1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tabletop Warhammer?

Discussion in 'Tabletop Games, Wargaming and Scale Modelling.' started by Arcimbaldo, 4 Apr 2011.

1. Game

Wise Guy

loads of local clubs who normaly play many varied games

avoid the shops and anything official

2. Crizzy

Wise Guy

As Game said, maybe try and find a local going club you can pop along to so you can see what's going on? You don't even need to have an army or anything, you can pop down and start getting to know what's what.

Maybe there is something in on Meetup? There might not be loads on until everything opens up fully perhaps. I'm not sure where you are in Wales, but Firestorm Games in Cardiff is pretty decent :)

3. Bigpig

Soldato

Dominion can be had sub £100.... Very tempted

4. Kenai

Capodecina

If you're vaguely interested in any of the models, by GW recent form you may as well buy it. They'll release a box of 4 of the minis for £65 or something in a few months.

5. Game

Wise Guy

I very rarely buy GW models now the size creep and massive bosses put me off but then most games only last five turns

Next project for me is to finish my 10mm fantasy armies

6. Bigpig

Soldato

warhammer+ coming August. The animations look class.

7. Johno please?

Mobster

At least the price is reasonable, hahah the exclusive miniature is what will get people in, they cant resist that, dont care for either of them myself.

8. Bigpig

Soldato

So yeah I might have a problem...
    [​IMG]

9. MoNkeE

Sgarrista

Been plugging through the Stormcast from the Dominion boxset myself at the moment. Got the first 10 Vindicators painted, and finished off Yndrasta yesterday. Started on the 3 heavy guys next.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Cantankerous

Gangster

Looking good. The blades stand out nicely. I've seen too many that fade into the wings. Yours give it a nice pop.

Did you use a static grass applicator? Static grass is on my 'would like to have' list. :)

I've still not fully built one Vindicator yet. Getting back in after years and I've been too ambitious with sculpting shoulders and trying to make helms.

11. MoNkeE

Sgarrista

Thanks, I wanted the blades to be more than just metal, and the oranges contrasted well with the wings as you say, and suit her wrathful face.

I use the cheapest static applicator going - a party balloon :p apply PVA, pour plenty of grass on top, blow up balloon and rub it on your head, then wave it above the grass. It’ll largely stand on end!

it isn’t as effective as an applicator, but for £2, it’ll do!

12. BS Dave

Mobster

This is incredible mate

13. Dis86

Caporegime

Precisely what the Sanguinius model should have been.

14. FirebarUK

Soldato

First time touching GW stuff since early 90's for me! Interesting to see how things have changed, miss the old shape Space Marine (earlier Mk power armour? pointy nose and the usual grill mouth stuff) and also miss the the original Warhammer Fantasy stuff, not digging Age of Sigmar which seems to blend too many themes for me.

So, I picked up a Middle Earth kit, the Battle of Pelennor Fields. One thing which is pretty impressive is the quality of the plastic moulding now, really top notch.

15. Kenai

Capodecina

'Oldhammer' should be back within a couple of years, supposedly with square bases for proper rank & file units and everything.

16. FirebarUK

Soldato

Tell me it's true..... I might need to start saving up :/

17. Kenai

Capodecina

They're publishing updates on it's development every now and then on Warhammer Community but no firm release date yet

18. Werewolf

Commissario

That might get me and several of my friends back to playing Fantasy.

I've got what are literally two complete Fantasy armies here that I'd started work on just before they killed it with the result they've been sat in boxes for years. From memory i've got about 100 clan rats, 50 storm vermin and 50 plague monks in parts ready for assembly, and all the other bits for a fairly big army in their boxes (and an Empire army that is smaller but also in it's boxes).

IIRC I'd just painted up a skirmish force when they announced the end of Fantasy and it resulted in all my enthusiasm for the project dissolving, so I moved back to my 40k projects.

I think younger brother had just bought/painted about 200 goblins for an orc army and he was not happy.

Although having said that, these days I'm mainly painting and playing the smaller force games, so things like Bloodbowl, Necromunda, Kill team, AI and Titanicus.

Whilst i'm posting in here, if anyone is getting fed up with paints settling/having to shake the bottles I can highly recommend a proper Vortex mixer, I ended up paying about £100 for a good one and it seems to be working really well.
    It's recovered a number of my ancient Vallejo model air paints, and seems to do a reasonable job with GW paints if they've not completely separated and gone solid. It's expensive, but the way I looked at it was that if it saved me buying just 20-30 paints it's paid for itself and it's saving a lot of time and effort in shaking airbrush paints before use (I tried a £25 ebay vortex mixer and it died within minutes).

Last edited: 11 Aug 2021
  19. MoNkeE

Sgarrista

Thanks man!

I refer to has Sister Sanguinius :p Ive painted both Horus and Ferrus from the Primarch line, and they’re just horrible models to work with. Finecast is just blurgh.

Couple of shots of the next few models finished:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

20. Kenai

Capodecina

Ordered the new Kill Team box because i'm a sucker for new and shiny.