Tabletop Warhammer?

I'd love to compare them side by side to see what exactly extra one is getting with the 'fancy' ones, I'd wager not much for the price difference. Agree the really cheap ones though would be different.

Got boring stuff on the way, more IPA for some stripping, a £1 makeup brush for stippling, and a pipette so I can more accurately mix medium when needed. Assembled new termies, currently assembling spud launchers (Desolators). Also annoyingly went to buy a knight and showed in stock but then when I tried to check out it said it was OOS. In particular I want the Moirax with Lightning locks, without buying the regular Armigers and then relying on third party bits from various sources. The other Moirax variant is in stock.

Last edited:
Ended up buying ST-A’s for 20 quid and a sanding pen :D for 15. Will report back if they any good or if they even come hah.

Tested out the pro acryl primer this afternoon. It went on so smooth pretty shocked at how good it applied to a model.
Not sure on the durability. Not that great on a plastic spoon I ran a test on. Bottle says 24 hours to set. So will know more in the morning.

Think the other half got me a load of disposable supplies off temu!! Makeup sponges etc for stocking fillers :)

Last edited:
Appreciate the feedback, I'll check next time I'm in if those are one of the mixes the FLGS does.

If so, only sad panda thing is they're not big bags, and I may need a decent amount.
Turns out the FLGS does do Geek Gaming Scenics, so although it is unfortunate they don't do bigger bags, I'm glad I can pick these up locally. Turns out they're the ones that caught my eye before when I was in store so it's also good to know they're as good as they look. I will definitely be using some to hide the fact my ten man intercessor squad is built from store freebie marines and give a bit of theme across the range.

Blue/silver-wise, I also took a look at the Army Painter set to see the enchanted silver speedpaint, and unfortunately it just doesn't seem to have the blue tint I wanted, in the videos or pictures I'd seen or in person, but Scale 75 caught my eye with Cobalt Alchemy in thier metallics range. Its maybe a little more blue than I'd wanted but it's the best fit so far, so I picked up a pot of that whilst I was there.

The other benefit of going this route is I've heard the Scale 75s apply a little differently to other acrylics, so having two of thier paints will help me get some practice with using them.

Last edited:
Obviously I'm not good at painting but I see stuff like this and I wonder how the hell they think they are good enough to charge that (£80. I thought they looked quite good until I zoomed in.

Last edited:
Obviously I'm not good at painting but I see stuff like this and I wonder how the hell they think they are good enough to charge that (£80. I thought they looked quite good until I zoomed in.

Oof. Yeah my friend who's a bit of a perfectionist kicks this guy in the crotch, and he's not a pro. This guy is almost cartoonish and I'd like to think its some digital compression causing some of the issues but I'm not convinced. Definitely not worth double the price of buying the box lol

I mean I'll admit I've bought some pre built and primed models to save time and money, but no way would I spent extra on that level of paint job when I don't think I'd be much worse.

I guess they are targeting people who don't have the time or space to paint, who will take what they can get.

Last edited:

I saw some on ebay the other day, let me see if I can find it... it was advertised as "pro painted" or similar and it was laughably bad.

Just just bought a 5 litre keg of it and emptied into a airtight container, every now an then run it through filter paper.

Yeah I got 2.5l but before I always just chucked it, now I will sieve it and it should last me forever, had it since like 2015 lol.

I've never been tempted to purchase pre anything models as it's part of the fun for me, seeing how bad I am :) Tried some green contrasts after watching a video on how to use them on SM's, I was not able to replicate lol, splotch city. Wonder if I really need to strip them, contrast is so thin I could probably just re-prime and go again.

Last edited:
I've never been tempted to purchase pre anything models as it's part of the fun for me, seeing how bad I am :) Tried some green contrasts after watching a video on how to use them on SM's, I was not able to replicate lol, splotch city. Wonder if I really need to strip them, contrast is so thin I could probably just re-prime and go again.

It does build up particularly in the corners so will dull detail, the good thing about the contrasts is if you chuck them in the IPA for an hour, then into a ultrasonic jewlery cleaner they come out absolutely flawlessly clean.

This wasnt the exact one, but near enough :D

WTF IS THAT :cry:

Look, I'm not one for ******** on other peoples efforts but by god how can you be deluded to think that is good.

2.Please contact us if you have any special requirements such as painting details or miniature constructions.

Uh yeah I have a requirement for it not to look as **** as the one you pictured in the advert.

Last edited:
WTF IS THAT :cry:

Look, I'm not one for ******** on other peoples efforts but by god how can you be deluded to think that is good.

Dont worry, he guarantees the quality.

On that note however, I am building my own nightbringer, the old model is.... well old... and for such an absolute beast on the table needs a model to match.

Turns out the FLGS does do Geek Gaming Scenics, so although it is unfortunate they don't do bigger bags, I'm glad I can pick these up locally. Turns out they're the ones that caught my eye before when I was in store so it's also good to know they're as good as they look. I will definitely be using some to hide the fact my ten man intercessor squad is built from store freebie marines and give a bit of theme across the range.

Blue/silver-wise, I also took a look at the Army Painter set to see the enchanted silver speedpaint, and unfortunately it just doesn't seem to have the blue tint I wanted, in the videos or pictures I'd seen or in person, but Scale 75 caught my eye with Cobalt Alchemy in thier metallics range. Its maybe a little more blue than I'd wanted but it's the best fit so far, so I picked up a pot of that whilst I was there.

The other benefit of going this route is I've heard the Scale 75s apply a little differently to other acrylics, so having two of thier paints will help me get some practice with using them.

Scale 75 metallics are mint. Probably my favourites.

Their normal acrylics I find a bit of a struggle, they’re extremely matt and I just find it really hard to get them nice and smooth. I’ve only got a few but I dunno I just think I’m probably not a smooth enough painter to use them or something. They are nice though.

Scale 75 metallics are mint. Probably my favourites.

Their normal acrylics I find a bit of a struggle, they’re extremely matt and I just find it really hard to get them nice and smooth. I’ve only got a few but I dunno I just think I’m probably not a smooth enough painter to use them or something. They are nice though.
They have a gel medium I believe. I picked up the gold box set and they are mint. Vallejo game model air for my silver’s. I might pick up the Army painter brass and copper speed paints after watching Vince’s review I posted.

New Vallejo paint brushes!!

I barely use my pen drill, prefer manual one by far.
Got Tamiya cutters, should last forever unlike those fragile ultra sharp ones.
Tamiya is a top brand. Do you have the single bladed cutters or the double bladed pinch cutters?

Tamiya do have single bladed nippers like Godhands and dspiea which are great.

Last edited:
Small aside just saw they've announced a 'Horrors of the Hive' set. Gotta say I'm pretty disappointed for tyranid 40k players who didn't get Leviathan or multiples of Leviathan, as the Neurotyrant and Screamer Killer are completely different unit types, and someone wanting one will not necessarily want the other, or multiples if they want to have 2 or 3 Screamer Killers.

Not really sure what they were thinking here, they should be seperate, and the Carnifex box should have been refreshed rather than just lifting the pushfit kit from Leviathan as Carnifexs are an absolute pain to get nowadays and rarely in stock, despite being a central part of the Tyranid army for decades at this point.

Last edited:
Is a pile of shame stuff still in boxes, or does it extend to assembled but not painted? Asking for a friend.

edit: @Bigpig ummmm not sure, single I think because only one blade looks sharp, seem to have gone up in price. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B010PG73J4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

In my eyes a pile of shame is stuff still in boxes!

Assembled but not painted, you can technically play with these, but stuff just sat in boxes while you still keep buying more plastic is true pile of shame territory!

Back
Top Bottom