Tabletop Warhammer?

Soldato
Before you add your aggrelen earth, paint a dark colour all over your base, then coat all of the base with pva glue brushed on, once that's dry apply the aggrelen earth.

The pva will form a layer for the texture paint to stick to and once the cracks appear you will see the dark paint that you first applied ;)

Cheers All

They are all just about black still so guess I could just go for the PVA right away.

RE my Deathwing, Citadel paint app has for Bone: Zandri -> Sepia wash -> Ushabti highlights -> screaming skull highlights.

These are matched on my TTC stuff:

I think I can get the shading with the airbrush, but if I want that shading right at the bottom of the legs I will need to try and glaze it:

Like on the bottom of the right leg (as we see it). Or can that be achieved with teh airbrush somehow?

Associate
They are all just about black still so guess I could just go for the PVA right away.

RE my Deathwing, Citadel paint app has for Bone: Zandri -> Sepia wash -> Ushabti highlights -> screaming skull highlights.

These are matched on my TTC stuff:

I think I can get the shading with the airbrush, but if I want that shading right at the bottom of the legs I will need to try and glaze it:

Like on the bottom of the right leg (as we see it). Or can that be achieved with teh airbrush somehow?
I would use a seraphim sepia wash/shade to get that effect ;) then edge highlight over the top of it.

Or you could mix your own glaze using Lahmian Medium and a brown contrast paint or aggrax earthshade mix, at a guess a 4 part medium to 1 part brown.

Last edited:
Soldato
I would use a seraphim sepia wash/shade to get that effect ;) then edge highlight over the top of it.

Or you could mix your own glaze using Lahmian Medium and a brown contrast paint or aggrax earthshade mix, at a guess a 4 part medium to 1 part brown.

That example is actually quite flat because it looks the same shade all over the leg, I'd be aiming for the dark/light zenethil effect I guess.

Think I need to just crack on and buy the magnification thingy, trying to paint those eye lenses made me go cross eyed trying to focus.
All seem to be the same but rebranded.
I considered a paint shaker after spending 5m trying to get my apothecary white to mix nicely but I'd be looking at a circa £30 one not a fancy £100.
Oh and a 000 brush and a 0,1 which have much shorter tips. I've managed to cool off on the more paint side of things at least for now. Especially as I need so few for what I'm doing currently.

I painted a base khorne red, and am just waiting for the PVA to dry, I'll post result after.

Associate
That example is actually quite flat because it looks the same shade all over the leg, I'd be aiming for the dark/light zenethil effect I guess.

Think I need to just crack on and buy the magnification thingy, trying to paint those eye lenses made me go cross eyed trying to focus.
All seem to be the same but rebranded.
I considered a paint shaker after spending 5m trying to get my apothecary white to mix nicely but I'd be looking at a circa £30 one not a fancy £100.
Oh and a 000 brush and a 0,1 which have much shorter tips. I've managed to cool off on the more paint side of things at least for now. Especially as I need so few for what I'm doing currently.

I painted a base khorne red, and am just waiting for the PVA to dry, I'll post result after.
Looking forward to seeing the results :)

I always put a small ball bearing in my pots of Citadel paints to help with the mixing after a good shake, the Army Painter speedpaint metallics already had them in the dropper bottles.

These are what I am using on my second tub of them now https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09Q8FCXSF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Oh and started building Be'lakor The Dark Master last night, got the base all assembled.

Last edited:
Soldato
Looking forward to seeing the results :)

I always put a small ball bearing in my pots of Citadel paints to help with the mixing after a good shake, the Army Painter speedpaint metallics already had them in the dropper bottles.

These are what I am using on my second tub of them now https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09Q8FCXSF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yeah I'm not intending on replacing my citadel paints when they go, well, contrasts yes which apothecary is but bbs are cheap. Most my other paints have them, I'm pretty sure the Vallejo Metal Colour ones have 2 in them.
Droppers are far better for multiple reasons but primarily saving space.

Think I'll grab a bag of ba..agitators for the notorious paints I have. Ulthuan Grey being one.
Tbh I'm not sure why I don't just use the closest colour from TTC, but guess I want to use them considering I paid for them.

Last edited:
Soldato
Probably didn't put the paint on thick enough for a good crackle. Quite like that colour though.

Didn't do a good decal but that's ok, not in the same mindset as before so mistakes are not a trauma. Ignore sword, that was me failing some blending practice. Will be changing it.
The decal I tried from chapter customer was awful, the membrane was absolutely massive compared to gw one. So I'll have to try cut them really close.

Chapter one is gw, the clan will be going on the shoulder.

Last edited:
Soldato
@Noxia that decal on the leg can still be seen to with the decal solvent. Brush some on and just push it flat with the end of a cotton bud, like the actual end of it. Poke poke poke and just press it, take your time, those creases will honestly disappear.

They look good, base looks good too, wash and a drybrush and that base will look spot on for a simple base. No shame in it!

Associate
Probably didn't put the paint on thick enough for a good crackle. Quite like that colour though.

Didn't do a good decal but that's ok, not in the same mindset as before so mistakes are not a trauma. Ignore sword, that was me failing some blending practice. Will be changing it.
The decal I tried from chapter customer was awful, the membrane was absolutely massive compared to gw one. So I'll have to try cut them really close.

Chapter one is gw, the clan will be going on the shoulder.

The cracked finish looks great to me :)

Soldato
@Noxia that decal on the leg can still be seen to with the decal solvent. Brush some on and just push it flat with the end of a cotton bud, like the actual end of it. Poke poke poke and just press it, take your time, those creases will honestly disappear.

They look good, base looks good too, wash and a drybrush and that base will look spot on for a simple base. No shame in it!

I left the decal fix on it overnight and this morning it had completely settled and uncreased itself :) no idea how but I'm not complaining.

Last edited:
Associate
Both look really great, I found black ones so hard to do, but you've nailed them. Really subtle effects from your zenathol and the edge highlights look really sweet. They really look like black painted metal to me, both consistent and clearly part of the same patrol.

Really nice crackling on the Base, I used the same paint but mine all have a mud effect instead as I applied lots of wash on top that would fill in the cracks. I found that I had to seal in the cracked texture with matt varnish first, as sometimes large flakes of the cracked paint can chip off during a wash. I'd then varnish over the wash as well to seal it all in before putting grass on.

Angrax earthshade goes great as a wash over that agrellian earth, fills in the cracks really well, but does make it look more of a cracked mud effect as per my 20 marines display.

Decal is really well placed, as as you mention the crinkles have righted themselves as well. Even just painting over some more varnish can also help flatten a decal. Really nice detail work on the eyes and lenses as well.

What a great example of not giving up and keeping at it your painting journey has been. Also proof that the final details are what brings it all together.

Really great job, going to look great as display or on the table for playing.

Soldato
@PC777 Kind words thank you. I hope to have the terminators done at least this weekend. I go through phases of motivation for it. Not looking forward to the intercessors but there are fewer details so should balance out.

Associate
Had to go to my local hobby store this morning to drop off some terrain that I laser cut from MDF for them.

I picked up a Ballistus Dreadnaught on my way out, not built or painted one before but what the hell more plastic to add to the pile ;)

Cant see the white checkerboard board decal for the left leg on the sheet or do you hand paint them on ?

Cheers All

Soldato
Those with the Cult of paint infinity.

Which model is it for parts Infinity or CRplus.

The barcode says Infinity ALplus? Need some needle seals!! Also fancy one of those adjustable air valve

Last edited:
Soldato
Those with the Cult of paint infinity.

Which model is it for parts Infinity or CRplus.

The barcode says Infinity ALplus? Need some needle seals!! Also fancy one of those adjustable air valve

I believe all Infinity seals etc are the same, in fact almost all the seals are the same throughout the range except the Colani. The CoP infinity is pretty much an Infinity ALplus. I think you need three for them. I think it's 123450

Soldato
I believe all Infinity seals etc are the same, in fact almost all the seals are the same throughout the range except the Colani. The CoP infinity is pretty much an Infinity ALplus. I think you need three for them. I think it's 123450
It’s just I bought the complete seal kit for infinity and it seems to have two fatter needle seals and the ones in it is 3 smaller ones.
Looks to me like the Infinity CR plus is just triple chrome?

Soldato
Had to go to my local hobby store this morning to drop off some terrain that I laser cut from MDF for them.

I picked up a Ballistus Dreadnaught on my way out, not built or painted one before but what the hell more plastic to add to the pile ;)

Cant see the white checkerboard board decal for the left leg on the sheet or do you hand paint them on ?

Cheers All

You can of course paint it, but I've also seen generic checkboard decals on various sites.

Granted I am not really into the lore a huge amount yet, but the dark angel seem really boring. It's like their whole schtick is: some of our people were traitors and we try and hide it.

Associate
You can of course paint it, but I've also seen generic checkboard decals on various sites.

Granted I am not really into the lore a huge amount yet, but the dark angel seem really boring. It's like their whole schtick is: some of our people were traitors and we try and hide it.
I was going to go down the Ultramarines route paint wise, I have a few Space Marines to paint in the same style ;)

Soldato
It’s just I bought the complete seal kit for infinity and it seems to have two fatter needle seals and the ones in it is 3 smaller ones.
Looks to me like the Infinity CR plus is just triple chrome?

I think the seals are the same but you need three for the ALplus and CRplus models, here’s the link where it said there’s three (I haven’t taken that bit of my infinity apart yet).

Oh here we go here’s the triple seal upgrade kit which confirms it’s just three of the same seal, same number.

Soldato
@PardonTheWait.
Cheers was getting paint running back to the trigger. Took it apart and the seals are in bad shape. I guess I’ve been a little too heavy handed while cleaning.

Been playing around with my Ultra and you can really notice the weight difference between the two brushes. I have the Ultra set up with 0.4 needle and the 0.2 in the infinity.

On the infinity I picked up the 3ml cup and find it far better than the 5ml. Might pick up the 5ml cup for the ultra as I’m using it as my primer, enamels and varnish brush.

It’s amazing how user friendly these brushes are even the older Ultra.

Caporegime
2k battle tonight. My marines vs tau.
Bit of a bloodbath for the tau who I pretty much tabled by turn 3. Frustratingly the tau player forgot a lot of their unit abilities which might have made the game a bit more competitive. I forgot a couple of things as well where units give multiple buffs.
I lost a couple of marines and my repulsor executioner. Apart from that my army was completely unscathed (also due in part to a tech marine doing a couple of cracking repair jobs).
Played as ironstorm and the tech marine enhancement was very useful again, as was the chapter tactic. Insane that eldar get an even better version of it!

Back
Top Bottom