Poll: ***The all new gymrats thread***

Do we archive this thread and start a new one for 2010?

• Yeah good idea.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Nah I'm happy with this one.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back session last night....

Deads

60 x 12 W/U
110 x 8
120 x 6 (With straps cos of girly hands)
130 x 5 (straps)
110 x 8

Chins

BW +10Kg x 10
BW +16kg x 8
BW + 18Kg x 7
BW to failure x 8
BW to total failure x 9

One Arm DB rows

36Kg x 10 x 3 sets (Each arm)
40Kg x 8 x 2 sets (Each Arm)

By this time Im completely screwed....and planned to do barbell BOR's

so kept it light and pumped out a few reps...

70Kg x10
70Kg til max....x 9
70Kg til max....x8

Chucked in a finisher....chins till failure...BW x 9...ouch.

15 mins on crosstrainer.

Both upper and lower back in some pain today...was first back session in two weeks due to shoulder problems last week.

Last edited:
Quick question;

When I'm bench pressing, the most comfortable for me is to have the bench on a slight incline. I've read that the more of an incline, the more the exercise will work your upper chest.

Now, I just can't seem to be able to do a flat bench press at all - my back feels out of shape - what are the benefits of a flat bench press over an incline?

And, is there a limit to the size of the incline? I guess the greater the incline becomes, the further up your chest the workout hits until you end up primarily exercising your shoulders?

Is there an optimum incline? Or should i just do whatever feels best?

Cheers

"Proper" incline is 45 degrees. However it's strange how you can't do flat. Flat is a good strength building exercise, you'll get a bit of size, but nothing major. What feels odd on your back? Where is the bar positioned when you lower it? Which part of your back causes you issues?

Quick question;

When I'm bench pressing, the most comfortable for me is to have the bench on a slight incline. I've read that the more of an incline, the more the exercise will work your upper chest.

Now, I just can't seem to be able to do a flat bench press at all - my back feels out of shape - what are the benefits of a flat bench press over an incline?

And, is there a limit to the size of the incline? I guess the greater the incline becomes, the further up your chest the workout hits until you end up primarily exercising your shoulders?

Is there an optimum incline? Or should i just do whatever feels best?

Cheers

The advantage of flat benchpress is you can use more weight and its better for overall chest size. Contrary to what many believe, the upper chest will also be hit hard with a flat bench, if you don't believe this, try spotting someone who has no shirt on, you can see the upper chest turning blue during the final reps! Flat benching has always been my No1 chosen exercise for building mass and it's paid off nicely ;)

As for which angle to use on the incline, personally i use many in the same session.

Thanks for the quick replies

"Proper" incline is 45 degrees. However it's strange how you can't do flat. Flat is a good strength building exercise, you'll get a bit of size, but nothing major. What feels odd on your back? Where is the bar positioned when you lower it? Which part of your back causes you issues?

Problem is, when the bench is flat, seeing as there's an arch in my lower back, my upper back and **** are on the bench, but theres obviously a gap where my spine arches. Assume this is standard but just feels massively uncomfortable.

Current incline must be around 25-30 degrees - greater than that is still fine but i just wasn't sure if there was a 'best' method of doing it.

Oh, and when the bar is as low as possible, it hovers above my nip's i suppose... :p

Ok, time for a month long break away from intense training. Going country hopping around South East Asia, finishing up in Thailand and will be there for the Full Moon Party on Koh Phangan :cool:

We'll still be hunting down gyms wherever we are of course but just nice leasurely sessions to work off the many hangovers :D

Good luck to all!

Had a great shoulder workout today, made some gains on new exercises that I only did for the first time last week, also got some Triceps in

Seated Press:
20Kg x10
30Kg 2x10
35Kg 2x10

Dumbell Row:
25Kg 3x8

Plate Raises:
15Kg 3x10
PB 20Kg 2x10
15Kg 1x10

Side Lateral Raises:
12.5Kg 4x10

Seated Dumbell Press:
12.5Kg 4x10

French Press:
25Kg 3x10

Kickbacks:
10Kg x 2 3x10

Rope Pulldown:
17.5Kg 3x10

Feel good :)

Last edited:
I love my shoulder days now :)

Doing 10xlateral raises, 10xfront raises, then 10xDB shoulder presses (with a heacier weight) all after one another really gives me a nice feeling afterwards :p

I actually did one set all the same weight for all 3 exercises, which was a nice achievement for me :)

Last edited:
Had a good session today, deadlifted 90kg(pb) for 5 reps which felt good, gonna aim for 95 next week.

Also single arm DB row with 28(pb)for 5 reps also.

Wide grip chins 5x5, usualy cant do the last 5 in 1 set lol so all in all a good session. Finding that i can push myself harder just now, seem to be setting a pb every time i go to the gym!

Looks like you had a good shoulder day delvis :) hows your DB fly form now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom