Poll: ***The all new gymrats thread***

Do we archive this thread and start a new one for 2010?

• Yeah good idea.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Nah I'm happy with this one.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I'm usually doing a 5x5 routine which suits me fine :D
Tried upping the weight a little every week but starting to struggle on a few exercises to even add 2.5kg/5kg :(

Usually I then increase the number of reps at the weight I can't get past and within a week or two, I can just about squeeze out 5x5 at a very slightly higher weight
Sounds like you're going off the plan? Should you increment every workout and then deload 10% after 3 failed attempts?

Im finding the same....really strugling at times and having to force food down with plenty of water.

Feel like Im always eating...although to be fare I probably am...cant keep my hands of my nuts. Owww errr misses!

And defo know what you mean about the oats aswell!!!

-G
Haha :D

What are your physical stats? BW/Height/BF?

I'm not trying to bulk as much as you guys, but I certainly find that if I am "always full" it simply means I am eating too much for what I am doing in the gym. So by that logic, do more or eat less. Preferably the former :p
Being on the 5x5, I'm getting to the point I can't really do much more than 3xweek. The training is fine. I know what my problem is, I got so used to dropping weight it's psychologically embedded within me. When your psyche is used to eating an 'adequate' amount you find that you do eat very small portions in comparison.

After I finish AGVT I'll hit the 5x5 for a few a bit.
How are you finding AGVT?

Soldato
Sounds like you're going off the plan? Should you increment every workout and then deload 10% after 3 failed attempts?

It's my own plan :p Not one that was designed by anyone else although just about every routine you can think of would be similar to someone elses in some way or another.

I just try to increase the weight every week or two and if I can't do that then I up the reps or substitute for another exercise for a couple of weeks and then return.

Associate
Haha :D

What are your physical stats? BW/Height/BF?

QUOTE]

3 and half weeks in and I am up from 12st 9 to, 13st. Im 6' 2" and no idea about bf, but its not as low as maybe I could have gone down too before bulking up. But I can get away with a few extra pounds because Im tall.

Decided that I was quite happy with how I was looking in the mirror anyway and was bored of loosing weight (been 4 months)and am quite keen to crack on and get bulking.

Also wanted to get an idea of where my maintenance and gaining levels are as I think I was cutting calories too far than I needed to when I was cutting.

So its more a kind of test run to try understand my body a bit better.

Aim to put on a stone/stone and a half (of weight, not lean muscle) and then ill cut and try get down as far as I can....then all being well, can do a much longer bulk the second time around.

-G

Associate
I would.. anterior and lateral delts get a pummelling on chest day :)

Shoulders get worked during any upper body session though, it can't be avoided :)

I always do back and shoulders in the same session. When i've hammered back, i'm always still fresh for some heavy shoulder pressing. Back, traps and shoulders really do tie in nicely together. Works well for me anyway.

Soldato
Set my squat PB today, did 140 :)

Felt good, until I tried walking out of the gym, then it felt bad, very bad

Congrats on the PB!

Just finished my third week of GVT. Going well! Relatively quick and knackering workouts which is good. Have freed up 2 nights a week and have made some good gains so far.

These are mostly aesthetic as I think/it looks like all the volume is burning extra calories so my b/f is dropping slightly and mass is being gained but my weight hasnt really moved. Probaly a bit early to be expecting anything on the scales!

The horrendously long reps have really helped to slap on some mass. My chest looks thicker and deeper with a better shape. My shoulders are beginning to broaden some more and my back is coming along nicely too. Traps and arms have needed very little isolation but aren't lagging not that I specifically trained them solely. A shoulders and arm day was a new concept and by the end of it it feels like I have two footballs under either arm!:p

Legs - its taken me until this week to find the right weights and I was thoroughly paying for it today. Despite stretching twice last night and having a bath I found it crippling to walk at work today! and had to keep hobbling off to stretch in the toilets!

The DOM's are insane and last for days, which ever body part has been worked will feel bruised(thats right bruised!) to touch. I know I'm groing as so are my stretch marks so it's not all in my head!

However I've found myself to be chopping and changing(cycling) a few exercises here and there to stop boredom and promote balanced growth.

It's not for the feint hearted! I've already got a list of things I want to try when I finish GVT such as tri-sets! should have changed my routine earlier and more often rather than sticking to the same thing for too long.

Hows the AGVT coming along freefaller? Morba you still considering jumping on the GVT bandwagon?:)

How often would you recommend changing a routine/exercises(for a standard split/part per day)? - obviously GVT & AVGT take longer than average. about 6-8 weeks depending on progress?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
AGVT is hard but going well so far - it's just picking the right exercises that is the most difficult really.

I tend to say anything between 6-8 weeks though verging towards 8 more than 6. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom