Tabletop Warhammer?

Soldato
Caporegime
I have a similar looking set which is what I used to do the main base colours on my necrons recently, no complaints from me

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone got any tips re lighting? It's one of those things I'm loathe to spend too much on because you know, it's a light.

I have one of these, I could add another I guess but wodnered if there were some other reasonable options out there, my one has 3 modes, I use the middle: 3000K, 4200K, 6500K.

I would 200% say that dropping £110 or however much they are on a Neatfi lamp would give you LOADS more value than the same amount on paint as I know you’re eyeing up a paint set.

Your TTC paint should airbrush fine and you’ll see such a big difference from a really good light.

I tried the right temperature bulbs in a couple of IKEA lamps and I tried a smaller desk lamp too, when I got the Neatfi and set it up I was like yes… this is it. They’re amazing. There’s a few brands but the only pricey one I’ve tried is Neatfi and it’s honestly so great.

I have this one https://amzn.eu/d/dFNqDI0 but there’s a newer one which is about £135, don’t know what the difference is really.

Soldato
Blocking in the black on these is actually killing me, space marine under suits are tricky imo at the best of times depending on the pose but look at the state of these guys, got enough stuff hanging off your backpack there lads.

Also really hard to touch up as the armour base coat is like four colours blended :mad:

For some bits I’m watering down Black Legion until it looks like dirty paint water, dob it in so it flows in and then just do it about four more times until it’s black. Love Black Legion, absolute cheat code that paint

Last edited:
Soldato
I would 200% say that dropping £110 or however much they are on a Neatfi lamp would give you LOADS more value than the same amount on paint as I know you’re eyeing up a paint set.

Your TTC paint should airbrush fine and you’ll see such a big difference from a really good light.

I tried the right temperature bulbs in a couple of IKEA lamps and I tried a smaller desk lamp too, when I got the Neatfi and set it up I was like yes… this is it. They’re amazing. There’s a few brands but the only pricey one I’ve tried is Neatfi and it’s honestly so great.

I have this one https://amzn.eu/d/dFNqDI0 but there’s a newer one which is about £135, don’t know what the difference is really.

Oh that is an interesting middle ground between my cheap one and the edit in my post.

What size is yours, I hate the crappy Amazon options for multiple things, also what is CCT? There are two the same and the CCT one is an extra tenner.

New one is 2500 LUMENS vs 2200 and 30 vs 24w is all. If you think yours is bright enough then not missing out.

Ordering this one, it's the new version but cheaper than the one you linked! https://www.amazon.co.uk/2021Model-...ight/dp/B08RMJJBSS?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1

Edit: Oh hang on, it's 6500k which is a yellow light, that makes the paint look different doesn't it compared to the neutral one?

Im actually getting some stackable machined parts made for my own racks using aluminium L profile so you can fit whatever profile to the bottles you need, just order it in the length needed and job done!

I don't really know what this is sorry.

Last edited:
Soldato
Oh that is an interesting middle ground between my cheap one and the edit in my post.

What size is yours, I hate the crappy Amazon options for multiple things, also what is CCT? There are two the same and the CCT one is an extra tenner.

New one is 2500 LUMENS vs 2200 and 30 vs 24w is all. If you think yours is bright enough then not missing out.

Ordering this one, it's the new version but cheaper than the one you linked! https://www.amazon.co.uk/2021Model-...ight/dp/B08RMJJBSS?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1
I think CCT is where you can change the temperature. I wouldn’t worry about it if the single temperature is right which I’d presume it is. One less thing to fiddle with and worry about.

Mines the XL which is 51cm, the one you’re ordering is a bit wider still and the width is a massive part of why they’re good. Having two lamps was a pain and it felt like I had more shadows, not less!

Soldato
I think CCT is where you can change the temperature. I wouldn’t worry about it if the single temperature is right which I’d presume it is. One less thing to fiddle with and worry about.

Mines the XL which is 51cm, the one you’re ordering is a bit wider still and the width is a massive part of why they’re good. Having two lamps was a pain and it felt like I had more shadows, not less!

I did some googling and it seems (multiple sources) that temp between 5k - 6.5k is optimal so the one I linked falls in to that. Happy days. Plus if I don't love it, it's Amazon so you know.

Last edited:
Soldato
Netfi lamps are awsome!! Even my round magnifier one pumps out loads of light. Even though I’ve stop using it and just take my glasses off for small detail lol

I have artis opus brushes. I’m afraid to use them lol only recently started to use my W&N miniature!!

Time to jump out of bed and buy some paint before work!!

Last edited:
Associate
You rate these? I tried the army painter ones which imo were pretty awful, mostly use makeup brushes at the minute.

AO set is just far too expensive but could be tempted by these. Still a bit steep but I’m curious
Yes they are a good set of brushes for the price, like you I didnt really think the Army Painter ones were that good at all especially the small one in the pack.

Cheers All

Soldato
Netfi lamps are awsome!! Even my round magnifier one pumps out loads of light. Even though I’ve stop using it and just take my glasses off for small detail lol

I have artis opus brushes. I’m afraid to use them lol only recently started to use my W&N miniature!!

Time to jump out of bed and buy some paint before work!!

What ungodly hour do you start work??

Re dry brush. I saw a tutorial. I forget where and they were using the dry brush but not in traditional sense. They were using it to basecoat a tank because it's useful for that due to the large surface area

Last edited:
Soldato
What ungodly hour do you start work??

Re dry brush. I saw a tutorial. I forget where and they were using the dry brush but not in traditional sense. They were using it to basecoat a tank because it's useful for that due to the large surface area

my sleeping is ****** up. I start work at 7:30 and I only have travel 7mins by car.

Soldato
my sleeping is ****** up. I start work at 7:30 and I only have travel 7mins by car.

Oh ok similar to me actually, 7:45 and takes like 10-15, WFH most days though. I also don't sleep properly :D Always been the same.

Given up with the peg board idea, there are other things I'd rather get for the cost of all the 3d printed parts. I'll just hide my paints away somewhere, not like I use a lot at once.

New storage 'solution' ala Leviathan:

I will hide those out the way for now.

Last edited:
Soldato
Oh ok similar to me actually, 7:45 and takes like 10-15, WFH most days though. I also don't sleep properly :D Always been the same.

Given up with the peg board idea, there are other things I'd rather get for the cost of all the 3d printed parts. I'll just hide my paints away somewhere, not like I use a lot at once.

New storage 'solution' ala Leviathan:

I will hide those out the way for now.

I've got these recently, work really well!

Every now and again when you pull one out, another one around it comes out but it's so rare that it's not an annoyance. Just used the velcro strips that came with it as I couldn't be bothered to drill into the solid af brick wall behind them and they're holding up fine!

I think the guy does something similar for dropper bottles too.

Not super cheap, I got 10 for £75 but the space it's saved on my desk has been amazing, and having everything laid out just next to me at eye level is so much nicer than digging through boxes or drawers.

Soldato
The shop got back to about the silent compressors, they’ve finally received the 4 litre ones. Price has gone up a bit though.

£420! Ordered one… hope next door appreciate it!

I think it’s worth it though, I like airbrushing but I really feel stressed about annoying literally everyone around me, even during the day. Got a wife and a 3 year old and live in a small semi with no cavity wall.

These use fridge compressors so are as good as silent apart from pressure release valve so really hoping it’s as good as it sounds. Doesn’t sound. Whatever

Soldato
The shop got back to about the silent compressors, they’ve finally received the 4 litre ones. Price has gone up a bit though.

£420! Ordered one… hope next door appreciate it!

I think it’s worth it though, I like airbrushing but I really feel stressed about annoying literally everyone around me, even during the day. Got a wife and a 3 year old and live in a small semi with no cavity wall.

These use fridge compressors so are as good as silent apart from pressure release valve so really hoping it’s as good as it sounds. Doesn’t sound. Whatever
I always had my eye on a Bambi compressor but couldn’t justify the price at the time.

Pet Northerner
Don

I've got these recently, work really well!

Every now and again when you pull one out, another one around it comes out but it's so rare that it's not an annoyance. Just used the velcro strips that came with it as I couldn't be bothered to drill into the solid af brick wall behind them and they're holding up fine!

I think the guy does something similar for dropper bottles too.

Not super cheap, I got 10 for £75 but the space it's saved on my desk has been amazing, and having everything laid out just next to me at eye level is so much nicer than digging through boxes or drawers.
I wonder if I can find the stls for that

Back
Top Bottom