Tabletop Warhammer?

Soldato
What’s your green recipe it’s lovely?

Whole model is great but I want to steal that
It’s nothing spesh bud. I think it’s something like Castellan Green > Warpstone Green > Moot Green or whatever the paints are called. I do a bit of semi-glazed highlights with the warpstone to give a very lazy NMM sheen to it, then edge highlight with Moot Green. Might tap a few spot highlights later with some white added to moot.

Soldato
Love them. I was tempted to do mine that legion but they won't look as good as that so now I don't want to lol.

Something I struggled with when doing the trim other than the floppy point on my AO brush which I'm really unimpressed with. I am trying to be really light touch and it's like the paint doesn't come off the brush. Would this suggest the paint is not thin enough? Or maybe it's just trying too fast because I was using the size zero.

I've never really understood about thinning metallic paints because if you add too much thinner you see the speckles floating about.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raz

Raz

Raz

Soldato
Love them. I was tempted to do mine that legion but they won't look as good as that so now I don't want to lol.

Something I struggled with when doing the trim other than the floppy point on my AO brush which I'm really unimpressed with. I am trying to be really light touch and it's like the paint doesn't come off the brush. Would this suggest the paint is not thin enough? Or maybe it's just trying too fast because I was using the size zero.

I've never really understood about thinning metallic paints because if you add too much thinner you see the speckles floating about.

Yeah maybe thin it a little more then do a really thin coat and build it up. For my wordbearers I've taken the following approach for the body:

Spray them leadbelcher
Nuln oil all over
Do the edge highlights
Do the armour panels using khorne red - thinned out a lot but I then use tiny amounts to control how much goes on and build layers
Agrax the red
Add in the highlights using wazzdakka red

I've been using a citadel small layer brush along with the army painter regiment brush.

Soldato
I thought they were World Eaters. Clearly I don't know the difference lol.
I've been meaning to get a can of leadbelcher actually, for when I try a metallic purple on my war dogs.

• Haha
Reactions: Raz

Raz

Raz

Soldato
I thought they were World Eaters. Clearly I don't know the difference lol.
I've been meaning to get a can of leadbelcher actually, for when I try a metallic purple on my war dogs.

Haha, it's always been the wordbearers for me. Bit bland but they're true believers lol. I did think about World Eaters next but can't deal with having another army painted red lol.

Soldato
Ohhhh, thought there was some deeper meaning there :D

In other news, I have ordered a few colour forge sprays to hopefully assist in me getting more than 50 points of one army properly painted before I move to the next model.

Last edited:
Soldato
starting to try and make a dent in my pile of shame. Going to try slapchopping up a dark angels squad. Have primed them all using vallejo black primer through an airbrush, but worried the primer is a bit to shinny. The primer is supposed to be matt, but as its one of those polyurethane ones it leaves a bit of a sheen. Dry brushed them all with Eshin grey and then a light dry brush of Vallejo Game Colour deadwhite to get a non airbrush style zenithal. Result looks ok prior to then slapping on some contrast / speed paints, but I can't say I am overly happy with the quality of the first step. Are there black, grey and white/ivory/bone colours/brands that give better results or is it just a case of practice with what I have got as the paint is only really a small factor in the result. I learnt the hard way you can't dry brush Vallejo ployurethane primers without knackering your models, so they Vallejo grey and white primers are a no go.

Sgarrista
Commissario
starting to try and make a dent in my pile of shame. Going to try slapchopping up a dark angels squad. Have primed them all using vallejo black primer through an airbrush, but worried the primer is a bit to shinny. The primer is supposed to be matt, but as its one of those polyurethane ones it leaves a bit of a sheen. Dry brushed them all with Eshin grey and then a light dry brush of Vallejo Game Colour deadwhite to get a non airbrush style zenithal. Result looks ok prior to then slapping on some contrast / speed paints, but I can't say I am overly happy with the quality of the first step. Are there black, grey and white/ivory/bone colours/brands that give better results or is it just a case of practice with what I have got as the paint is only really a small factor in the result. I learnt the hard way you can't dry brush Vallejo ployurethane primers without knackering your models, so they Vallejo grey and white primers are a no go.

