*** Tado Mini Review ***

Associate
For all the Tado users and to-be users, sorry to change subject but am desperate for help -

We bought Tado. I downloaded the app from Google Play Store onto my Android phone. It use Google map location service to track my movement ie. I am in or out of the house. Then one day I replaced Google Map with another location service, subsequently I deleted all the Google related apps on my phone. It turned out Tado could no longer track my location with the other map service I am using, although my GPS location service is turned on. So I thought I would start fresh by deleting the Tado app, then download it from somewhere else. As it turned out: there is nowhere else besides Google Play store (for Android phone) although Google is supposed to be a competitor (Nest). Is a joke??!! Tado said they are not doing anything about it and that my data will only be stored in Munich, not with Google. So my question is, is this true? When I first downloaded Tado, the location service automatically hooked up with Google Map. I could trace my own movement back via the Google Map on my phone. Is it accurate for Tado to say that my location data will not be stored at Google?

Soldato
Can anyone advise how long the learning phase is. I installed yesterday and it seems to be working well but for a temperature overshoot when in Home Mode. Set temp for 19 degrees but its reaching 21 and beyond. Am trying to resit the temptation to tinker but its a bit hot in here!!

Soldato
Can anyone advise how long the learning phase is. I installed yesterday and it seems to be working well but for a temperature overshoot when in Home Mode. Set temp for 19 degrees but its reaching 21 and beyond. Am trying to resit the temptation to tinker but its a bit hot in here!!

Are you leaving the temperature sensor where it is? or moving it around a lot? it's best to leave it where it is as long as it's not getting direct sunlight or heat etc.

it should be adjusting for an overshoot as long as you're keeping the sensor where it is - also do you have the bias set to efficient, or comfortable (settings) ? mine used to be in the middle but moved it to eco which works fine.

Soldato
Are you leaving the temperature sensor where it is? or moving it around a lot? it's best to leave it where it is as long as it's not getting direct sunlight or heat etc.

it should be adjusting for an overshoot as long as you're keeping the sensor where it is - also do you have the bias set to efficient, or comfortable (settings) ? mine used to be in the middle but moved it to eco which works fine.

The unit is in the hall where the old thermostat was. How do you change the comfort setting? via the unit itself - can't see anyting on the web portal or app Its been so warm today that the heating hasn't kicked in.

Associate
I thought I'd bump this thread, as this seems to be the primary TADO discussion.

I am nearing the end of 12 months with Tado, and considering whether to continue to rent it, buy it outright or return it and wondered what other people were considering doing?

I've been told it's ~£60 for another 12 months rental (£4.99 month), or £160 to buy outright which seems a little steep considering you can buy the complete V1 unit from Maplin at the moment for £130.

I've also been having some radio connectivity problems recently, which has resulted in them having to dispatch me out some new hardware, which worries me somewhat with the buy option, given I now have the hassle of having to replace all the parts.

I'm tempted to move to a self-install Hive 2 for £179.

Cheers

Associate
Tado V2 made the clever stuff go into the Thermostat and gave it a UI. V1 is actually better for me as It doesn't need a separate extension kit to replace the programmer. Both work in the same way with geolocation

I'm not sure I can be bothered to go through the whole uninstallation process again though, I seem to have lost all my notes/photos I took of where the cables were before with the existing thermostat and programmer so would have to work it all out again!

Associate
OP
I spoke online to one of their reps yesterday and had good news that they are releasing a dual zone system in October. Will be getting one of them when they are released

From what was said it appears that the dual zone functionality will cone via an update to the software so existing users who gave a dual zone heating setup but are only running with one Tado thermostat will be able to add another thermostat to their system

I offered my services to beta test the system and the nice lady said she would keep me in mind. Linked her to this thread too......result if they go for it but will be getting it any how

No news on pricing options as yet but feel I will stump up and buy it out right this time as only went for the rental as was renting in previous house

Soldato
I spoke online to one of their reps yesterday and had good news that they are releasing a dual zone system in October. Will be getting one of them when they are released

From what was said it appears that the dual zone functionality will cone via an update to the software so existing users who gave a dual zone heating setup but are only running with one Tado thermostat will be able to add another thermostat to their system

I offered my services to beta test the system and the nice lady said she would keep me in mind. Linked her to this thread too......result if they go for it but will be getting it any how

No news on pricing options as yet but feel I will stump up and buy it out right this time as only went for the rental as was renting in previous house

Their support sounds great but I got told the same thing for a September 2014 release date...

Associate
I just bit the bullet and went for the current rent Tado offer....hoping install goes well....not sure how long delivery will be but I will put install photos up if anyone is interested....

Associate
£179 how much per valve? Most people will have ~10 radiators. I cant see the cost savings matching up even over 5 years, beyond that I would be expecting newer/better tech.

edit: as thenewoc pointed out we dont have a price for the radiator thermostats yet

Last edited:
Soldato
Surely most people would just turn off the valves in unused rooms anyway, and bump them up when they have guests or similar. That's almost as much per valve as the unit itself!

Soldato
£179 per valve? Most people will have ~10 radiators. I cant see the cost savings matching up even over 5 years, beyond that I would be expecting newer/better tech.

That's the smart thermostat which I guess is just like monitoring a different zone in the same way the primary one does but either can trigger the heating to come on for the whole home. No price as yet on the radiator valve thermostats but would hope they'd be nearer to £50 per unit for it to be credible. They're playing catch up too, to the Honeywell Evo which has always had the radiator thermostats.

This is also worth keeping an eye on as it has the potential to be a source for news on future compatible valves depending on whether systems such as Tado build in recognition of open standards.

http://opentrv.org.uk/

Last edited:
Associate
My bad on the price. I have edited my post.

Still going to have to be very competitively priced to make it worth it when people are dealing with so many radiators.

Back
Top Bottom