Tearing down statues

Soldato
Not only stupid, but stupid and illiterate. Also, it's a bit strange how he went straight for Ariel's knob.

TzWvXve.jpg

The statue is by Eric Gill who had incest relationships with his sisters, abused his daughters and the family dog.

It's outside the BBC.

If there is a case for direct action against a statue then this is it. Though to be consistant to my principle we'd have to have a public vote before removing it.

Permabanned
Only the BBC could have chosen such a sculptor <LOL> Maybe they'll remove it and let hurfdurf make them a new one (God help us all....) ;)

So both the artist and the subject are fair game now? Won't be much left to see in our cities soon...

Soldato
Only the BBC could have chosen such a sculptor <LOL> Maybe they'll remove it and let hurfdurf make them a new one (God help us all....) ;)

So both the artist and the subject are fair game now? Won't be much left to see in our cities soon...
Yes its a shame its chock a block with statues of racist, slave traders and pedos.

Id like to say I dont understand the outrage in the protection of racists and pedos but this forum has dulled my understanding of the general public. Only last year Tommy robinson was a hero for being the only person to talk about muslim rape gangs. yet this guy takes a hammer to a statue by a sex offender of a naked boy and nothing.

Man of Honour
The statue is by Eric Gill who had incest relationships with his sisters, abused his daughters and the family dog.

It's outside the BBC.

If there is a case for direct action against a statue then this is it. Though to be consistant to my principle we'd have to have a public vote before removing it.

I take it that your public vote for direct action against the statue will be aimed at the BBC, (who’ve already declined to remove or replace the work), and not an exhortation to the likes of the four cretins who should be languishing in HMP Bristol at Horfield for their part in the criminal damage of the statue of Colston, and don’t waste anyone’s time declaring me to be a slaver lover, I abhor slavery as much as anyone, but it doesn’t sit right with me when four people admit damaging the statue, only for a jury of intellectual pygmies to find them not guilty.

Soldato
The guy was dead before they knew what he'd done. It became public after his death with the publishing of his diaries or memoirs. Art doesn't cease to be art just because the artist was a monster. Plainly he wouldn't have got the work had it been known beforehand but I don't see why such influential modernist art should be destroyed because we retrospectively find out something awful about the artist. It's not like he is benefitting.

Crap most renaissance art was probably paid for by despots and monsters, you go down this road and where do you stop? Accept the past for what it was, it's not like in this case the art itself was perpetuating a hateful message.

Soldato
The guy was dead before they knew what he'd done. It became public with the publishing of his diaries or memoirs. Art doesn't cease to be art just because the artist was a monster. Plainly he wouldn't have got the work had it been known beforehand but I don't see why such influential modernist art should be destroyed because we retrospectively find out something awful about the artist. It's not like he is benefitting.

Crap most renaissance art was probably paid for by despots and monsters, you go down this road and where do you stop? Accept the past for what it was, it's not like in this case the art itself was perpetuating a hateful message.
Silly post is silly.

Soldato
Silly post is silly.
I suggest that you have a list of fruit from the poison tree than that must also be removed then? And where does it stop, will you only be happy with some sort of Khmer Rouge or Maoist Cultural Revolution? It seems like everything you dislike aesthetically must go and if there is any doubt we can just ask the ubermensch to enlighten us on what further cultural vandalism is needed to restore purity.

Permabanned
Yes its a shame its chock a block with statues of racist, slave traders and pedos.

Id like to say I dont understand the outrage in the protection of racists and pedos but this forum has dulled my understanding of the general public. Only last year Tommy robinson was a hero for being the only person to talk about muslim rape gangs. yet this guy takes a hammer to a statue by a sex offender of a naked boy and nothing.

Maybe because Eric Gill died in 1940 and the rape gangs you are so sensitive about are alive and well and plying young girls with drink and drugs still? Outside of the perpetually outraged the general public have more pressing concerns at the moment than someone most have never heard of having been making dosh in the global slave trade, way back when.

Soldato
I suggest that you have a list of fruit from the poison tree than that must also be removed then? And where does it stop, will you only be happy with some sort of Khmer Rouge or Maoist Cultural Revolution? It seems like everything you dislike aesthetically must go and if there is any doubt we can just ask the ubermensch to enlighten us on what further cultural vandalism is needed to restore purity.
Again silly post is silly. Racists, slave traders and sex criminals. Remember we are only just now pardoning gays for the crime of being gay. Seriously get a grip. That is the history you lot are trying to defend.
Maybe because Eric Gill died in 1940 and the rape gangs you are so sensitive about are alive and well and plying young girls with drink and drugs still? Outside of the perpetually outraged the general public have more pressing concerns at the moment than someone most have never heard of having been making dosh in the global slave trade, way back when.
Then WTF are you using so much energy in defending statues of slave traders/rapist/racist? There are more important things for you to worry about. Im gong to be honest and say I know why you dont care about slave traders or racists. But sex offenders? Really?

Soldato

The statue outside the BBC isn't about him its simply a statue carved by him unlike Colston. What if a car assembly worker turns out to be a paedo does that mean that every car he helped assemble needs to be destroyed? Its getting absurd.

Then WTF are you using so much energy in defending statues of slave traders/rapist/racist? There are more important things for you to worry about. Im gong to be honest and say I know why you dont care about slave traders or racists. But sex offenders? Really?

I suggest you get a grip yourself.

Soldato
What if a car assembly worker turns out to be a paedo does that mean that every car he helped assemble needs to be destroyed? Its getting absurd.

I suggest you get a grip yourself.
Get a grip!

The thing that is really absurd is you mentioning a factory worker and then saying its getting absurd. Yes if that was to happen that would be absurb.

Last edited:
Soldato
These threads are very simular to the one about the thug that beat up Owen Jones that had all the nazi memorabilia in his bedroom but he wasnt a racist just a collector or the one about the guy with white supremacy tattooos just being a guy that loved his dead dad, even though his dad was still alive. Probably the same people supporting them that have now got their knickers in a twist about this.

Soldato
Yorkshire cricket was that an edifice, too, that needed pulling down -
isolated events have been expanded in the new report to endemic racism, Rafiq on r4 this morning celebrating the lynching
At our oral evidence session, we were convinced by Azeem Rafiq’s moving evidence of how he had been subject to racial discrimination and his conviction that this was not simply a personal issue but an endemic problem across the whole of cricket. We had concerns about the lack of coordinated action between Yorkshire County Cricket Club and the England and Wales Cricket Board.

Soldato
These threads are very simular to the one about the thug that beat up Owen Jones that had all the nazi memorabilia in his bedroom but he wasnt a racist just a collector or the one about the guy with white supremacy tattooos just being a guy that loved his dead dad, even though his dad was still alive. Probably the same people supporting them that have now got their knickers in a twist about this.

Quite. Its the same posters everytime.

Soldato
The guy was dead before they knew what he'd done. It became public after his death with the publishing of his diaries or memoirs. Art doesn't cease to be art just because the artist was a monster. Plainly he wouldn't have got the work had it been known beforehand but I don't see why such influential modernist art should be destroyed because we retrospectively find out something awful about the artist. It's not like he is benefitting.

King David brutally oppressed the philistines, destroy Michelangelo's David!

#iconoclasmnow

Soldato
When people say don't pull these down/damaged/etc, I don't see people defending the past but instead want to preserve it so that it isn't hidden away. The problem with that though is getting everyone educated about said monuments to history so that they can be learned from, understood (in the context of their time) and vowed never to allow again.

Tbh, I don't want to be reminded of slavery and wouldn't mind it all being removed, but then how would future generations learn? Is it not healthy to know how we got here (figuratively and culturally), despicable as it is?

Soldato
Yorkshire cricket was that an edifice, too, that needed pulling down -
isolated events have been expanded in the new report to endemic racism, Rafiq on r4 this morning celebrating the lynching
Im not sure of your point as you hadnt put a question mark I assume its a statement. Its not even in the same ballpark as anything mention apart from those defending the statues.

People need to undertsand there is a massive difference between statues/objects of/from/about racists/paedos/slave traders and everything else not related to racists etc. What you are saying is as insanse as saying a racist went into a chip shop lets close it down.

Soldato
well people complain about pyschological harm/affront from the statue, similarly some aggressions they perceive they have received
- lack of empathy from team mates on a miss carriage, or, daily, having to see the statue ? there is a subjective aspect to both.

Back
Top Bottom