Tabletop Warhammer?

Associate
Depends on the level of game you're playing.

At a tournament, no. Terminators must be on 40mm bases, even if they're the old ones.

If you're just throwing some dice at a local shop, most people won't really care. That said, 40k players can be hilariously uptight about the smallest things sometimes, so you might get a few comments.

My suggestion would be to just rebase them to avoid any hassle in the future, but obviously it's up to you.

Associate
Yeah I've just started putting together my Ironblaster and it seems tiny compared to them! Four of them split into two units of two should look good at 1000pts. It does take a minute although I have the rider in pieces the mournfang itself as 1 piece and the chair/saddle as another piece. Planned out the next 1400 pts for after Christmas to get the army battle ready.

Associate
Those Tau could do with some more edge highlighting, either in grey, on in that neon blue/green to really make them pop. The large amount of black space detracts slightly from what is so far a promising start.

Fenrsian Grey has a blue tinge to it, which could tie in with the blue/green of your accent colour. Stronger edge highlights can look a bit cartoony, but on the tabletop can look very impressive.

Associate
Are Tyranid close combat armies viable? From a fluff perspective when I think of tyranids its hordes of monsters charging into combat rather than being a ranged force

Associate
I think some of there recent additions will help them get into combat, off the top of my head one of the new units gave nearby units shrouded (+2 to cover saves, 5+ save in the open), plus the new drop pod style bits could be pretty useful for dropping squad in near the enemy or dropping an MC in (that bit could be scary)

Got a game tonight at 1250 and here is what I am running

chaos lord with jump pack, with 5 x raptors (1 x melta)

6 x bikes (2 x melta)

20 cultists (2 squads of 10)

10 x CSM (h.bolter, plasma gun)

1 x forgefiend (plasma cannons)

5 x havocs (las, h.bolter, missile launcher, auto cannon)

its a bit of a hap dash list as my army is quite hap dash but I am hoping that with 3 scoring units and a fair bit of tank/mc busting power I may just about stand a chance.

Last edited:
Associate
It was a fun game, I lost (something like 5 - 2)

a few highlights.

- Opponent took a shot at my cultists with a plasma cannon, it scatters catching my forgefiend which promptly exploded killing 8 cultists (between 2 squad).

- Chaos lord was with a group of raptors, second turn he is on the table assaults a devastator squad (with axe of blind fury), he already has 3 attacks + Rage from MoK + Daemon Weapon (+D6 attacks at S6 AP2) giving him 10 attacks, kills 4 of the devastators. My opponent had put a lot of fire on the raptors when they arrived so at this point there is only my lord and a raptor left, raptor successfully kills the last guy.

- Cultists in cover are ridiculous, one squad managed to sit on an objective and take out a SM squad and only lose 2 squad members them selves.

- My opponent had a squad of terminators with vengeful strike, brings them down next to my Chaos marines, aspiring champion has a power fists and proceeds to bitch slap 4 terminators in 3 rounds of combat.

- I stupidly charged his dreadnaught with my bikes, only once in combat did I realise they could only krakk grenade his ass, his dreadnaught proceeds to bitch slap my bikers.

The list worked quite well, the forgefiend met an unfortunate end very early on, had it survived the 2 plasma cannons would have been very useful and would have probably made it a much closer game. But fun none the less.

Associate
I'd drop the HB for plasma cannon, I find HB very lacking recently apart from on my scout squads, the 2+ to wound is pretty awesome. Just wish they would buff scouts with snipers, makes no sense the way it is now! who gives the worst shots a sniper rifle? lol

Associate
Sounds like a good game! Ones where unexpected things happen are the best. Was playing one once where I randomly fired my fire prism at a bastion, it explodes killing 2 dev squads and a scout squad inside... that was a good day :D

Those marine termies seem really unlucky! Your chaos lord seems epic though!

Not sure if they can take plasma cannons either. Definitely worth it if they can though

Associate
The chaos lord costs about 170 points fully equipped but so worth it, except that when generating the extra attacks for the daemon weapon if I roll a 1 the lord takes a wound (no save) and has WS1 until his next turn.

Looking back I could have given my lord Aura of Dark Glory (5+ inv) which may have saved him in his fatal fight against Ezekial (damn force swords)

Associate
Its a difficult toss up isnt it. Ideally you dont want too many points sunk into one easily-ish killable person.. but when they go all bad-ass its so much fun :D

I tend to run my HQs pretty stock now tbh to get more bodies on the board and make sure they have a bodyguard to make sure the enemy dont get slay the warlord too easily

Associate
Its a difficult toss up isnt it. Ideally you dont want too many points sunk into one easily-ish killable person.. but when they go all bad-ass its so much fun :D

I tend to run my HQs pretty stock now tbh to get more bodies on the board and make sure they have a bodyguard to make sure the enemy dont get slay the warlord too easily

Putting the chaos lord on a bike, and giving him axe of blind fury is pretty OP at times as it gives a t5 speeding maniac, back that up with another 6 bikers all MoK and you get a group who can get into combat quickly and you are looking at 19 attacks from the squad, plus the chaos lord with a possible 11 attacks on the charge with a good roll for the daemon weapon.

Just checked my codex and havocs/CSM squad can not take plasma cannons, just plasma guns.

Back
Top Bottom