Poll: ***The all new gymrats thread***

Do we archive this thread and start a new one for 2010?

• Yeah good idea.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Nah I'm happy with this one.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I not up to scratch on all the names, but im sure they called them military presses when we train, basically sitting in a chair (machine) where you load plates either side, pushing forward, chair is upright/inclided that sound like a military press?

Last edited:
Sounds like a subluxation you had there Dun. Basically a partial dislocation. Where the humerus rides up inside the shoulder joint and nears dislocation but then slips back in. Feels as if theres a gap internally in your shoulder.

Possibly some rotator cuff damage too. I'd take it easy on the behind the neck pressing as I'm sure you will! Some rotator cuff isolation as well may help :)

Your clued up and in the know so don't want to patronise you!

Any questions just ask mate.

I not up to scratch on all the names, but im sure they called them military presses when we train, basically sitting in a chair (machine) where you load plates either side, pushing forward, chair is upright/inclided that sound like a military press?

Sounds like a plate loaded chest press. Unless your pushing up then it'd be a shoulder press, which is similar to military press. (Standing, feet together as I learnt today!)

Exactly, so why risk overtraining and working that muscle group twice?

Fair enough if those two workouts are a few days apart

There is lots of arguements to each method and to be honest I guess it depends on the person. I do prefer your split over ConTRo13R though.

and never work a muscle group more than once a week

To say never is quite a bold statement - you are pretty much writing out all proven powerlifting/strength routines :D

It all comes down to experimentation.

Military press to me is standing and pressing above the head with an Olympic bar with various weight, nothing else!

Military Press: No bending of the knees at all
Push Press: Can use leg drive to push the bar up but no bending of the knees to get under the bar.
Jerk: Leg drive and rebend to get under the bar

I don't know why, I much prefer the military press over shoulder press. It just gives me a better feel in the muscle. On the form front, when I started I wanted to be lifting big weights even if that meant sketchy form but these days more and more it seems the better course is to not worry about pushing a stupid weight, because I know that if i do things properly I will have a better line of progression with a lot less risk of injury. It's also nice to know that you can lift a certain amount and that you can lift it well, and not lift it just about-ish.

Military Press: No bending of the knees at all
Push Press: Can use leg drive to push the bar up but no bending of the knees to get under the bar.
Jerk: Leg drive and rebend to get under the bar

I love finishing off a set of strict pressing with as many push presses you can do until failure.

Jerk is where its at though :cool:

Main advantage with squatting with a barbell is you can do a higher weight and it focuses more on the legs, as the back can comfertably hold the weight.

It is very difficult to hold heavy dumbells and squat and it quickly becomes an all over body workout and you get bloody knackered quickly. Your grip is likely to go before your legs do, or you are just too tired to go on. It is still a good exercise and you can sometimes also get a better range of motion.

But for mass/strength building the barbell squat is king for legs.

For the chest is it good to mix them up. Both have advantages and recruit muscles in a slightly different way. It would be good to alternative them. But similar issues with finding or getting heavy dumbells up for chest presses.

Also negatives and forced reps are a bit easier with the bar.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom