Poll: ***The all new gymrats thread***

Do we archive this thread and start a new one for 2010?

• Yeah good idea.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Nah I'm happy with this one.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you just doing them bodyweight or with something extra hooked on? I've also switched from shoulder width pullups to wide grip hoping to see some results.

For now I just stick to 5 sets aiming for 6 reps of each @ BW. I have a lot of other back work to cover so don't want to burn out on pull ups. Plus I also find that this can be a little challenging towards the end of the last 2 sets. As I progress I'll either add weight or reps.

For grip they're usually done at the same width I'd use for military press. So I'll get 90 degrees at my elbows with the backs of my upper arm parallel to the floor and grip from this position and then hang down and you should end up with arms something like this : \./

With wide grip you should be able to feel it more everywhere but for me specifically on the lower of your inner upper back if that makes sense as theres less flexion in your biceps and a bigger contraction in your back

Last edited:
Finally hit 100kg bench today! :D. I'm so pleased to finally reach that milestone, wasn't too difficult a lift, I reckon I've got a bit more in me but that will have to wait for another time :).

Congrats :) I remember when I managed that for the first time. Grinned from ear to ear. The pat on the back and 'well done buddy' from my spotter felt great.

I managed to get some PB's today too. I wanted the pain and I got it :D

Legs:

Back Squats: Smith (no rack)
WU:
7.5KG x 6
60KG x 6

Working:
100KG x 8
110KG x 8
120KG x 5
130KG x 3 (PB. Only ever achieved singles at this weight)

Front Squats: Olympic bar, powercleaned.
60KG x 8
70KG x 6
80KG x 5
90KG x 5 Front Squat & Powerclean PB(Slightly more than body weight.) However it was a bit messy :( I should have squatted as the bar stalled just short of my clavicle. Instead I ended up pressing it for a split second and arching back before dipping under. Managed to get the elbows under it but can feel it in my thoracic vertebrae. Feels like it needs to crack. Luckily it's not too bad or painful but I won't be cleaning that weight again and will just put the olympic bar on the smith machine hooks.

Walking Lunge: DB's in either hand
18KG x 16 steps
25KG x 16 steps
27.5KG x 12 steps

Adduction: 4sn
80KG x 20
100KG x 12
150KG x 10

Abduction:
40KG x 20
60KG x 8 (cramp :p)

SLDL: First time I tried this so did it light: Need to double check my form:
40KG x 10
60KG x 8
60KG x 8

Leg Extensions: Pause at peak: controlled negs.
50KG x 8
70KG x 8
100KG x 7
110KG x 6

Didn't really feel that much of a pump or that tired but left none the less. Upper thigh measured in between 25.5" and 25.75". So putting on a bit of mass. Think it's mostly my adductors but my quads are developing nicely. Bit more deffinition due to lower fat on my legs.

Last edited:
Chicken and what, pleeeeeeeeeeease? :D

Whoever recommended coffee and a banana before every workout should have an e-medal, it's a fantastic little trick. Really feel that extra bit of effort going in.

Back workout today, enjoying it more and more which is good considering I generally hate back workouts.

I've suggested it many times - glad it helped you. :)

Please do :).I'll be interested to hear how you've got on. T-bar rows are something I've just started using. And have ditched Lat Pull Down for Wide Grip Pull Ups and after 2 weeks I've already seen a difference.

Same benny, WG pullups, been doing them a couple of months and seeing noticable differences and width to my back.

Don't you just wanna fast forward a year in time to see waht you're guna look like then ?! :D

Don't you just wanna fast forward a year in time to see waht you're guna look like then ?! :D

Don't I just.

It'd be great if somehow (if we forget it's impossible) to progress with all your strength etc, but not to see any of the mass increases. Then a year to the day you wake up the next morning having accumulated a years worth of mass :p

Would be much more noticable. I suppose that's why we take progression photos!

All you wide grip pull up peoples - I cannot do a single one from a hanging position. I can do about five shoulder width grip pull ups before failure, but the wide grips - there's just no power there. What's your tip for the quickest way towards training myself to do them...keep doing normal pull ups until I can, or keep attempting wide grips via slow negatives and holding myself in the various positions, etc.?

All you wide grip pull up peoples - I cannot do a single one from a hanging position. I can do about five shoulder width grip pull ups before failure, but the wide grips - there's just no power there. What's your tip for the quickest way towards training myself to do them...keep doing normal pull ups until I can, or keep attempting wide grips via slow negatives and holding myself in the various positions, etc.?

Lat pull down?

Long shot here - but has anyone been to Virgin Active Slough? I usually go to Milton Keynes VA but working in Slough 3 days a week means I can hit the gym straight after work.

Definitely lat pulldowns. Put the weight as heavy as you can manage for 6-8 and you will get much more out of it than pullups if you cant do 1 good form rep.

Just placed a bulk order with the guy I buy my supplements from. Popped into Morrisons on the way back as I needed some mixed veg. Ended up coming out with a cooked chicken and a baguette too! yum :)

Ill atm with flu like symptoms so pretty week.

No gym this week and feel as fat as vanessa feltz already !

I know exactly how you feel.
I'm on my rest week, i feel HUGE and like i've put 10lbs on, it's horrible.
But alas, back to it next week.

Had my first physio appointment this week,

I've been told i can work legs, squats/leg press/calve extension/lunges, WOOP! :)

Only i cant do is the one where you use your quads to extend your legs with the weight on your shins (don't recall the name, leg extensions?!).

Roll on leg days :)

Last edited:

You could try gradually increasing the distance of you grip starting at shoulder width

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom