Poll: ***The all new gymrats thread***

Do we archive this thread and start a new one for 2010?

• Yeah good idea.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Nah I'm happy with this one.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, went to the gym today looking to catch up after missing my leg session yesterday because my back didn't feel 100%. Someone died of a heart attack. Was ever so slightly shocked. He was quite old but still, not something I expected to see!

Training ended prematurely obviously with the panic and hysteria that followed. Not sure if it will be re-opened tomorrow or not. Sad times.

Those big exercise balls can be had from 5-15 pound. Depends where you look.

Argos is handy if you've one in your town.

Can anyone reccomend an online site that ships to Ireland, I've been looking for a Head Harness for neck training. It's been neglected enough.

Well money being as tight as it is at the moment I may just keep doing what I'm doing for free ^^

Fell off the diet wagon a bit over the last 7-8 days. I started training twice a day, every day, but I think I over compensated a bit with the food, I'm having serious doubts that I'll ever be able to get below 70Kgs. It also doesn't help that Sainsbury keep putting on the most diabolical special offers... 2 bags of cookies for £1. One pound!. I've been looking at it for three weeks and saying no, but I caved in yesterday and went for two bags of oatmeal and raisin. They are gone now.

I think God was punishing me though because when I went out for my late night run, I cycled down to the water front as usual, chained up my bike, did my run and sprints, then when I came back to my bike... both tires were flat. I had to carry the damn thing on my back over a mile to my house through the center of town at 20:00, the amount of abuse I got :( "It works better if you sit on it mate!" etc.

... both tires were flat. I had to carry the damn thing on my back over a mile to my house through the center of town at 20:00, the amount of abuse I got :( "It works better if you sit on it mate!" etc.

There is no way to recover from that (much like having to pick up a frisbee).

My saddle got nicked once when I was about 5 miles from home, so I started cycling back standing. Within about 200 metres my back tire burst just as it started to tip down with rain.

Got a question, made a video.

Is what I'm doing here dangerous? It feels good, no complains from the back, but I haven't seen many people doing it so maybe there is some potential danger I don't know about.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n3Ni69tJA4

There is nothing dangerous about that, exactly the same movement (hyper- extending the back) is performed with a medicine ball crunch.

:eek:Not something that happens every day in the gym. do you know if he was in the middle of an exercise.

Spoke to the manager today. He was a 55 year old man who was in the gym 5 times a week. He'd just finished on the cross trainer and was walking towards the rowing machines. Collapsed in a heap, the manager was by his side in seconds but there was nothing he could do.

Pronounced dead at the scene. Really not what you would expect from a fit 55 year old man!!

Got a question, made a video.

Is what I'm doing here dangerous? It feels good, no complains from the back, but I haven't seen many people doing it so maybe there is some potential danger I don't know about.

You'll have to excuse the state of undress, I was doing a bit of work and this thought suddenly popped into my head so I just grabbed the camera.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n3Ni69tJA4

Something to motivate me int he background :D

Have you tried doing haning leg rises froma pull up bar?

Really good ab exercise.

Spoke to the manager today. He was a 55 year old man who was in the gym 5 times a week. He'd just finished on the cross trainer and was walking towards the rowing machines. Collapsed in a heap, the manager was by his side in seconds but there was nothing he could do.

Pronounced dead at the scene. Really not what you would expect from a fit 55 year old man!!
:eek:Did he look like he was on roids or anything? 55 is quite a young age for a heart attack :(.

Deffo not. He was just a regular guy. In there for fitness more than anything. Never saw him lift weights, although I've not seen him in there that many times as I usually go at obscure hours of the day.

Anyone going to the BNBF Finals on October 4th?

Tempted to go, my mate is in the Middleweight final this year so going to go along and give him some support. Plus it's good for motivation!

Was thinking maybe we could have an OcUK gymrats meet there?

Did me some free barbell presses for the first time today, worked up to 65kg for 6 reps although that was quite comfortable, I had a spotter but I still dont feel I can push myself entirely to failure as I can with dumbbells/smith. I think I'll shoot for ~70-72.5kg for my next session.

Gonna do legs tommorow and my first time doing barbell squats, I think I'll probably be in the camp where I can squat more than I can bench =/.

Everyone can squat more than they bench :) If you find yourself benching more than you can squat, you are either not squatting hard enough, or have been neglecting your squats for too long! :)

Havent done leg work for 1 week or squats for 2 weeks :p, tend to do it in the smith machine too, I reckon the weight I squat will rocket up though I'm going to start with the bar and try get some reasonable form.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom