Poll: ***The all new gymrats thread***

Do we archive this thread and start a new one for 2010?

• Yeah good idea.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Nah I'm happy with this one.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
:eek:

That's a lot of weight! I can't military press anywhere near my bodyweight... but I have weak shoulders for my size I think :(

Idd that is impressive. I'm doing 80k seated for a few sets of 5 at 86k bodyweight and it feels heavy for me.
Strained my groin area again today on the hip adductor. I've done it a couple of times before and seem to have a bit of a weakness when I go heavy on them now :mad:

Last night there were a couple of lads dumbbell bench pressing 30Kg but with a very small ROM. I was trying to listen in to find out wtf and I managed to gleem that they were training for strength and not size, based on what they were saying about 'this should help your strength' etc.

Do they have a point with this tactic, very heavy weights for a small ROM and few reps can help strength? They were literally dropping the dumbbells down 7 inches.

Also you know that military press is with your feet together right? Otherwise it's just shoulder pressing. :)

Not to doubt you, but...http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/DeltoidAnterior/BBMilitaryPress.html are you saying that is wrong?

Yes it's a common misconception, offiically military press is feet together standing - this means that there's much less chance of you leaning back to compensate for the weight.

however over the years standard shoulder press has now been dubbed "military" press - incorrectly I might add.

Seated shoulder press should also be done without the back rest for true representation - otherwise most people arch their backs and push against the the backrest which is cheating somewhat. I can add a good 20kg to my lift with the backrest up.

Having the backrest up has it's place of course :)

As for paritals, they are good for punching through sticking points and activating the connecting tissues in the muscles and tendons that are struggling - so yes, in a way they can help strength as once you've pushed through that sticking point you may be able to lift more.

My sticking point on bench for example is around 3 inches from my chest so what I could do is load the bar up on a rack at exactly that height and practice lifting it from that point again and again and again and it'll only come down as far as the rest stops.

However, it, in itself, does NOT increase strength - it helps the weaker part of your ROM... if they were not concentrating on their weak point (i.e. like my 3 inch from chest area) and just doing it for the sake of getting "stronger" then I very much doubt it.

For a start it'll impair their flexibility, tighten the muscle group and make it such that it may actually weaken their full ROM as a result.

Partials should only be used for sticking points, or in combination with FULL ROMs to aid explosive/power development. Partials alone are pointless.

I see a lot of guys bending their backs when they do a military press to the point where it must almost become an incline chest press. I've always maintained that in order to get the most from an exercise you have to have good form and tempo before upping the weight. Too many people sacrifice form and tempo for weight and I can't see how it's helping them.

As for paritals, they are good for punching through sticking points and activating the connecting tissues in the muscles and tendons that are struggling - so yes, in a way they can help strength as once you've pushed through that sticking point you may be able to lift more.

My sticking point on bench for example is around 3 inches from my chest so what I could do is load the bar up on a rack at exactly that height and practice lifting it from that point again and again and again and it'll only come down as far as the rest stops.

However, it, in itself, does NOT increase strength - it helps the weaker part of your ROM... if they were not concentrating on their weak point (i.e. like my 3 inch from chest area) and just doing it for the sake of getting "stronger" then I very much doubt it.

For a start it'll impair their flexibility, tighten the muscle group and make it such that it may actually weaken their full ROM as a result.

Partials should only be used for sticking points, or in combination with FULL ROMs to aid explosive/power development. Partials alone are pointless.

Youve just gotta look at the guys size to see whether he should be doing partials or not. As im sure FF, Tank, morba etc will agree once you are doing big lifts, every 10kilo is a real mission to achieve and can require a range of techniques to get you moving forward of which partials, in my opinion, are absoloutley key. But it should be pretty obvious who is at this level and who isn't. Partials are used to train ego and will hinder growth in novice trainers.

if been looking at sci mx omni max formula. its all in one(creatine,protein,....)
it also has testos boosters as well, which can help with strength

anyone used it, are these all in one nonsense ?

Dear oh dear. Was seated behind the neck pressing earlier, got upto 70k fine, loaded 80 on and went abit mental on the unracking instead of getting my trainer partner to help like normal. *Crunch* *Squelch* Ouch. Felt like my left arm came out the socket :( My spotter acted fantastic and took the weight soon as I shouted and it seemed to pull back in. Been resting for a few hours with some paracetamol and the pain has eased a lot but still feels very strange.
Good news is I weighed in at 87.25kg before I tried to drive home in 1st and occasionally 3rd with just my right arm :p

I stopped using the vertical bench and my weights have gone down a bit. Not sure if I should stick it out or not.

Anyone else have a preference for one or the other? Guess it doesn't matter so much though!

Jeez i do ask a lot of question here :|

ATm then i feel im not making much progress with this 3 day split that i have as each muscle group is only being worked once every 5 sometimes 6 days! if i cahanged my routine to below will it be beneficial or overkill?

Monday - Bi's/Tri's
Tuesday - Chest/Back
Wednesday - Shoulders/Legs
Thursday - Bi's/Tri's
Friday - Chest/Back
Saturday - Shoulders/Legs

My cardio will be fitted around this, it usually consists of a 30mile bike ride to some random destination, latest being form Canterbury to sandwich :) and back and also a (aimed at women i think) body combat session class thing at the gym

Doing both muscle groups in the arms in one day is not good, and never work a muscle group more than once a week, so back and chest on Tue/Thur is a no no

Personally, I think the best split is:

Monday - Triceps/Chest
Tuesday - Cardio
Wednesday - Biceps/Back
Thursday - Legs
Friday - Shoulders or Legs/Shoulders with Thursday as a rest day

It's what I've seen most gains with, and it's pretty close to the push pull legs model which is highly recommended. I feel it's massively beneficial to give a whole workout for your legs. They really do need the volume.

Dear oh dear. Was seated behind the neck pressing earlier, got upto 70k fine, loaded 80 on and went abit mental on the unracking instead of getting my trainer partner to help like normal. *Crunch* *Squelch* Ouch. Felt like my left arm came out the socket :( My spotter acted fantastic and took the weight soon as I shouted and it seemed to pull back in. Been resting for a few hours with some paracetamol and the pain has eased a lot but still feels very strange.
Good news is I weighed in at 87.25kg before I tried to drive home in 1st and occasionally 3rd with just my right arm :p

that sounds horrible.:(
always thought that pressing behind the neck is a very risky exercise with no real benefit compared to dumbbell press for example.

Hope it ain't something bad and wish you a speedy recovery!;)

Steedie, chest before tri's and back before bi's, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom