Summer Transfer Thread 24/25

Eddie is having a medical with Palace. Is he really better than Mateta and Edourde? Nice to get him off the books but we need another striker in as Jesus is not proflic and seems to be a bit of a sick one.

Dunno why Arsenal don't just move for someone like Jimenez. It's affordable and he has a record of scoring goals.

Or even take Toney who seems to be on his way to Chelsea.

Last edited:
Southampton signing Bijlow looks to be off, due to failing a medical (and if he's failing a Southampton medical, his arms must be pretty much falling off or something).

Popular opinion (or blind hope) seems to be that we might pursue Ramsdale instead, though it'd be a fairly sizeable signing for us, given the Wolves deal looks to have fallen through as £20m wasn't enough for Arsenal.

Surely it's only good business if he's actually any good? If I wanted £10 for some magic beans and you got them for £7, I'd have still had your pants down. Maybe wait until he's actually played before deciding how good the business was and preemptive attacking anybody that might say you've paid over the odds for him.
Bit passive aggressive there @BaZ87 but ok . No one is suggesting he's the second coming of Zico or Zidane. He ranks high at what he does and his limitations to his game. Even the best players on paper against their market value, no guarantee that they will succeed at a new club. Take Liverpool, you could easily suggest you got a bargain in Diaz and overpaid for Nunez with hindsight However both players were prob bought on the basis it was good business for Liverpool, good business for the selling club at that moment in time.

Bit passive aggressive there @BaZ87 but ok . No one is suggesting he's the second coming of Zico or Zidane. He ranks high at what he does and his limitations to his game. Even the best players on paper against their market value, no guarantee that they will succeed at a new club. Take Liverpool, you could easily suggest you got a bargain in Diaz and overpaid for Nunez with hindsight However both players were prob bought on the basis it was good business for Liverpool, good business for the selling club at that moment in time.
I'm not sure how my post was in any way passive aggressive, I was genuinely confused by how you've determined that he is good business and why you were already attacking people for things they've not even said when he's not even kicked a ball for you. Using 'they wanted 70m and we got him for 50m' isn't really a justification. That's simply how negotiations work, the selling side start high, the buying side low and a deal is reached somewhere in the middle.

Whether Ugarte represents good or bad business will be determined by how he performs. If in 12 months Utd are still looking for a player in that position it will be bad business, if however he resolves the issue then it will be good, with just how good/bad depending on how well/poorly he does. Maybe had you had a body of evidence to work off (him being a proven top level performer at a high level) then I could understand how you've reached your view but ultimately you're taking bit of a gamble on him after a failed season at PSG.

I'm not sure how my post was in any way passive aggressive, I was genuinely confused by how you've determined that he is good business and why you were already attacking people for things they've not even said when he's not even kicked a ball for you. Using 'they wanted 70m and we got him for 50m' isn't really a justification. That's simply how negotiations work, the selling side start high, the buying side low and a deal is reached somewhere in the middle.

Whether Ugarte represents good or bad business will be determined by how he performs. If in 12 months Utd are still looking for a player in that position it will be bad business, if however he resolves the issue then it will be good, with just how good/bad depending on how well/poorly he does. Maybe had you had a body of evidence to work off (him being a proven top level performer at a high level) then I could understand how you've reached your view but ultimately you're taking bit of a gamble on him after a failed season at PSG.
Because football is about opinions, especially on an internet forum. I am basing my opinion on what's being reported. They wanted 70m Euros, we bought for 50m + 10m Addons they got 10% sell on fee. So purely based on the business side of it , I have the opinion we have done good business, not attacked anyone.

If he starts off settling into the league at a slow pace, makes a few mistakes , I am convinced there will be many who will be getting their torches and pitchforks out claiming him to be a dud.

Because football is about opinions, especially on an internet forum. I am basing my opinion on what's being reported. They wanted 70m Euros, we bought for 50m + 10m Addons they got 10% sell on fee. So purely based on the business side of it , I have the opinion we have done good business, not attacked anyone.

If he starts off settling into the league at a slow pace, makes a few mistakes , I am convinced there will be many who will be getting their torches and pitchforks out claiming him to be a dud.
Ok, as I said I was confused by how you reached your opinion and if it is because you got more than what they initially asked for then I've got some magic beans for sale. I want £2k. If you can get them for £1k then you've done amazing business ;)

I'm exaggerating obviously but you can spin the fee however you want. You getting 10m euros off the initial asking price doesn't mean much if the initial asking price was ott to begin with. Bottom line is PSG have got, give or take, their money back on a player that failed for them (that rarely happens for a big club), I'd say that's a good deal for them. - whether the deal can also work for Utd, only time will tell but imo I'm not sure how you can confidently say it will before he's kicked a ball. Utd are taking a bit of a punt, hoping they can succeed where PSG couldn't with him.

On your last sentence, I'm sure you're right but that's how the media and internet work. Too many people only deal in extremes, there's very little middle ground in these debates.

Ok, as I said I was confused by how you reached your opinion and if it is because you got more than what they initially asked for then I've got some magic beans for sale. I want £2k. If you can get them for £1k then you've done amazing business ;)

I'm exaggerating obviously but you can spin the fee however you want. You getting 10m euros off the initial asking price doesn't mean much if the initial asking price was ott to begin with. Bottom line is PSG have got, give or take, their money back on a player that failed for them (that rarely happens for a big club), I'd say that's a good deal for them. - whether the deal can also work for Utd, only time will tell but imo I'm not sure how you can confidently say it will before he's kicked a ball. Utd are taking a bit of a punt, hoping they can succeed where PSG couldn't with him.

On your last sentence, I'm sure you're right but that's how the media and internet work. Too many people only deal in extremes, there's very little middle ground in these debates.
Oh but Baz you should know me of old, I love to debate but thats another thread for another time ;)

He will be first choice over partey 100%
Partey is great when fit however he isn't fit often the same can be said for Jesus.

My best guess and I am not Arteta would be this is Parteys last season and Merino will replace him long term.

I am looking forward to seeing him at the Emirates this season and how he integrates, Having someone who is slightly slower and methodical will be something of great use to us for the games that require a more thoughtful approach. My only hope now is a forward I am very happy with Havertz however a plan B is something that would be useful especially with Jesus equally awful injury record.

They seem to do that now, because swaps does nothing for FFP, whereas a sale shows adds a number to the profits column. Then the purchase gets amortised.
To be fair this is nothing new, swaps have mostly been done like that for a really long time.

On the Sterling topic, urgh. I am not feeling this one at all. Mostly I just don't like him but I also don't think he's good enough and is only going to get worse.

I’m not feeling this either, in fact it will do more harm than good in the long run in putting a pause on the development of Amad and Garnacho as they compete for game time. That is presuming it even works in the short term.

This deal is something United of old would make, just over the hill big name…

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom