Tabletop Warhammer?

Soldato
Heh?

How are you getting through it, empty a bottle into a airtight container, drop parts in and seal it up for an hour, just keep re-using it until it completely evaporates. A bottle or jug should last months if not years :D

As long as you only put the metalic on "thin" and in 1 coat the black primer will dull it slightly, but nuln oil is a sure fire way to tone it down. The good thing with nuln is you can add multiple passes until you get the look you are after.

Well it turned green, I couldn't see what was in the tub lol. It would still have worked I'm just weird :)

Noted on the other bit, I really need to finish some models to a standard I am content with because I'll never be 'happy'. The white on the Iron Hands is stressing me out already.

Soldato
Noted on the other bit, I really need to finish some models to a standard I am content with because I'll never be 'happy'. The white on the Iron Hands is stressing me out already.

If you want my opinion you just need to decide, commit, and finish some “bad” looking models. Don’t strip them, don’t change your mind and start again, just paint them, base them, then paint more. Let your early models be “badly painted”.

The first five might not look great, the next five will look better, and so on and so on until there’s like 25 of them - and then guess what, they’ll look sick, for two reasons - the later ones will be much better than the early ones, but the main thing is there’ll be 25 of them, same army, same scheme, same bases. They’ll look great.

I painted a massive chunk of a Necron army a little while ago and they look absolutely sick imo.

I didn’t spend much time on them, and they don’t hold up all that well when you eyeball them up close, but there’s like 60 models, all painted the same way on nice bases and they look so great PURELY for that reason.

Finishing models and finishing units does so much for your confidence and your ability and can’t be underestimated. Just getting reps in and having a sense of achievement. I am an absolute nightmare for not finishing projects but I’m getting a lot better.

Also I know I’m blathering on but minis always look bad for a significant portion of the actual painting process, just push through it. Trust the process.

Soldato
Basing can instantly up a model. Never been happy with mine. Once I get the lasted batch of models repainted going to make resin ice bases with plenty of blue to make them pop

Soldato
Ugh, just realised GW has done a GW. The Deathwing Knight squad included in the Deathwing Assault box is a half strength squad, unless it's changing, the squads are 5/10 man in the current Index rules.

They've included a full 10 man Terminator squad (or 2x 5 half strength) would it really have killed them to price the box slightly higher and include a full strength squad? I am just waiting for them to do this with the Companions also.

The ONLY good thing about this, is the 2 upgrade sprues in that Deathwing Assault box will cover my needs for both of my 10 man termy squads (Power Sword for the Sergeant, Plasma Cannon for the Squad, and then I'll either do both squads with Assault Cannon, or 1 Squad with Assault Cannon, 1 Squad with Cyclone Missile Launcher - leaning this way as it sounds like the Assault Cannon is dependable as hell, but the Cyclone Missile Launcher is invaluable against vehicles and for longer range). Plasma is a MUST for both squads as it fits my D.Angels and aesthetic concept for the army which is essentially a Heavy, Advanced equipped Knight force, transposed to 40K, the more advanced weapons/equipment, swords and shields the better!)

The frustration is, these guys (DwK) may not be available individually boxed until 2-3 months later, so I'm no doubt going to end up on eBay/Facebook trying to find someone hacking the box apart, just to get the other 5 in a decent timeframe as my Dark Angels army is all but complete as far as my original concept went (its about 4000 points with some flexibility incorporated on units taken)...

I mean, maybe it's me being OCD, but given they've taken away per individual per model points costs now, I'd at least rather field a full squad, not a half size one; same way I hate 5 man Intercessor squads.

Last edited:
Soldato
Basing I find annoying, because if I do it with the model glues on already then there is a chance I'll mess up the model, and if I do it before, how do you make the model stick, you'd have to know exactly how big the feet were.

Soldato
I'm a big fan of Warhipster's Contrast+ method, strikes a good balance between quality and speed plus he also saved me nearly buying the Speedpaint 2.0 stuff after seeing the reactivation issues and 2h+ dry time, ironic name lol.

PS: Realising it's a complete waste of money, anyone got one of those cheaper paint shakers like the £30 one on Amazon? I had been shaking a pot of apothecary white for about 5 minutes earlier which gave me the idea

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm a big fan of Warhipster's Contrast+ method, strikes a good balance between quality and speed plus he also saved me nearly buying the Speedpaint 2.0 stuff after seeing the reactivation issues and 2h+ dry time, ironic name lol.

I thought Speedpaint 2.0 had fixed the reactivation issue.

Though like many things on the internet, having used the original Speedpaint range, I think it was a little bit overblown anyway.

Be interested to see a video where he's having issues with the 2.0 and how bad it appears

Soldato
I thought Speedpaint 2.0 had fixed the reactivation issue.

Though like many things on the internet, having used the original Speedpaint range, I think it was a little bit overblown anyway.

Be interested to see a video where he's having issues with the 2.0 and how bad it appears

It is the 2.0 ones. I think even if I could overlook the reactivation, 2 hours for speedpaint is just ridiculous.

Soldato

It is the 2.0 ones. I think even if I could overlook the reactivation, 2 hours for speedpaint is just ridiculous.

Watched as far as him applying the Beowulf Blue and Grim Black, which he calls Speedpaint 2.0 but the bottle doesn't have the 2.0 logo on it (which I thought they all had), so a bit confusing as to whether he's actually using the 2.0 paints or not - the reactivation he's had there is absolutely how the 1.0 paints behaved.

The drying time is a non issue really for me, speedpaints are a batch painting tool for doing groups of miniatures, so by the time you go back to the first mini in a unit, I find they've dried enough.

Soldato
Yeah circumstantial of course.

Thought I'd show some of my worst stuff I've ever done just because. So this was me trying to use two green contrast paints that warhipster made look really easy. Almost like he was using something else entirely.

The black thing is a work in progress of the iron hand scheme. It's base coated metallic and then it has a black templar contrast. Got to do some bright edge highlights and then do a weird blue wash thing and it should look like a cold blue metallic apparently quite like it how it is to be honest, especially with the contrast with the white weapons.
I'm also quite a big fan of the iron Hands, partly because they seem quite unpopular and partly because they are just a pretty depressed emotionless Clan who just like to destroy things.

I'm undecided if I will continue to spray them, lead belcher or do them grey and then basecoat them with a darker metallic base to start with because it makes some things like the crux terminatus etc really easy but makes a few other parts a bit of a pain.

Last edited:
Associate

My first ever Space Marine finished off today.

Its for a community project at my local model/games store, the guy who owns the shop gave me the Space Marine to paint up any way that I liked.

Really pleased with it, mainly done in Citadel contrast paints.

Cheers All
This was painted using the 2 shades of green Citadel contrast paint from Warhipsters Salamander video.

Cheers All

Last edited:
Soldato
Contrast has its uses but marines apart from 1 or two factions is worse case usage. Marines and vehicles are a nightmare. So many large flat surfaces.

Speedpaint/contrast/express excel at organic materials.

I love warhipsters videos but for some the schemes you might as well just start off with a solid base as he goes back over flat surfaces with normal paint anyhow.

Soldato
I think the best thing I’ve learned over the few years is “Eavy Metal” is a lie

That was brought to my attention from Ninjon. Base layer, wash, highlight is ********. Yes it gets you nice results but that ain’t box art. Watch a few Infeno Brush videos to see the amount of work that an Eavy metal painter has to do.

Reactions: rjk
Soldato
Guys Armypainter NDA must be lifted. Guess I be selling the bulk of my GW paint or giving them to my daughters.

It’s looks like Army painter have delivered. I’m expecting my YouTube to be flooded with reviews now :D

It would be amazing if they offered the 6 colours in each hue as a set. Warm reds get all the warm reds in one box.

Soldato
Biggest thing I keep forgetting is that when playing, people really don't give a **** or can see how well painted things are lol.

Is that Army Painter jumping on the triad bandwagon like my two thin coat racks? I have their pallet but something about that brand I just find unappealing compared to the others. Last thing I need is any paints though, I probably need twentyish and I have 10* that nearly lol. Actually got an AP spray too which sprays at a pathetically low pressure compared to colour forge ones.
Better off giving them to FLGS for their open day events.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not at all. Armypainter been doing triads since the Warpaint line.

The main selling point of this new line is that the paints are extremely heavy in pigments.

Leading to better coverage with less coats. Mention yellow to any painter and they will cry their eyes out hah. No zenthal, no pink and purple undercoats. Just straight over black primer with yellow. That’s witchcraft!!

Their metallic's are using the more expensive flakes. Not micro flakes.

The new naming system is there just to help painters. Find paints in the similar hue and colour range.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom