Streatham shooting: Man 'shot dead in the street' as police declare terror-related incident

Caporegime
Associate
No it wasn't. The 10k is given as the total direct deaths attributable to the coalition forces. Unless you've got a source saying otherwise? Keep in mind as well that they were 'civilians'. One of the key issues with the Iraq conflict was distinguishing friend from foe.

Haha. 10'000. Er, yeah, alright buddy.

Commissario
And true to form, Liberty have already taken to twitter to decry these new proposals as increasing concern on our civil liberties.

Absolute joke. I just cannot comprehend their thought process.
Possibly because "emergency legislation" is usually very poorly thought out, full of loopholes and badly applied? I mean it not like our government already has problems with legislation that ins't done in a hurry being badly thought out and having unforeseen consequences, or our politicians being so out of their depths they don't understand things like encryption can't be both secure and easy to bypass (or that the average person needs secure encryption, if just for banking).

A bit like the original version of the "materials likely to be useful for terrorism" that included things like tube maps, photos of locations, materials routinely used in university courses - under the definition of it old chemistry books and books aimed at kids from the 1900's could have been "materials likely to be useful for terrorism" as pretty much any chemistry book above a certain level will include information that can be used to create explosives (or sufficiently violent chemical reactions), whilst I remember having a book as a kid that told you how to make gunpowder (IIRC it was a kids activity book from the 50's or something).
Basically as applied initially if you looked wrong or came under suspicion for any reason anyone doing certain mainstream courses could have been found to be in possession of a myriad of "supporting evidence" - the old favourite "the anarchists cookbook" that some on here used to love talking about/trying to post links to would have done it.

Soldato
Possibly because "emergency legislation" is usually very poorly thought out, full of loopholes and badly applied? I mean it not like our government already has problems with legislation that ins't done in a hurry being badly thought out and having unforeseen consequences, or our politicians being so out of their depths they don't understand things like encryption can't be both secure and easy to bypass (or that the average person needs secure encryption, if just for banking).

A bit like the original version of the "materials likely to be useful for terrorism" that included things like tube maps, photos of locations, materials routinely used in university courses - under the definition of it old chemistry books and books aimed at kids from the 1900's could have been "materials likely to be useful for terrorism" as pretty much any chemistry book above a certain level will include information that can be used to create explosives (or sufficiently violent chemical reactions), whilst I remember having a book as a kid that told you how to make gunpowder (IIRC it was a kids activity book from the 50's or something).
Basically as applied initially if you looked wrong or came under suspicion for any reason anyone doing certain mainstream courses could have been found to be in possession of a myriad of "supporting evidence" - the old favourite "the anarchists cookbook" that some on here used to love talking about/trying to post links to would have done it.

I see no issues with this piece of legislation. It keeps the same original sentence, extends the time served to two thirds IF the parole board agree that the prisoner is safe to release otherwise the convicted person serves up to the full term. The problem to be addressed is how people can be ensured not to offend when they are released. That is a question that should be addressed by considered legislation in due course.

One life that may have been saved or extended by this bill is that of Sudesh Amman himself. Now in an early grave after a useless wasted life.

Man of Honour
Soldato
The thing that bemuses me most about this is a justice system that (seemingly) works on a criminal automatically only serving a small portion of their proscribed sentence. Call me old fashioned, but if the judge hands down 3 years or 30 years it should mean that to the day, unless the villain can demonstrate absolutely they are reformed and no longer a menace to society and then only something like 10% off at the end.

Still, at least this particular miscreant will never bother anyone again.

Back
Top Bottom