I found dark angels green to be one of the really nasty colors to work with until I stopped trying to zenith it and instead used grey seer all over and put quite heavy layers on contrast over the top. That gave the really deep rich dark angels color and some quick drybrushing on the edges with warp stone glow followed by moot green to pick out highlights.

Raz

Raz

Soldato
How does this Chaos army look?

Wordbearers (1615 points)
Chaos Space Marines
Strike Force (2000 points)
Slaves to Darkness

CHARACTERS

Chaos Lord (75 points)
• Mark of Chaos: Chaos Undivided
• Warlord
• 1x Daemon hammer
1x Plasma pistol

Chaos Lord in Terminator Armour (95 points)
• 1x Combi-bolter
1x Exalted weapon

Dark Apostle (75 points)
• 1x Dark Apostle
• 1x Accursed crozius
1x Bolt pistol
• 2x Dark Disciple
• 2x Close combat weapon

Dark Commune (55 points)
• 1x Cult Demagogue
• 1x Autopistol
1x Commune stave
• 1x Mindwitch
• 1x Close combat weapon
1x Warp Curse
• 1x Iconarch
• 1x Autopistol
1x Chaos Icon
1x Close combat weapon
• 2x Blessed Blade
• 2x Commune blade

Master of Possession (80 points)
• 1x Bolt pistol
1x Rite of Possession
1x Staff of possession

BATTLELINE

Cultist Mob (55 points)
• 1x Cultist Champion
• 1x Autopistol
1x Brutal assault weapon
• 9x Chaos Cultist
• 9x Autopistol
9x Brutal assault weapon

Legionaries (90 points)
• 1x Aspiring Champion
• 1x Bolt pistol
1x Close combat weapon
1x Plasma pistol
• 4x Legionary
• 4x Bolt pistol
3x Boltgun
4x Close combat weapon
1x Plasma gun

Legionaries (90 points)
• 1x Aspiring Champion
• 1x Astartes chainsword
1x Bolt pistol
1x Close combat weapon
• 4x Legionary
• 3x Astartes chainsword
4x Bolt pistol
4x Close combat weapon
1x Havoc autocannon

DEDICATED TRANSPORTS

Chaos Rhino (75 points)
• 1x Armoured tracks
1x Combi-bolter
1x Havoc launcher

OTHER DATASHEETS

Accursed Cultists (95 points)
• 5x Mutant
• 5x Blasphemous appendages
• 3x Torment
• 3x Hideous mutations

Chaos Terminator Squad (195 points)
• 1x Terminator Champion
• 1x Chainfist
1x Combi-bolter
• 4x Chaos Terminator
• 1x Accursed weapon
2x Combi-bolter
1x Combi-weapon
3x Power fist
1x Reaper autocannon

Havocs (135 points)
• 1x Havoc Champion
• 1x Astartes chainsword
1x Flamer
• 4x Havoc
• 4x Close combat weapon
2x Havoc autocannon
2x Havoc lascannon

Helbrute (140 points)
• 1x Close combat weapon
1x Combi-bolter
1x Helbrute fist
1x Twin heavy bolter

Obliterators (170 points)
• 2x Obliterator
• 2x Crushing fists
2x Fleshmetal guns

Traitor Guardsmen Squad (70 points)
• 1x Traitor Sergeant
• 1x Close combat weapon
1x Corrupted pistol
• 9x Traitor Guardsmen
• 9x Close combat weapon
9x Lasgun

Venomcrawler (120 points)
• 2x Excruciator cannon
1x Soulflayer tendrils and claws

Soldato
Greyseer is a good base to use, works well with most other colours.
I found dark angels green to be one of the really nasty colors to work with until I stopped trying to zenith it and instead used grey seer all over and put quite heavy layers on contrast over the top. That gave the really deep rich dark angels color and some quick drybrushing on the edges with warp stone glow followed by moot green to pick out highlights.
thanks for the tips. I was looking at the dark angels green contrast paint yesterday and thought that looks like a bitch as it didn't look saturated enough for a one pass over a zenithal prime. So was going to opt for the regualr caliban green base colour and thin it out with a mixture of flow improver and matt agent and try and use that as a homebrew contrast / speed paint. But now I am thinking maybe just re-prime them all again in flat grey seer or do a very heavy dry brush with grey seer just leaving the very deepest recesses with the black primer still showing through to save some highlight steps and then use the premade contrast paint.

Back
Top Bottom