Poll: ***The all new gymrats thread***

Do we archive this thread and start a new one for 2010?

• Yeah good idea.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Nah I'm happy with this one.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
All I have pre workout is a banana and a coffee, but a good 60-90 mins before I have a good meal with protein and some carbs. By the time I get to the gym I'm buzzing (after the banana and coffee) and not feeling full or bloated. There's not much point in taking protein soon before a workout as your body won't synthesis it properly during intense lifting sessions. However BCAAs and EEAs are much more useful to take before/during if you feel the need for them. Post workout I go for a 50:50 split of protein and carbs immediately afterwards, whey isolate and some blended oats. Then about an hour later I have a good wholesome meal.

by pre workout I meant 30-40 mins before. You may be right, as it will not be fully absorbed as you start, but I have noticed a difference (although small) every time I took it, so I think it's worth a try. :) And it wasn't just the carbs as I used to have dextrose and creatine before and I just added some whey as well.

Ok, so I just got back into the gym today, first time in a few months!

First time i've used a busy public gym. :( Saw so many people with poor form or lifting stupid weights for stupid reps. Had to queue for stuff too, gah! :(

My training partner mentioned that I was performing my reps too slow, I'd say each rep takes roughly 2 seconds - maybe a little longer, but less than 3 for sure - is that correct? Most people just seem to blast them out in no time which I think is pointless.

I'm doing 3x8 at the moment, so if I can do 3x8 fairly easily but am unsure if I could do a full 3x8 of the next weight up, would it be best to do 1x8 at the heavier weight then 2x8 at the lighter weight, or just lift whatever max I can get out of 3 sets of the heavier weight?

Last edited:
Freefaller out of interest what time of the day do you train? After work?Before work?

He's not around tonight but after work is when he'd normally be going to the gym, between about 17:30 and 19:00 if that matters any.

My training partner mentioned that I was performing my reps too slow, I'd say each rep takes roughly 2 seconds - maybe a little longer, but less than 3 for sure - is that correct? Most people just seem to blast them out in no time which I think is pointless.

What are you aiming for? As I understand it (and I'm far from an expert) if you want size then slow negatives (~4 seconds) are the way to go but aim for explosive power on the positive part of the action. There's obviously a bit more to it than that but depending on what you want to achieve you might be performing the action perfectly. I'm happy to be corrected on this of course.

I'm doing 3x8 at the moment, so if I can do 3x8 fairly easily but am unsure if I could do a full 3x8 of the next weight up, would it be best to do 1x8 at the heavier weight then 2x8 at the lighter weight, or just lift whatever max I can get out of 3 sets of the heavier weight?

Again if you put down what you want to achieve and what your current programme is then someone who knows a bit more than me can probably advise you on what to do.

I'm no expert either but you want as much hypertrophy as possible. I'd stick with the slow negatives If I were you.

They're very good at getting form spot on, you also get more benefit from doing half the amount of reps slowly, than twice as many twice as fast if that makes sense. Again if you are aiming for size, which you are.

In terms of progressing through the weight I would probaly try what you suggested. Or alternate a set of normal weight, heavy, normal. Or once failed with the heavy weight drop down to the lower.

Perhaps you could try doing 3 x 10, and then once this is achieved, progress onto heavier 3x8, rinse and repeat.

Awaits correction :p

I did consider doing 3x10 or maybe even 4x8? I was starting to feel it on the last 2 reps of the last set, so 3x10 would probably be better. Think i'll only be able to squeeze in two workouts a week for the time being too! :(

I did consider doing 3x10 or maybe even 4x8? I was starting to feel it on the last 2 reps of the last set, so 3x10 would probably be better. Think i'll only be able to squeeze in two workouts a week for the time being too! :(

I was going to suggest 4x8 as well if you find you can carry on with more reps but not any heavier. But 3 x 10 or even 3 x 12 would probaly be more logical.

Ok, so I just got back into the gym today, first time in a few months!

First time i've used a busy public gym. :( Saw so many people with poor form or lifting stupid weights for stupid reps. Had to queue for stuff too, gah! :(

I would say just stick to what works for you, there are many ways to perform different exercises, but your body might react well to slow controlled negative reps and you may grow the best with that way of training.
Some people like to bang them out, and if that works for them, then its not wrong, its just different from what you do. If they are growing, why change the way they do things?
Have you seen some of the way the top bodybuilders train? some of their form is not the best, but we cant really criticise them because they are massive and thats what works for them.

Even Cheat reps have their place in training.

I guess you're right. I wasn't really referring to bodybuilders though, the worst culprit was just a normal bloke doing what appeared to be 30 reps in quick succession with a light weight for 5+ sets. Also saw loads of bent wrists too, not good.

As I said i'm new to using public gyms so it was a new experience!

Last edited:
As I said i'm new to using public gyms so it was a new experience!

It's one of those things unfortunatley. I notice it but I don't let it bother me. I'm there to do my workout properly. I wont speak up or offer advice to somebody unless they're at a great risk of hurting themselves or others. Or appear to be struggling. I see plenty of half-rep heroes on a daily basis that it has become the norm.

I've had people come and ask for help with form and choice of exercises, which providing I'm not busy, I'm more than happy to help with.

Like NitrogenY3K says, if it ain't broke don't try to fix it. People with amazing bodies can have the worst routines and awful form.

You can't out-train a bad diet though. So make sure you're eating properly and plenty :)

Diet, yeah that's going to be the hardest part. Problems arise when I get stuck for what to eat as I hate eating the same stuff over and over again.

I don't think i'll opt for a clean bulk, but it won't be a dirty bulk! I do love chicken which helps things, can't stand tuna though. Can't turn down beef burgers and steaks either!

Think i'll have to sit down and write out a proper plan - might do that now actually. The gymming is the easy part...

Okay, so past attempts at making drastic changes to my diet have failed. I found that the best way was to start by increasing the amount of meals per day to begin with, fine tuning can come once I get into the routine.

Here's a very quick and 'rough' idea of what i'll be aiming for around the first month or so:

diet.jpg

It's not going to be very clean but meh, anything is better than nothing, right?

Something you might find that helps mate is dailyburn.com it's a great place to tot up what you eat and check the macro breakdown. If you're on the build and don't mind gaining fat that diet is ok I guess, but be aware that at some stage you might look in the mirror and want to see some good definition and think to yourself that you want to drop some bodyfat, now not only will that be easier if you are already eating cleanly diet wise, but also with the numbers because you'll have less to lose.

I say this because, I've had a bit of a dodgy patch the past month or so having just got back to uni, I've trained hard in the gym and my lifts have come on, but the diet has been lacking of late and so I've gained a bit of a flabby belly (Thanks Beer!).

I've put together a diet for the next couple of months that I know I can stick to, and that I know I will enjoy eating. I'm going for a calorie defecit at about 2000 kcal a day with plenty of protein to try and retain mass.

A day of this diet might look like so

goal:

kcal - 2000
protein - 200g
carbs - 165g
fat - 60g

example:

kcal - 2058
protein - 206.7g
carbs - 166.38g
fat - 59.06g

Breakfast:

- 3 slices 'Hovis Seed Sensations'
- 2 rashers 'Smoked Back Bacon'
- 2 Large Eggs
- 2 1000mg omega 3 capsules

Lunch:

- 1 cup (195g) Brown Rice
- 100g Mixed Veg
- 200g Chicken Breast

Pre Workout:

- 30g whey

Post Workout:

- 30g whey
- 50g fine scottish oats

Dinner:

- 200g Beef Rump Steak
- 200g Mixed Veg

This diet is by no means perfect, but it is made up of foods that I like and that hold good nutritional value. Another factor in this for me is that the calorie count can be easily increased once I have lost the excess bf and I can keep rolling with this layout.

Hope that is of some help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom