Summer Transfer Thread 24/25

Don
Am I missing something? Using transfermarkt to give a rough idea of the value of the two Juve players, £20m + Iling-Junior & McKennie equates to circa £60m for Luis. In what world have Villa had their pants pulled down? Luiz is a good player that's had a good season but he's no superstar and certainly isn't worth (much) more than that, especially not in the current financial climate with very few clubs having much money to spend. It's barely 18 months ago when he was being touted about for £20m

Soldato
Am I missing something? Using transfermarkt to give a rough idea of the value of the two Juve players, £20m + Iling-Junior & McKennie equates to circa £60m for Luis. In what world have Villa had their pants pulled down? Luiz is a good player that's had a good season but he's no superstar and certainly isn't worth (much) more than that, especially not in the current financial climate with very few clubs having much money to spend. It's barely 18 months ago when he was being touted about for £20m
Aye but he hadn't banged Alisha Lerhman then though.

Associate

I love the man but have to agree here. He's been truly excellent since Emery came in and has improved tenfold, but the same argument could be made for almost every player he's managed since coming in. There's not many who wouldn't have doubled or even tripled in value as a result of his coaching.

It's not his valuation that upsets me, merely the fact that he's going.

There'll certainly be supporters who'll mourn the loss of Duran more. He's such a raw player that doesn't necessarily fit in with Emerys precise plan of action, but he's proved to be a real live wire that goes rogue and can turn games around as a result. In a lot of ways he's the purest form of forward, proper old-school and I think if he get's his head down he could be a true worldy.

Soldato
Do those two players make villa better?

No, so villa are being weakened and only getting 20 mil

Don

This is such a random post. Unless this was a straight 1 for 1 swap then how can you determine whether it makes Villa better or not? Villa may have decided that McKennie replaces the majority of what Luiz offers them and Iling-Junior + the £20m (which thanks to accountants may mean Villa can spend £60m+ more) that they can spend on other areas will make Villa better overall.

Associate

Have to trust the process. Though he's likely been advised to sell in order to balance the books a little, Emery pretty much makes all the transfer calls these days. We need squad depth desperately and if he's seen potential in the two players requested and can bank 20mill in process then fair enough.

Just look at what he was able to do with Rogers in only 4 months. 8 Million on a player everyone thought would be an average stopgap to bridge the injury crisis, then he turns him into one of the most promising attacking mids we've had for years.

Last edited:
Don
If Olise hadn't had the injury problems last season that he did then I'd love to see Liverpool in for him as a long term Salah replacement. A combined 16 goals and assists in less than 1300 minutes, for Palace, is exceptional. The problem is the less than 1300 minutes part, with him suffering two fairly major hamstring injuries in the past 12 months. I can't think of many players that have suffered major hamstring injuries at a young age that have aged well.

In other news Ornstein is reporting that Liverpool and Utd are trying to do a deal for Leny Yoro but that Real are favourites to sign him. I've never seen him kick a ball but we've been linked with him a bit over the past month or so and my French friend raves about him. I'd sign him just for the name tbh.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Yeah, haven't seen much of Branthwaite but he would have to be an absolute prodigy to be worth that much. Fundamentally he isn't a sure thing and paying £70m for something that isn't almost guaranteed is silly. When you pay big transfer fees you usually end up paying higher salaries as well.

Soldato
Apparently olise's release clause can only be triggered by clubs in the Champs League, Chelsea are supposed favourites so how much do we think they are gonna be paying, another 100mill player?

Caporegime
Yeah, haven't seen much of Branthwaite but he would have to be an absolute prodigy to be worth that much. Fundamentally he isn't a sure thing and paying £70m for something that isn't almost guaranteed is silly. When you pay big transfer fees you usually end up paying higher salaries as well.

Everton had the 4th best defence in the league and he played 41 games last season. He is also left footed. I think he is everything we need. He also played for PSV last season and even won a cup. A bit surprised Gareth didn't take him but I guess that makes him a bit cheaper. Quite experienced for a 21 year old.

He is 50 million player tops and hopefully with Everton's financial situation we can squeeze them at least a little.

On paper he seems great for what ETH needs. As much as I love Martinez he needs to stay fit and possibly Martinez can end up being played as CDM anyway.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Apparently olise's release clause can only be triggered by clubs in the Champs League, Chelsea are supposed favourites so how much do we think they are gonna be paying, another 100mill player?

At what point does that become moot? Lets say his release clause is £50m. Arsenal come in and offer that. Chelsea come in and say we will pay £60m and pay him higher wages. He doesn't have to go to Arsenal if he wants to go to Chelsea. The club aren't going to be able to extract way more from Chelsea.

Back
Top Bottom