guy

My name is Gavin Sands
    When the internet first started you had to post your details off using the good old post office to open a internet account and email address.
    I chose gavsands@whateveritwasbackthen.co.uk but they took the v as a r so I ended up with garsands.
    So from that point on I used it as my gamer tag and forum names.

11. Unicorn

Mobster

could of been worse :')

12. LiE

Capodecina

An old email address I randomly decided on many years ago Life is Epic which I shorted to LiE.

13. Lysander

Capodecina

A song title by the band Aesma Daeva. However, I like it so much I may incorporate it into my own name.

14. C@ppy1961

Associate

Mine was first used back in 1997 when I used to chat on a site called "The Park."
    It's just an abbreviation of my star sign Capricorn and my year of birth.

15. Russell Crowbar

Associate

Hi C@ppy1961 my fellow lurker :)

Russell Crowbar was my first online gaming name when I started playing original Half Life Deathmatch many years ago (still dialup internet when I started!). It fitted nicely with Half Life since the Crowbar was a weapon and, in case anyone didn't realise, it's a play on Russell Crowe's name.

16. C@ppy1961

Associate

@Russell Crowbar
    Just a few thousand more posts each and we'll be able to view the Corona thread. ;)

17. EdwardTeach

Mobster

I just have been into pirates at the time!

18. eggyoke

Mobster

Misspelt egg yolk :p

19. Acme

Caporegime

I'm honoured you two chose to make 1/3 and 1/4 of your posts over the last decade in my thread. :p

20. KillBoY_UK

Mobster

I was a boy (11 or so ) killing stuff online (in quake) and I lived in the uk.......now im 35. KillMan_UK doesn't have the same ring to it