Summer Transfer Thread 24/25

Soldato
OP
Roll up roll up!!

1 pound fish!!
A couple of Newcastle journo's are reporting that Newcastle are concerned that Gordon's had his head turned by the links to Liverpool. I think he's a decent player but not worth the fee he's likely to command however if he were to really push for the move, refuse to return to pre-season etc then I'll be fully on board with Liverpool paying a world record fee for him. The fume from Evertonian's plus woppy & Bigpig would be worth £200m alone :p
you be surprised with my reaction. There’s only one player I have stuck on the back of my Adidas home shirt who’s untouchable for me :D

Had a feeling one of the big 3 might have to be sold. Be a good window if we can improve the squad and still maintain them. Would have to be a major fee for any of them now :)

Last edited:
Soldato
A couple of Newcastle journo's are reporting that Newcastle are concerned that Gordon's had his head turned by the links to Liverpool. I think he's a decent player but not worth the fee he's likely to command however if he were to really push for the move, refuse to return to pre-season etc then I'll be fully on board with Liverpool paying a world record fee for him. The fume from Evertonian's plus woppy & Bigpig would be worth £200m alone :p
I Wouldn’t be surprised if his head was turned, he’s a Liverpool fan after all, would I be happy if he went? Would I ****, but I would never begrudge anyone wanting to play for the club they have supported since they were a boy, £100m+ would also soften the blow :cry: :cry:. I would be surprised if he went in the summer window though as I think a lot of people might want to see how the first few months play out under slott(Moyes and Emery spring to mind). As everyone knows in football everyone has their price.

Soldato
Just wait a season and he's in the last year of his contract, wouldn't want to spend anywhere near the money to get him when he's had 1 decent season. If he replicates it this coming season yeah then we can see. Hard pass until then for me.

Last edited:
Don
Spare a thought for Arsenal fans. They thought they weee getting Bruno and Isak in cut price deals :D
I wouldn't go too big too early. Just how much Newcastle had to sell makes me think their cost base is a lot more than people think and the need to sell for this seasons accounts, which is far easier done in this summer window than January or pre July next summer, is probably still there.

With hindsight it looks like Newcastle were banking on somebody buying Bruno for £100m and when nobody was interested at that sort of fee it caused a last minute panic.

Soldato
I wouldn't go too big too early. Just how much Newcastle had to sell makes me think their cost base is a lot more than people think and the need to sell for this seasons accounts, which is far easier done in this summer window than January or pre July next summer, is probably still there.

With hindsight it looks like Newcastle were banking on somebody buying Bruno for £100m and when nobody was interested at that sort of fee it caused a last minute panic.
Someone sat and worked it out with a few assumptions of course, it seems with the sale of a player generating a £17m profit(miggy) we can spend around £75m this summer without having to sell one of Isak/Bruno/Gordon.

Last edited:
Don
Someone sat and worked it out with a few assumptions of course, it seems with the sale of a player generating a £17m profit(miggy) we can spend around £75m this summer without having to sell one of Isak/Bruno/Gordon.
Kind of. How much Newcastle can spend and only increase their amortisation by £15m will depend on the length of contracts given out. Yes, if everybody signs a 5 year deal then that equates to £75m. Lewis Hall's signing, assuming a 5 year deal, already accounts for £6m of that possible £15m meaning there's not a huge amount to spend without further profits from sales (on top of the £17m mentioned).

There's loads of guesswork at the moment. Players will extend their contracts which will reduce amortisation however increase your wage bill. But one thing is clear is that Newcastle are very much in a situation of having to balance the books with sales to allow them to spend. How willing they are to sell x or y will depend on how much they want to spend.

Soldato
Kind of. How much Newcastle can spend and only increase their amortisation by £15m will depend on the length of contracts given out. Yes, if everybody signs a 5 year deal then that equates to £75m. Lewis Hall's signing, assuming a 5 year deal, already accounts for £6m of that possible £15m meaning there's not a huge amount to spend without further profits from sales (on top of the £17m mentioned).

There's loads of guesswork at the moment. Players will extend their contracts which will reduce amortisation however increase your wage bill. But one thing is clear is that Newcastle are very much in a situation of having to balance the books with sales to allow them to spend. How willing they are to sell x or y will depend on how much they want to spend.
We have shifted a chunk off the weekly wage bill as well (if reported wages are true)

Dummett 35k
Karius 10k
Anderson 30k
Ritchie 45k
Minteh 25k
Hendrick 35k
Hayden 22k
£210k per week or just under £11m per year

Possible:
Dubs 40k
Almiron 60k
Frazer 42k

Could be potentially looking at 340k+ gone per week or £17.6m per year (or 1 Casemiro :cry: :cry: :cry: )

It just goes to show how hard it is to try and join the Top table and the struggles us and Villa are having.

Pet Northerner
Don
Just wait a season and he's in the last year of his contract, wouldn't want to spend anywhere near the money to get him when he's had 1 decent season. If he replicates it this coming season yeah then we can see. Hard pass until then for me.
I think we’ll sell him this year if he doesn’t sign a contract extension

Don
I think we’ll sell him this year if he doesn’t sign a contract extension
If he really does only have 2 years left on his deal then it wouldn't shock me if there's more to come from this story. As you touch on, now is probably the last opportunity Newcastle have to command a big fee for him without renewing his deal and doing that could prove difficult if genuine interest from us is there and he does want the move. Signing a new deal (without a modest release clause) only makes a transfer harder and that in turn makes any new deal more expensive for Newcastle. Not only will they have to justify paying him x but the knock-on effects of his deal in regards to Bruno, Isak etc.

When the rumours started coming out I didn't pay too much attention to them but even before the recent reports, looking back it should have been pretty obvious. I don't think anybody had a clue that he was a Liverpool supporter before this summer but since the end of the season he's dropped his pants for us at every opportunity, talking about Anfield, Gerrard etc. It's clear that talks have been had behind the scenes. The fact that he only signed a 3 and a half year deal when he signed for you (assuming the 2 years left stuff is true), does make it look like he had one eye on his next move the day he joined. I can't think of many 21(?) year olds moving for that sort of money and only signing on such a short deal and I can't imagine that was Newcastle's decision.

Don

really not keen on this, Diaz is much better and we would probably end up at break even if we got Gordon and lost Diaz due to English player surcharge

Last edited:
Don
really not keen on this, Diaz is much better and we would probably end up at break even if we got Gordon and lost Diaz due to English player surcharge
Yes but just imagine him scoring the winner in the last ever Goodison derby and then celebrating in front of the Gwladys street end. Everton wouldn’t have to call in the contractors to demolish the stadium, their fans would burn it down.

Soldato
OP
Gordon, Isak or Bruno?

I pack Gordon bags in a heartbeat. Barnes is great there.

Not even sure what type of value we would put on him. Paid 40 or 45. If two years is correct and I’m sure we would want a tidy profit.

Then again it Puke Edwards that’s leaking the head turned story.

Every player has its price. Most of the old guard is gone now. We don’t need much this season mind as we are busy cutting down the squad size.

Players which I believe are leaving and will leave. Trips, Miggy, Dubs. Wilson/Longstaff will go of a semi decent offer comes in.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Not this season, he will be gone if we don’t qualify for Europe next season though
Yup Bruno won’t force a move. He leave if we need him to leave or miss out on European football next season. 100% settled in his private life and starting to hit his peak and he says that all down to how settled and loved he feels.

Would still be worried about a decent offer coming in from Barcelona if they find cash from somewhere!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom