Tabletop Warhammer?

Caporegime
From faeit 212.

Also from faeit

None of that is all that positive in my opinion

I listened/read a few opinions on the game and they all seemed to come to the conclusion that the game is broken.

The lack of point values seems counter intuitive to me.

There is a world of difference between re-launching a game, new rules, new point system, new armies and what they are doing now.

They could have cleared up and made the rules much simpler, with new models due, new armies (re-launched armies) rather than do this.

Associate
Yeah I don't see age of sigmar ever being remotely balanced. It really is aimed for people just to take what they want and roll some dice without thinking. It's a real shame that this is what warhammer has come to. Like shamikebab says if this really takes off I wouldn't be surprised if 40k goes this way. Unbound is already close.

Permabanned
I've watched a few games of AoS now and come to the conclusion that GW have just tried to merge some of the better balanced table top games into one ugly un-balanced mess.

If anyone is considering selling their armies of fantasy, give Kings of War a go first as that is pretty good fun.

Anyway, will still be getting the box set but will be using them for DnD and Kings of War games.

Caporegime
I've watched a few games of AoS now and come to the conclusion that GW have just tried to merge some of the better balanced table top games into one ugly un-balanced mess.

If anyone is considering selling their armies of fantasy, give Kings of War a go first as that is pretty good fun.

Anyway, will still be getting the box set but will be using them for DnD and Kings of War games.

I popped in to the local 'Warhammer' shop this afternoon (to pick up the Space Marine codex) and to have a chat with the guy that runs it (who's awesome), the general feeling among the people in the shop (not the manager) was that AoS is either going to have huge changes or people will just keep playing using the Warhammer rule book.

Associate
Assumes they are allowed to. I can't imagine the company wanting them to play old rules in store as then they aren't spending money as all the new kits are AoS only. Unless of course you mean they will play elsewhere. It's a shame as although I hadn't been playing in the campaign as much as I wanted there's really no way for the escalation format of it to work under AoS. The stores page and the group for the campaign have all been very quiet lately.

Caporegime
Assumes they are allowed to. I can't imagine the company wanting them to play old rules in store as then they aren't spending money as all the new kits are AoS only. Unless of course you mean they will play elsewhere. It's a shame as although I hadn't been playing in the campaign as much as I wanted there's really no way for the escalation format of it to work under AoS. The stores page and the group for the campaign have all been very quiet lately.

Yes, sorry the manager stayed out of the discussion (he was talking to a couple of kids at the till about Warhammer 40'000), and I asked the people that were round the table / painting what they thought of AoS (as me and my friend had been discussing it) and they all said they thought it was very broken, needed a 'proper' rule book; and certainly needed point values ('How else will you arrange battles?'), they came the conclusion that they would just continue to play Warhammer but elsewhere (as they obviously could not play in store).

The store still had quite a bit of Warhammer models on display / for sale. I'm going to nip back in next week (or Saturday morning) and pick up some more models.

I hope they do 'fix' AoS :).

Permabanned
I honestly see these "Free" 4 page rules as a pre-lude for something to come. Something that "just about works" with the old and new models. Give it 6 months and they will start bringing out new armies and I hope(!) some proper rules for the game.

Think of these rules as a temporary fix in order to be able to merge old fantasy with the new stuff. Then again, it IS GW.... the only thing they really care about is the price of their stocks.

Associate
I went to Warhammer World yesterday to pick up my AoS pre order. Whilst there me and a friend played a game with the units from the starter box.

Our battle lasted 6 turns and took over two hours. It was great fun too.

Permabanned
Sq3CFux.png

Yes, that is correct. £30 for 5 models, that's £6 each! Considering you can get the entire starter set, which contains 10 of these guys for £75 along with loads of other models, this seems an insane price to pay for some models. Agreed that they are totally customisable where as the starter set has set stuff... but considering you pay £37.50 for each "side" in the starter set. £7.50 extra gets you 5 more guys, 3 of the two handed chaps, 1 lord on a dragon thing, 3 angels and 1 priest!

Caporegime
The ones in the set aren't the same as these ones. The set ones are ten plastic monopose models. These are poseable kits with multiple weapon options. I still think they're expensive though.

I kind of ordered the starter set. I'm going to paint a few models following the Painting Buddha tutorials (they're doing the Chaos lord this week for free again) then I'll sell some of the other models on I think.

Caporegime
Also has anyone seen the ranged guys leaked?

Yes they carry Rapid fire Boltstorm crossbows...it's like GW aren't even trying to disguise that they're just space marines. Can't wait for the Heavy Boltstorm unit and maybe they can release a Dreadknight or something :D

TAfNca0.jpg

Permabanned
The ones in the set aren't the same as these ones. The set ones are ten plastic monopose models. These are poseable kits with multiple weapon options. I still think they're expensive though.

I kind of ordered the starter set. I'm going to paint a few models following the Painting Buddha tutorials (they're doing the Chaos lord this week for free again) then I'll sell some of the other models on I think.

Yeah, you do get a fair bit of customization for the poseable kits, but yeah £6 each for that is insane. Really wise they were £20 or so .. but I am not TOO worried about my army looking to similar, so will just double up on the starter set.

And LOL at the ranged guys, crazy. Even the range is similar, 12'' "rapid fire" crossbows. Pretty much Marines with hatred Chaos.

Permabanned
"Thank you for ordering with Gifts for Geeks!" - £100

Ordered the starter set for me and a friend for £60, he got £25 worth of paint and brushes and I topped up some of my paints. He is doing Chaos and I am doing Sigmarines.

Soldato
GeeDub will have lost tens of thousands of older gamers with massive collections fantasy armies with this typical money grubbing change, I must go on some sites to feel the rage, I knew nothing of these changes!

Permabanned
@ Thep02 - Its bad, but from a business point of view Old gamers with massive collections of fantasy army won't be buying any more models... at least not to the extent of a new player.

This is a video from GMG that has the starter box set facing off against each other and IMO it seems to play well. I think this further reinforces the fact that these rules for the other armies are just temp. till they release some new armies and such.

Back
Top Bottom