Poll: ***The all new gymrats thread***

Do we archive this thread and start a new one for 2010?

• Yeah good idea.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Nah I'm happy with this one.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw that. I thought it was a very bad idea - it completely sends the wrong message out to me.
First I've seen of it, but why do you think it's a bad idea mate?

Agreed. Pulling up without at least putting your chin over is just another example of partial repping.
Yep, unless you get your chin over it is a partial rep. However unless you are trying to get in the army, or some pullup competition, partial pullups have their place for intermediate- advanced lifters.

I was trying wall handstands today with a view to trying wall handstand pushups, but first attempt i lost my balance, fell sideways and my toes smashed into a set of draws. Yup, broken toe :(.

One cool thing though, i did get to try entonox, the 50% NO2 50% O2 mix when they were trying to untwist the toe. Wow that was a cool feeling.

Quick question to anybody who has used it, but what are these NO supplements like? I have seen a load of people ranting and raving about how good they are and they have amazing energy in the gym

So has anybody here used things like NO Explode and actually found them to be any good?

I was trying wall handstands today with a view to trying wall handstand pushups, but first attempt i lost my balance, fell sideways and my toes smashed into a set of draws. Yup, broken toe :(.

One cool thing though, i did get to try entonox, the 50% NO2 50% O2 mix when they were trying to untwist the toe. Wow that was a cool feeling.

Ouch sorry to hear about that mate, at least it was only a broken toe, although it is annoying that it never sits quite right again. I broke mine when I was a kid, looking down at it all twisted was pretty weird. Kicked the corner of a sofa when having a play fight with my brother and the toes split either side of the corner, don't think they're meant to do 90 degree angles :(.

Sends out completely the wrong message. MP are supposed to be a "leading edge" company, yet they've run out of ideas and are asking other people to "invent" blends for them - doesn't say much for the R&D department really does it?

To be honest there isn't much difference between any of the supplement suppliers anyway. IF someone manages to come up with something new and useful then it can't be a bad thing in my eyes. It'll probably be some whey/ crea mix or some other bs though.

I want to do handstands but fear the same will happen when I try a wall handstand since there's not much room in my house.

Did you read up on how to do wall handstands or just try and wing it?

I've been trying freestanding handstand pushups for a while - can get up there initially from tuck (i.e. not throwing your legs up) but any movement from there is freakin' impossible.

Quick question to anybody who has used it, but what are these NO supplements like? I have seen a load of people ranting and raving about how good they are and they have amazing energy in the gym

So has anybody here used things like NO Explode and actually found them to be any good?

Search for the supplement discussion thread and discuss it in there :)

I've recently started using a pump supplement. Read a few of my questions/answers.

I've been trying freestanding handstand pushups for a while - can get up there initially from tuck (i.e. not throwing your legs up) but any movement from there is freakin' impossible.

If you've got a mate who can spot you then you can try doing the negatives from it at least, unlike my mate when we tried it who got bored and just dumped me on my head, I should say much alcohol had been consumed before we thought this was a good idea.

Leg day today lads!

Was a bit ooo err about it due to the fact I only really recovered from last Thursdays leg session on Tuesday! Aiming for 100 reps of press/squat combo.

Back squats, smith as always due to lack of equipment:

W/U: 7.5KG x 6
W/U: 60KG x 6
Working sets:
100KG x 10
100KG x 10
100KG x 10
100KG x 10

Leg Press:

Feet up high, coming down below parralell to the plate:
100KG x 20
100KG x 20
100KG x 20
125KG x 5
145KG x 5

Hip Adduction In:
80KG x 20
90KG x 20
100KG x 20
100KG x 20
100KG x 20

Leg Extensions:
45KG x 8
55KG x 8
65KG x 8
75KG x 8
85KG x 8
100KG x 8, just, stalled but pushed through :cool:

Seated calf raise, improvising with the smith:

27.5KG x 20
37.5Kg x 20
47.5KG x 20

Seated Leg curls:
4 Second negs:
45KG x 8
55KG x 8
65KG x 8

Calf Raise on Leg press:

Either leg:
35KG x 10/10
45KG x 10/10
Both Legs:
75KG x 10
75KG x 10
Superset, no rest:
75KG x 10, 85KG x 10, 100KG x 10

Spent.

Decided to do my sets of 20 for compound leg work on the leg press today for a few reasons. I had an unbearable pump doing it with squats last time, my lower back was a tad sore from deadlifts yesterday as my form wasn't quite strict enough on my last set and I also fancied some variation.

Also allowed me to really hammer it on the leg extension which were controlled negatives, not just throwing the weight around like a rookie.

Managed to crack my ankle on the leg extension which is feeling a bit iffy at the moment! :mad:

Edit: Just short of 34 tonnes volume?! Somebody care to check my maths?

Last edited:
To be honest there isn't much difference between any of the supplement suppliers anyway. IF someone manages to come up with something new and useful then it can't be a bad thing in my eyes. It'll probably be some whey/ crea mix or some other bs though.

I only buy from MP if my local supplier runs out and since I buy whey about twice to 3x a year it's not a big issue. As for other supps, I tend to buy them 1x a year when doing an intensive program or playing rugby. So it's no loss to me. I just personally, from a knowlege POV, but also business point of view see that as sending out a bit of a strange message.

I want to do handstands but fear the same will happen when I try a wall handstand since there's not much room in my house.

Did you read up on how to do wall handstands or just try and wing it?

I used the site that was posted earlier in the thread. You kind of have to throw your legs up and the wall catches you - or in my case, if you have slidy wallpaper you end up sliding off sideways :(

The toe is one of those really annoying bones to break, it's so small but yet can stop you doing anything. I'm hobbling around at the moment. I'm out of rugby for 4 weeks at least. Depending on how i go, i may get some gym in there when it becomes slightly easier to walk on (nothing heavy obviously).

Last edited:
If you've got a mate who can spot you then you can try doing the negatives from it at least, unlike my mate when we tried it who got bored and just dumped me on my head, I should say much alcohol had been consumed before we thought this was a good idea.

I have to say a lot of my "training" for this has been performed after a jar or two at various festivals around the UK.

I have no idea why someone would try to do freestanding handstand pushups without being competent at handstands first. I can hold a handstand in place for about 20-30 seconds without moving a muscle (obviously not literally, there's loads of muscular activity) but I can do two pushups at most, because the balance is extremely hard.

Just do them against the wall, I can do 10+ like that and have to use books to increase the range of motion to make it harder.

I only buy from MP if my local supplier runs out and since I buy whey about twice to 3x a year it's not a big issue. As for other supps, I tend to buy them 1x a year when doing an intensive program or playing rugby. So it's no loss to me. I just personally, from a knowlege POV, but also business point of view see that as sending out a bit of a strange message.

I agree with you mate, it does make the business side look a bit amateurish. We'll have to wait and see what the final product is to decide whether it was worth it I guess.

I have no idea why someone would try to do freestanding handstand pushups without being competent at handstands first. I can hold a handstand in place for about 20-30 seconds without moving a muscle (obviously not literally, there's loads of muscular activity) but I can do two pushups at most, because the balance is extremely hard.

Just do them against the wall, I can do 10+ like that and have to use books to increase the range of motion to make it harder.

I used to do some against the wall when I trained at home. I went through a weird phase of practising walking on my hands all of the time and I got pretty good at it, until I did pretty much exactly what neon did, apart from I hit my shin and toes (lucky didn't seriously injury either, but it hurt :p) and that was the end of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom