Summer Transfer Thread 24/25

A great loss to the league, quality player. I'm surprised none of the big clubs were in for him when he was clearly available.

The whole Gordon to Liverpool thing has gone very quiet, and for me thankfully. We have Diaz who is ripping it up for Colombia at Copa America and Gakpo who is also reinforcing the idea that his best position is on the left at the Euros as well. Add in Carvalho returning from loan and we are exceptionally well stocked there and I could only see a move if we get rid of one of the above. Which if we do would likely be Carvalho. I like Gordon, he's direct and can play a pass as well as finish but he's a luxury we don't need atm.

Rumour suggest that it will be Kiwior who will be sold to make way for Calafiori.

Personally I would sell Zinchenko as he is a liability defensively.

If I was Arteta I would try and change him in to a DM as that's what he does any way when he inverts.

I think Calafiori will be first choice LB with Timber as backup. Timber has played about 1hr of football over the last 12 months so cant be expected to start for us yet.

And yes he can play LB and CB. What's weird is that we are buying (we presume) Calafiori to play LB. When in reality he is deployed by Italy and Bologna as a CB and that is suggested to be his best position.

Last edited:
Always thought Arteta wasn't one for fixed positions and likes having players that can play a number of roles. Having Saliba and Gabriel fit for the whole season was incredibly lucky, if one/both of them is out injured it would be good to have a natural CB to slot right in. I'd also expect a better run in the cups so they'll be plenty of opportunities for rotation, he wouldn't be a 'backup' in the traditional sense.

I'd hope that Zinny is either sold or resigned to only playing in the midfield.

They've got my trust when it comes to transfers, but I do find it surprising that our first target is an expensive defender. I'd have thought that was the strongest area of our team.

They've cornered the market in injury prone wingers. I guess their thinking is if you have 3 players that a rarely fit in the same position, the law of averages means 1 should be fit at any given time.

The whole Gordon to Liverpool thing has gone very quiet, and for me thankfully. We have Diaz who is ripping it up for Colombia at Copa America and Gakpo who is also reinforcing the idea that his best position is on the left at the Euros as well. Add in Carvalho returning from loan and we are exceptionally well stocked there and I could only see a move if we get rid of one of the above. Which if we do would likely be Carvalho. I like Gordon, he's direct and can play a pass as well as finish but he's a luxury we don't need atm.
I doubt we'll sign anyone until slot has had a chance to look at whats there squad wise (exception would be if an outstanding young talent is available). I wouldn't be surprised if the 1st signing is in the January window.

Liverpool need someone that score that plays upfront. They also need some more strength and depth in the full back roles and possibly a CB. Not a massive amount needed to make that squad PL winning capable.

i was reading the other day that Van De Beek has diagnosed major depression. Poor Guy.
That's bad. I think it's also testament to our scouting. The lad never looked like a Man United player from the first minute. He looked overwhelmed and has looked weak subsequently at Everton and Frankfurt. He's hardly played in the last three seasons so I suspect his confidence is shot, especially given his injury record. I never saw anything in him that made me think he anything other than an average player from the Eredivisie. Apparently he's going to Girona for £500k :(

As for more Dutch players. I'm agnostic. They have always produced some great players and we have had a few decent ones. De Ligt has played for Juve and Bayern and done well enough. No idea about Zirkzee but on the basis we pay less than £40m and De Ligt is £40m then I'd say we its as good business as we can do and much better than a lot of the last 12 years. Transfers are crazy. Kilman just went for £40m! Dewsbury Hall £30m. Thats the context of doing business in this window!

Liverpool need someone that score that plays upfront. They also need some more strength and depth in the full back roles and possibly a CB. Not a massive amount needed to make that squad PL winning capable.
Nunez has been scoring freely in Copa America and Gakpo has at the Euros too so I think we're OK up front. Diaz has been playing brilliantly too at Copa America. I think we're good up front. CB is a slight weakness, it depends on VVD and if he starts to show his age a little. Quansah and Konate are decent too although Konate seems a bit of a sicknote but we have Gomez who can pretty much play across the back line, Robertson and Tsimikas at LB and Trent and Bradley at RB. If we do want another CB I suspect Van den Berg will be kept instead of sold or out on loan although he may push for a permanent move.

At least we're proactively trying to sign players. Branthwaite, De Ligt and Zirkzee would be a decent start.

I think we have to take a gamble on a striker as there just aren't many around.

Back
Top Bottom