Poll: ***The all new gymrats thread***

Do we archive this thread and start a new one for 2010?

• Yeah good idea.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Nah I'm happy with this one.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hiya guys, I'm training to be a life guard this week, and haven't been swimming much recently. In particular, my legs really hurt after having to swim 50m breaststroke legs while on my back (without my arms :(). Wondered if there are any exercises I can do at home tonight to help use these muscles?

I've been a lifeguard for the best part of 5yrs and the best way to train for your NPLQ or NARS is get in the pool and swim, one of the best bits of advice I was given was that when you training swim in a heavy top such as a rugby top which will weigh a ton when wet, then when you come to do your exam wear a very thin top it makes a massive difference.

Back session today:

Wide Grip Pull Ups:
4 second negatives:
BW - 12KG x 8
BW - 12KG x 8
BW - 12KG x 8

Brief rest periods.

Wide Hammer Grip Chins:
4 second negatives:
BW - 12KG x 8
BW - 12KG x 8
BW - 12KG x 8

Again brief rest periods.

B.O.R's
3 Second negatives:
60KG x 10
60KG x 10

Underhand B.O.R's
3 Second negatives:
60KG x 10
60KG x 10

Deadlifts:
60KG x 8
110KG x 8
150KG x 8
160KG x 6
170KG x 4

Shoulder width hammer grip pull down:
4 Second negatives:
47KG x 8
54KG x 8
61KG x 8

Widegrip pull down:
4 second negatives:
54KG x 8
61KG x 8
68KG x 8

Seated Row Palms facing floor:
4 Second negatives:
54KG x 8
54KG x 8

Seated Row Palms facing eachother:
4 Second negatives:
54KG x 8
54KG x 8

Reverse Pecfly/Rear deltoid & rhomboids.
4 second negatives:
both arms:
33KG x 8
Single arms palms facing floor:
33KG 8 / 8
Single arms palms facing eachother/perpendicular to floor:
33KG x 8/8
Single arms palms facing floor again:
33KG 8 / 8 Supersetted with both arms for 6 more reps.

More Lat Pull down:
4 Second negatives:
47KG x 15 (Last rep pause for 2 seconds at peak contraction)
40KG x 15 ( as above)

Behind the back shrugs:
4 second negatives:
50KG x 20
50KG x 20

Bicep Isolation:

Seated DB curls( alternating):
4 second negatives:
16KG/16KG x 8/8
18KG/ 18KG x 8/8
20KG/20KG x 8/8

Reverse grip BB curl:
4 second negatives:
20KG x 10
20KG x 7/10 (failure - followed by 3 upright rows to allow me to complete the negative and set of 10)
20KG x 6/10 (as above)

3 sets of preacher curls 2 close grip and one wide at about 25KG, 4 second negatives as always.

Spent. Feels good. Can definatley feel it more in my inner upper back which I'm pleased about.
Edit: Back pump, well chest measurement with back pump was just shy of 46". Forgot to do the arms.

Last edited:
I've been a lifeguard for the best part of 5yrs and the best way to train for your NPLQ or NARS is get in the pool and swim, one of the best bits of advice I was given was that when you training swim in a heavy top such as a rugby top which will weigh a ton when wet, then when you come to do your exam wear a very thin top it makes a massive difference.

Thanks mate, it's an intensive course with the exam on Saturday, so I don't want to push myself and get hurt too much. Will try and do some pressups n situps tonight, bur first of all I'm off hunting for protein :D

are the really tight tops surfers wear called rash vests? EDIT: It seems they are. Will try and pick one up in the surfers capital most people call Kent on friday :)

Last edited:
Benny that's a ridiculous amount of volume! I think you're getting on the verge of overtraining a little.

Hmmm. There is quite a lot of volume. Think I'm guilty of training a little bit too hard.

Most of those weights are quite light for me, especially the seated rows and first set or 2 of each pyramid so they aren't all what I'd call 'working' sets.

I'll give it a rethink :p

I could cut the extra rows and pulldowns out. I just like to go round and make sure I've given it my all!

I'm soon to be changing routine once I get round to working a new one out. I've not really got a set one as such, a rough outline but will stop when I feel that I've worked hard enough.

'Less is more'.

I think I'm guilty of letting leg volume creep into my back workout!

Thanks mate, it's an intensive course with the exam on Saturday, so I don't want to push myself and get hurt too much. Will try and do some pressups n situps tonight, bur first of all I'm off hunting for protein :D

are the really tight tops surfers wear called rash vests? EDIT: It seems they are. Will try and pick one up in the surfers capital most people call Kent on friday :)

I did my NPLQ about two months ago. I did it over two consecutive weekends so it was pretty intense. If you are reasonably fit, and can absorb information well, you'll be absolutely fine :)

Benny, i do the following which im happy with, and will be switching around the order in another 2 weeks to mix it up a little;

WG Pullups x4 of 12/10/8/6
CG Pullups x4 of 12/F/F/F(tired by this point :p)
DL 1x10 (Warmup)
DL 2x5
DL 1x5
DL 1x3
^(upping weight each time)
Seated cable rows x4 12/10/8/6

4 different excercises, but by this time, my back is knackered!

This is followed by wrist curls/reverse grip BB curls to finish off.

Takes roughly 45-55mins. Hope this helps.

Thanks.

I'm thinking something like this might be better than what I've been doing:

Widegrip Pullups x4 sets x 8 reps
Chinups x 2 sets x 8 reps

B.O.R's x 4 sets x 8 reps

Deadlifts x 2sets x 10 reps warmup
x 3 x 8, 6, 4 reps

Pulldowns, varying behind the neck, hammer grip bar and standard
6 sets x 8 reps (so 2 sets for each)

Rear deltoid/Rhomboid work x 4 sets x 8 reps

Then onto bicep isolation.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Hello,

I'm new in here as i've just started going to the gym after putting on a few pounds. Currently 6ft tall and just under 15 stone. Considering my dad is diabetic and has just had a quadruple bypass i figured a change in life style was in order.

So i've started going to the gym and i'm doing the following per session.

10 min quick walk on the treadmill
30 mins on the crosstrainer
20 mins on a recline bike
2 x 15 12.5kg shoulder lift
2 x 22.5 kg Chest Press
Leg Presses
Some free weights that are supposed to help my upper back

is this going to help me lose weight and get firmer ?

also, i went last night and i'm really stiff especially under my arm pits is this normal ? should i wait a day before i go back ?

The best thing you can do first mate is read the sticky for tips on training and diet.

Overall if you want to lose weight you should work on making sure that

daily calories in < daily calories out.

Thats not to say that you should starve though.

Keep meals frequent and well balanced, switch unhealthy options to healthier ones. Try and stick to low GI carbs (these are digested more slowly) for instance wholemeal bread rather than white. Eat lots and lots of veg, as much as you want, that is the one thing you can afford to really go at. Also try and stick to lean meats rather than some of the fattier cuts. It would also help greatly if you could make sure that your main source of liquids is water.

On the exercise front, if you want to build up a little and lose the fat, maybe don't place so much emphasis on steady state cardio. You could try doing a fully fledged weights routine and reduce the cardio slightly. Theres a few guys on this forum whos threads you might like to read, because they have made some amazing body changes with a prodominantly free weights orientated exercise routine.

The biggest factor in losing the weight will be the nutritional side of things, if you can stay disciplined there then jobs a good'n.

Hope this helps.

Legs day today. Volume welcome :p

Back Squats (Smith- lack of rack)
WU:
7.5KG x 10
60KG x 10

Working:
100KG x 10
100KG x 10
100KG x 10
Didn't have the 4th set in me today :(
60KG x 20

Leg Press:
100KG x 20
100KG x 20
100KG x 20

Hip Adduction:
80KG x 20
90KG x 20
100KG x 20
100KG x 20
100KG x 20

Leg Extensions:
45KG x 8
55KG x 8
65KG 8
75KG 8
85KG x 8
100KG x 8 (A very shakey last rep)

Leg Curls: nice and slow
45KG x 10
45KG x 10
45KG x 10

DB lunge walking:
BW x 12 steps
10KG DB either hand:
12 steps
16 steps
16 steps

Calf Raise on leg press:
Either leg: slow negs
35KG x 10/10
Both x 10
40KG x 10/10
Both x 10
Both x 80KG x 10
Both x 80KG x 10

Spent.

Ankle is playing up a bit from last weeks leg session, the improvisation using the smith for seated calf raise has pulled something on the top of my ankle. Miles better than it was but still twinging a bit.

if i've counted that right that's 33 sets on legs.

Correct me if im wrong those who are more experienced, but i'm inclined to think that's a bit much?

Just curious, why do you do rear deltoid excercises on your back day? Seems a bit random that's all.

tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom