*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
That's why I'm not part of the "omg straps are for pansies" brigade.
I'll use DOH as much as I can (not much) and mixed grip up to 170-180, anything above I'd rather use straps than tear my bicep.

Soldato
Week 1 done!

5m Warmup on treadmill

3 x 5 25 kg squat
3 x 5 22.5 kg bench
3 x 5 32.5 kg barbell row

15 mins cycling
5 min row
Stretch

All ok so far - Squat was ok, trying to focus on form at the moment, legs still a bit sore from starting back at the gym overall
Bench was fine - no really struggle there
Row - was ok - 3rd set was feeling it a little

All heading in the right direction!

Man of Honour
Perhaps hyper extending, pulling your shoulders back too far so that it's stretching your bicep with 130+kg being dragged up?
Kind of the opposite, strangely enough. The problem stems from unhealthy internally rotated shoulders, which causes a forward shoulder fault under certain stresses. This increases the tension through the entire anterior shoulder/bicep system, and sometimes the distal (furthest away from torso) tendons give way.
That's my powerlifting club :D

Never met that particular guy, but he's a bit of a legend. There's a video of him strapped up after this and still pulling something big to win overall.

edit: I've just realised, I should be very close to 3xbw in a couple of weeks :cool:

Last edited:
Associate
LOL was just shaking my shake up and the lid exploded off.... nothing like milk and bits of undissolved protein and oats in the face/hair.

half my afternoon shake has leaked into my gym bag. I tryed to scoop as much powder as a could back into the shaker. It's probably got all sorts of crap in it now!

Associate
Ha, that deadlift guy is competing at oxbridge varsity 2 years ago. This years is on Sunday at Oxford university sport centre on Iffley road if anyone fancies watching. 9:30am weigh in :).

There are a fair amount of things that you can do to avoid a tear, keeping a healthy bicep for one so not avoiding bicep work.

Another one is form based, so a lot of time people will start the movement with their arms bent. Although it sounds obvious your arms need to be completely straight when you add tension. As long as these things have attention paid to them you will most likely be fine :D.

LOL was just shaking my shake up and the lid exploded off.... nothing like milk and bits of undissolved protein and oats in the face/hair.

Lol, I did that the other week, luckily it missed me and went all over the kitchen :p. It's surprising how hard it was to clean up.

Soldato

Sounds like you're taking extreme measures........

.........to prepare for your..........

.............Head & Shoulders routine..........

YEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAHHHH

Associate
I respect the effort but I'm not going to lie I'm disappointed in the outcome :rolleyes::D:eek:

Dom, I didn't actually know it was varsity weekend, I look forward to a mediocre performance report...

Will do!

I was going to go and train but it could be a little interesting considering they are moving everything into the rugby sevens gym in the courts :/.

I think the bench is the only impressive lift this year, Jamie was busting several paused singles at 150kg with ease the other week :eek:

Last edited:

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
:p
a different kind of beast then!

Really looking forward to testing my maxes next week. If I want to compete at some point what's the best way to get in? I want a 600kg total before I'd compete though, does that seem silly?

Associate
Not that I can remember.

Here is the video from West mids a few weeks ago but it doesn't have everyone in and some of them aren't competing. See if you recognize anyone :)

Watching that back I'm shocked at how short the pauses are on bench!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom