Tabletop Warhammer?

Anyone here play Vampires, Tomb Kings, Skaven or Deamons of Chaos?

Thinking of getting a 2nd fantasy army, but unsure what direction to take it.

My Empire are at 2K point, and have about 1K of extra, so can tweak it for each game.

Not too keen on 40K but have a 1K Dark Eldar force.

Bit of background, my Empire are 'witch-hunters' more akin to the Van Helsing film, so dark drab colours and shiney metals.

Looking for something a little different, yet something I can add my own touch to. I will be popping in the local store Saturday to ask the same thing, but I am hoping you guys can give me a bit of gamers inside info?

Anyone here play Vampires, Tomb Kings,

Played VC and TK in 6th, mostly VC though. Starting Skaven atm.

VC are definitely the stronger army, but seem limited in troop choices. (skeles/zombies useless. Black knights are poo, as wolves and swarms from what I hear.) I remember TK being very difficult to play well, you really need to abuse the magic phase to keep the army mobile.

Having seen the new Ogres on a leaked site, I am thinking of grabbing a ton of them when I go Games Day.

Never even thought of them, but the new ones look absolutely amazing! More so the Firebelly and Stonetusk models!!

Vamps here, used to have a big GW army, but since built another using Mantics models for the bulk of the troops, far better skelles and zombies imo, and much much cheaper.

DSCF0077.jpg

DSCF0072.jpg

Vamps here, used to have a big GW army, but since built another using Mantics models for the bulk of the troops, far better skelles and zombies imo, and much much cheaper.

+1 on that.
I got their Mhorgoths rising box to help bulk out my VC army. Their core units are superb. I much prefer their ghoul models over GW - the skeletons I'm not too fond of.

Coincidentally, I have all the dwarves from said box for sale/swop (still on sprue's)if anyone wants them. I've been slacking about putting them up on the bay :p

Just looked at the MG Zombies and Ghouls, loving them, but the skellies are quite bad imo. Might look into that venture, and also into Ogres, more towards Ogres to be fair. The new models are :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D /wipes slobber off chin.

We will see.

Anyone read 'Broken Honou' or 'Warrior Priest' in the Warhammer novels? Want to pick one up, and not sure which one. Just finished reading the 3rd of the Storms of Magic Books.

Want something bigger and really good, but not Horus Heresy as I am a Fantasy man now.

can anyone tell me if the 40k imperial guard tanith ghost army is still usable?
ive not played in a long time and the rules have changed and also some models aren't being made any more so was just wandering if they are still able to deploy on a game or just collectors items now?

No Idea on the tanith, sorry. don't have the current codex for them unfortunately.

Currently working away on the manor house, have been distracted by the space marine demo on my 360 though.

Keep looking at the new zombie dragon & thinking about doing a vampire counts army. Was thinking of having a Lamiah vampire in there & using some of my tomb king skellies as her personal retinue. Nice, works with the fluff & is a unit or 2 I can use from my tomb kings army. Need to get either my tomb kings or bretonnians finshed first though.

No Idea on the tanith, sorry. don't have the current codex for them unfortunately.

Currently working away on the manor house, have been distracted by the space marine demo on my 360 though.

Keep looking at the new zombie dragon & thinking about doing a vampire counts army. Was thinking of having a Lamiah vampire in there & using some of my tomb king skellies as her personal retinue. Nice, works with the fluff & is a unit or 2 I can use from my tomb kings army. Need to get either my tomb kings or bretonnians finshed first though.

cheers for the reply mate and would be good to see some pics if you do decide to do a vampire counts army sounds like you have a good idea of what you want unlike me.... i can't decide between tanith, steel legion or plague marines or possibly even a fallen angels army (see what i mean lol) :D

Personally I wouldn't do plague marines, its a terribly expensive army as the core troops are fine cast & at £25.50 per squad thats a bit much for me. Lack of plastics means all the squads are going to look a bit too simalar for my liking. Same with the tanith & why I didn't do an army of them when they were first released.

Steel legion wouldn't be too bad, as there will (hopefully) be lots of tanks so will be infantry light for guard. Put the extra touches on the tanks & they will distract from the pose repetition on the infantry.

These days I'm looking at armies that are almost all plastic. Easier to convert & get a nice unique feel. If I do vampire counts I'll be converting blood knights from chaos knights most likely, £61.50 for a unit of 5 is just ridiculous pricing.

I'm just waiting to see how much I can make from my old unwanted GW stuff I'm selling off, then I can get me the book, plan an army & start buying.

EDIT - just had a dig through my endless boxes of bits & found, 1 partially assembled (but complete) black coach, mounted vampire, unmounted vampire, built unit of 20 zombies, built unit of 20 skellies with hand weapons, loads of skellies on sprues & a big bag of the plastic grave stones. This has clinched it, vampire counts on the way for me

Last edited:
Personally I wouldn't do plague marines, its a terribly expensive army as the core troops are fine cast & at £25.50 per squad thats a bit much for me. Lack of plastics means all the squads are going to look a bit too simalar for my liking. Same with the tanith & why I didn't do an army of them when they were first released.

Steel legion wouldn't be too bad, as there will (hopefully) be lots of tanks so will be infantry light for guard. Put the extra touches on the tanks & they will distract from the pose repetition on the infantry.

These days I'm looking at armies that are almost all plastic. Easier to convert & get a nice unique feel. If I do vampire counts I'll be converting blood knights from chaos knights most likely, £61.50 for a unit of 5 is just ridiculous pricing.

I'm just waiting to see how much I can make from my old unwanted GW stuff I'm selling off, then I can get me the book, plan an army & start buying.

EDIT - just had a dig through my endless boxes of bits & found, 1 partially assembled (but complete) black coach, mounted vampire, unmounted vampire, built unit of 20 zombies, built unit of 20 skellies with hand weapons, loads of skellies on sprues & a big bag of the plastic grave stones. This has clinched it, vampire counts on the way for me

well for the plague marines i wouldn't be buying them from GW i will be ordering the conversion set from forge world, i had an army of plague from GW a few years back and i really enjoyed painting them.

the tanith army was an army i enjoyed using in games but theres not a lot of selection for them so i think thats out of the question.

the steel legion would be mainly super heavy tanks from forge world and not many troops as you say, i also enjoyed painting these models back in the day but to be honest i did get a little bored of painting the exact same thing over and over again and also not much detail can be added on these models which also made it a little boreing

Unfortunately, gaunt and his ghosts have been removed from the latest codex for whatever reason so they cannot be used unless you play someone that's ok with the old rules for them. A mate of mine is mid way through making an elysian drop troops army, its costing a small fortune but it'll be awesome when its done.

Just out of curiosity, is anyone headed to games day at the NEC this year?

I've recently cleared out my old bedroom at my parents house because they are redecorating my old room.

I've rescued all my old warhammer 40k stuff and i'm not sure what to do with it.

I've got various imperial guard and space marine stuff of varying degrees of quality of painting (as i got older and better) all in the padded carry cases.

It seems a shame to throw it away, but on the other hand i just can't get back into as i don't have the time any more.

Any suggestions what to do with it all ?

I've recently cleared out my old bedroom at my parents house because they are redecorating my old room.

I've rescued all my old warhammer 40k stuff and i'm not sure what to do with it.

I've got various imperial guard and space marine stuff of varying degrees of quality of painting (as i got older and better) all in the padded carry cases.

It seems a shame to throw it away, but on the other hand i just can't get back into as i don't have the time any more.

Any suggestions what to do with it all ?

Don't throw it away it'd be a massive shame. You can donate it all to me! I'll put it to good use! :D :p

Back
Top Bottom