Poll: ***The all new gymrats thread***

Do we archive this thread and start a new one for 2010?

• Yeah good idea.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Nah I'm happy with this one.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I always thought chins were suppinated (and usually closer grip) and pull ups were pronated. I guess just because I imagine your chin going up and over the bar in a suppinated grip, but not in pronated. :)

Pretty much all the articles I've read state this too, also some people just call both exercises chins or pull ups

In regards to only being able to do 2 pull ups, you could try the 'grease the groove' thing where you do an easy amount of reps through out the day( in this case 1 pull up). Only works if you have easy access to a bar though.

http://www.beastskills.com/OneArmPull.htm
^^ interesting challenge when you thing pull ups/ chin ups are too easy :cool:

Last edited:
Pretty much all the articles I've read state this too, also some people just call both exercises chins or pull ups

In regards to only being able to do 2 pull ups, you could try the 'grease the groove' thing where you do an easy amount of reps through out the day( in this case 1 pull up). Only works if you have easy access to a bar though.

http://www.beastskills.com/OneArmPull.htm
^^ interesting challenge when you thing pull ups/ chin ups are too easy :cool:

smyth thats a great link, I'll give some of those ideas in that link a bang;).

It seems I've gained another set of stripes today. More stretch marks have appeared after my back work out, but in the strangest of places. About 2 inches down from my wrist. I usually get mega forearm pump anyway but combined with the pump supplement I'm using it seems I did actually get a 'skin splitting' pump!

Back workout went like this:

Assisted WG pullups, 4 second negatives:
BW-12KG x 8, 8, 8
Assisted Chins, 4 second negatives:
BW-12KG x 8, 8, 8

B.O.R:
60KG x 10, 10
B.O.R Underhand: 60KG x 10, 10

Deadlifts:
60KG x 8
110KG x 8
150KG x 8
160KG x 6
170KG x 4

Pull downs, slow negs:
61KG x 8, 8
68KG x 8

Pull downs behind the neck:
54KG x 8, 8, 8

Rear Deltoid Fly:
Warmup Both arms: 33KG x 8
Single arm: 33KG x 10/10, 10/10
Single arm: 40KG x 10/10

Seated Row, 4 second negatives:
54KG x 8, 8, 8

Lat Pull down again, big squeeze at peak slow negs, big stretch up
47KG x 15
40KG x 16

Bicep Isolation:

Reverse Curl/Standard Curl Superset:
20KG BB: 10/10, 10/10

Seated DB Curl:
14KG x 10/10
16KG x 10/10
18KG x 8/8

Veins popping out everywhere by now.

Tad more rear deltoid fly:
33KG x 8/8
40KG x 6/6

Spent.

Noticed the stretch marks on my forearms whilst at my locker. Phone snap didn't pick them up very well. Luckily they're not dark red like the ones across my shoulder/arpit/chest.

Wow, benny, you're training ridiculously hard

Thanks. GVT put my endurance through the roof. I do tend to push myself very hard. Combined with the pump supplement, wether it be placebo or not, I'm training balls to the wall. Though I need to be careful not to over train. Which is tough when you don't feel anywhere near as tired as you should after the sessions above.

Pull downs use different (secondary) muscles to pull ups. If you can only do 2 pull ups, then do them. There is *no* reason not to. Then do some negatives, then hit the pull downs as well. Honestly; there is nothing to lose, and plenty to gain.

bent over rows

make sure your back is parallel to floor when doing them

anythin that can help with soreness? i really suffered tonight after mondays session. chinups and pullups with slow negatives made me wanna scream. do i need to add somethin to diet or supps?

No to supps. Yes to diet. Lots of veg and I mean lots! drink plenty of water and have a stretch out a few hours after training. Welcome to the world of DOM's, you'll learn to love them :D

k i think i can up my veg and water.
im in my fifth month and so am used to doms but am currently doing low weight but with strict form and very slow negatives so have just noticed it more!!

still its all good :)

I always thought chins were suppinated (and usually closer grip) and pull ups were pronated. I guess just because I imagine your chin going up and over the bar in a suppinated grip, but not in pronated. :)

EDIT: ala.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chin-up and... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pull-up_(exercise)

Unless I'm getting everything confused, and that's what you've actually said :p

To be honest your chin should go over the bar when doing either otherwise you're not really doing a full rep - though there are flexibility issues for some however in spite of this you should try and get as high as possible - even if it means doing negs with a spotter.

Slow negatives are the daddy at creating DOM's. Good on you for focusing on stirct form and negatives.

Indeed they are, however don't be fooled into thinking that if you train and DON'T get DOMs you're not doing a good work out - because lack of DOMS doesn't always signify lack of tissue damage or lactic acid activation. :)

bent over rows

make sure your back is parallel to floor when doing them

For pendlay rows yes, but not all BORs (depending on the type you do) need to be parallel to the ground.

To be honest your chin should go over the bar when doing either otherwise you're not really doing a full rep - though there are flexibility issues for some however in spite of this you should try and get as high as possible - even if it means doing negs with a spotter.

Agreed. Pulling up without at least putting your chin over is just another example of partial repping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom